British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Hawkes Bay Area (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/hawkes-bay-area-516585/)

MooMoo290373 Feb 23rd 2008 2:04 pm

Hawkes Bay Area

Hi

We are really hoping to be in Hawkes Bay at the end of this year, just wondering if anyone can give me the low downs on the following areas Taradale and frimley.

Hubby is a nurse so he should be working at Hastings Hospital, we have 3 children 12,10 and ...would like to know about schools, activities for the kids and how easy it would be for me to get a job, currently i work in customer sevice but have also done retail for a number of years, any help or advice about living in Hawkes Bay would be great.:thumbsup:

jads Feb 23rd 2008 3:07 pm

Re: Hawkes Bay Area

Originally Posted by MooMoo290373 (Post 5973568)
Hi

We are really hoping to be in Hawkes Bay at the end of this year, just wondering if anyone can give me the low downs on the following areas Taradale and frimley.

Hubby is a nurse so he should be working at Hastings Hospital, we have 3 children 12,10 and ...would like to know about schools, activities for the kids and how easy it would be for me to get a job, currently i work in customer sevice but have also done retail for a number of years, any help or advice about living in Hawkes Bay would be great.:thumbsup:

Hi

For us we felt that HB was a bit too far from anywhere, Taradale was a good area and there was brilliant football academy nearby. The beaches in HB were either a bit far out or not sandy. The main shopping areas were quite small, napier had a great traditional feel with good seafront (apart from the lack of sand). My wife couldnt stand the drive to HB from Taupo, lots of big drops and very dodgy roads! I would most definately visit before you pack up and go.

Cheers jads

bourbon-biscuit Feb 23rd 2008 8:32 pm

Originally Posted by jads (Post 5973736)
Hi

For us we felt that HB was a bit too far from anywhere, Taradale was a good area and there was brilliant football academy nearby. The beaches in HB were either a bit far out or not sandy. The main shopping areas were quite small, napier had a great traditional feel with good seafront (apart from the lack of sand). My wife couldnt stand the drive to HB from Taupo, lots of big drops and very dodgy roads! I would most definately visit before you pack up and go.

Cheers jads

:blink:

Here's some advice about the area from someone who lives there:

Hawkes Bay is wonderful- a bit of a gem in NZ really. The climate is beautiful and there are gorgeous beaches up and down the coast. Napier is the only one not worth visiting as it's a dirty shingle and dangerous surf. Ocean Beach and Waimarama are awesome as are Waipatiki and all the beaches of Central Hawkes Bay.

Frimley would mean your husband could walk to work and is a really lovely area of Hastings. You'd get more for your money in Frimley than Taradale (which is in Napier so he'd need to drive) and a nicer suburb imo. Frimley has a gorgeous park, excellent schools, a lovely outdoor pool and you'd be 25 mins from Ocean Beach, closer to Haumoana, which doesn't have the sand or surf of Ocean but is lovely for a stroll. Most ex-pats with a bit of money head to the rather idylic suburb of Havelock North, 10 mins from the hospital, where the best schools in the Bay are to be found and some of the best in NZ, along with a 'village feel' excellent parks and amenities, really pleasant shopping, wining and dining, 14 mins from Ocean Beach, a wonderful little cinema (cinema Gold), gorgeous outdoor pool and a big, freindly supportive ex-pat community. The downside, you need about $450K upwards to get a foothold in it, which would buy you somethign unbelieavable in Frimley. If I had $500K to spend without stretching myself, I'd move to Havelock North, if my budget was more around the $350K I'd go to Frimley.

I've been here over a year and yes, it is a long way from Taupo, but you go to Taupo when you want to go to a massive inland lake, can't imagine why else you'd go there! Between Napier and Hastings you've got all the city you need.

Another consideration for Hawkes Bay is that it is the second most affordable area to buy a house in in NZ and the airport is in the process of getting approval to go International. It's a good place to invest and an awesome place to live :D

Let me know if you want any more specific information and be wary of taking to heart the advice of someone who might have day tripped here or had a holiday here.

alchris Feb 23rd 2008 9:11 pm

Originally Posted by bourbon-biscuit (Post 5974597)

Hawkes Bay is wonderful- a bit of a gem in NZ really. The climate is beautiful and there are gorgeous beaches up and down the coast. Napier is the only one not worth visiting as it's a dirty shingle and dangerous surf. Ocean Beach and Waimarama are awesome as are Waipatiki and all the beaches of Central Hawkes Bay.

Frimley would mean your husband could walk to work and is a really lovely area of Hastings. You'd get more for your money in Frimley than Taradale (which is in Napier so he'd need to drive) and a nicer suburb imo. Frimley has a gorgeous park, excellent schools, a lovely outdoor pool and you'd be 25 mins from Ocean Beach, closer to Haumoana, which doesn't have the sand or surf of Ocean but is lovely for a stroll. Most ex-pats with a bit of money head to the rather idylic suburb of Havelock North, 10 mins from the hospital, where the best schools in the Bay are to be found and some of the best in NZ, along with a 'village feel' excellent parks and amenities, really pleasant shopping, wining and dining, 14 mins from Ocean Beach, a wonderful little cinema (cinema Gold), gorgeous outdoor pool and a big, freindly supportive ex-pat community. The downside, you need about $450K upwards to get a foothold in it, which would buy you somethign unbelieavable in Frimley. If I had $500K to spend without stretching myself, I'd move to Havelock North, if my budget was more around the $350K I'd go to Frimley.

I've been here over a year and yes, it is a long way from Taupo, but you go to Taupo when you want to go to a massive inland lake, can't imagine why else you'd go there! Between Napier and Hastings you've got all the city you need.

Another consideration for Hawkes Bay is that it is the second most affordable area to buy a house in in NZ and the airport is in the process of getting approval to go International. It's a good place to invest and an awesome place to live :D

Let me know if you want any more specific information and be wary of taking to heart the advice of someone who might have day tripped here or had a holiday here.

Read your post with great interest as hubby has had a call about jobs in Hawkes Bay, read and looked alot at photos it does look beautiful. We live in a village now so being away from a big city is appealing to us. Is it somewhere you could see being over developed, as more people want to live there? Am I right in thinking this area has the most sunshine? How far would you say to Taupo? eldest son is a keen fisherman so we are sure to have to visit.! Hope you dont mind me asking, it is so different holidaying and living in a place so thanks for your post.
Chris

mickey_d Feb 23rd 2008 10:23 pm

3 Attachment(s)
We live in Central Hawkes Bay, south of Hastings, OH is a nurse at Hastings Hospital.
It is a beautiful area with some great beaches 25 - 40mins away & the Ruahine ranges in the other direction.
You can get some great housing, with land, for 200-350K.
Only downside is it maybe too quiet for some & public transport is non-existant so cars are essential.
Schools are great, not high on the Decile ratings, but our 2 have blossomed since we came down here & are doing really well, far better than they were in the "excellent" schools on the North Shore in Auckland.
We find it really friendly here, loads of expats around & the local sausages are great:rofl: Even nicer when you grow your own;)

Heres a couple of views around the area.

Second one is the only traffic jam we have had since moving here.

Ash1 Feb 23rd 2008 11:16 pm

We very nearly settled in Hawkes Bay / Havelock North.
I think that it a beautifull place and even the areas we were advised to avoid didn`t seem that bad to us. We stayed in Taradale which was lovely and Napier is one of the nicest cities that I have seen in NZ. Yes its 2 hours to Taupo but whats in Taupo that isn`t in Napier/ Hastings?
We ended up in Papamoa, mainly as beach life is important to us but Hawkes Bay came a very close second.
Good Luck
You`ll love it
Ash

bourbon-biscuit Feb 24th 2008 2:37 am

Originally Posted by alchris (Post 5974751)
Is it somewhere you could see being over developed, as more people want to live there?

It has a very long way to go before it becomes 'overdeveloped'. We stayed with relatives near Tauranga (Papamoa Beach) and that felt over-developed to us and the expansion plans for the area are ambitious to say the least. If you like a quieter life and sunshine and great beaches and great schools and mountains and lakes and you want cheaper housing, Hawkes Bay is an excellent choice.

Am I right in thinking this area has the most sunshine?

Along with top of South Island, Bay of Plenty and Northland. Northland has humidity though and has flooded quite majorly twice since we've been here. Bay of Plenty has sky high housing costs. Area top of South Island would be jolly lovely too I'm sure, but we like that Hastings and Napier are close enough together that you get the advantages of two cities but can still cheaply live rurally or in the villages.

How far would you say to Taupo? eldest son is a keen fisherman so we are sure to have to visit.!

2 hours. this may seem a long way, but in Kiwi terms it is not. Also, Taupo isn't the only fishing in NI- my neighbour is forever bringing us crayfish, snapper, various white fish etc and there are a few lakes in the bay worth fishing as well as the vast ocean. ;)

Hope you dont mind me asking, it is so different holidaying and living in a place so thanks for your post.
Chris

Don't mind at all Chris! We had visited most of NZ before we arrived but, ironically, not Hawkes Bay. I second the Central Hawkes Bay dweller above (I also live in Central Hawkes Bay); it's wonderful here, if this is what you're looking for.

Feel free to pm me if you want more specific information :)

bourbon-biscuit Feb 24th 2008 2:55 am

One of Central Hawkes Bay's beautiful beaches:

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/241/5...0942c9dee1.jpg

Shine Falls (in winter):

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/194/4...05809bb496.jpg

Our closest beach (10 mins):

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/189/4...d08cfed844.jpg

Mighty Te Mata Peak:

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/186/4...8e5aecc81d.jpg

Maraetotara Gorge (in winter):

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/195/4...1ac8d8e93c.jpg

Havelock North outdoor pools (four pools: lap pool, plunge/dive pool, learners pool & toddler pool= used by local schools for swim lessons and surf lifesaver= $2 for school kids and $1 for pre-schoolers. No spectators adult charge. You can't see the picnic areas, shady bits and grass in this pic):

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/171/4...61e4b72f24.jpg

bourbon-biscuit Feb 24th 2008 3:00 am

Originally Posted by mickey_d (Post 5975034)
Schools are great, not high on the Decile ratings, but our 2 have blossomed since we came down here & are doing really well, far better than they were in the "excellent" schools on the North Shore in Auckland.

Should point out that there are many high decile schools here though- my kid's school is decile 8 (after appeal as we were graded 9), Havelock schools are 9/10 etc.

BUT decile means very little ultimately. I'd be unsure about a decile 4 and below school but wouldn't bin it out of hand but would want to carefully consider. I wouldn't necessarily assume a decile 8,9 or 10 would be right my kid either.

MooMoo290373 Feb 24th 2008 1:13 pm

Wow thank you for the fantastic pictures:wub:

We having been looking at this region on and off for the last 4 yrs and finally plucked up the courage to do something about our dream of living in Nz:cool:

Hubby has a friend who is is going home to nz in October after living in the Uk for a long time, she comes from Napier so she really sold the area to us as well, and the more i see pictures and hear great things about it the more i know we are doing the right thing :thumbsup: We don`t want to live in a big city they just do not appeal to us as a family. And HB just seems to have all that we are looking for :wub: I just wish i could get on a plane and join you all today ..........:rofl:

Could someone tell me what the average rental price is in the area so we have some idea what we are looking at, and if you could recommend a good motel for when we arrive that would be helpful too. I know i am jumping the gun about motels but would like to work out are expenses for when we arrive.:eek:

jads Feb 24th 2008 3:52 pm

Originally Posted by bourbon-biscuit (Post 5974597)

Touchy Touchy:rofl:
Chill Out its only an opinion!!

Jads :D

mickey_d Feb 24th 2008 6:03 pm

Originally Posted by MooMoo290373 (Post 5976972)
Wow thank you for the fantastic pictures:wub:

We having been looking at this region on and off for the last 4 yrs and finally plucked up the courage to do something about our dream of living in Nz:cool:

Hubby has a friend who is is going home to nz in October after living in the Uk for a long time, she comes from Napier so she really sold the area to us as well, and the more i see pictures and hear great things about it the more i know we are doing the right thing :thumbsup: We don`t want to live in a big city they just do not appeal to us as a family. And HB just seems to have all that we are looking for :wub: I just wish i could get on a plane and join you all today ..........:rofl:

Could someone tell me what the average rental price is in the area so we have some idea what we are looking at, and if you could recommend a good motel for when we arrive that would be helpful too. I know i am jumping the gun about motels but would like to work out are expenses for when we arrive.:eek:

I'd recommend this place for first 2 or 3 days to chill out:thumbup:
http://www.villageinfo.co.nz/accommo...ve_cottage.htm

Rentals vary - $300-500ish per week Hastings & Havelock North, in Central Hawkes Bay they can be as low as $150 per week.
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Prop...rop_default&v=

MooMoo290373 Feb 25th 2008 6:22 am

Thank you for the info mickey will check them out. :thumbsup:

Also if you don`t mind me asking......does most of rentals come furnished or unfurnished, it`s just that i know we will be renting for quite a while and want to know what i am letting myself in for:eek: and once you have found one how quickly does it take before you move in. I hope yu don`t mind me asking all these quesstions:o i am one of these woman who have to have things sorted in her head, so i know what to expect :lol:

Nerine Feb 25th 2008 11:55 pm

Originally Posted by bourbon-biscuit (Post 5975703)
One of Central Hawkes Bay's beautiful beaches:

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/241/5...0942c9dee1.jpg

Shine Falls (in winter):

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/194/4...05809bb496.jpg

Our closest beach (10 mins):

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/189/4...d08cfed844.jpg

Mighty Te Mata Peak:

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/186/4...8e5aecc81d.jpg

Maraetotara Gorge (in winter):

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/195/4...1ac8d8e93c.jpg

Havelock North outdoor pools (four pools: lap pool, plunge/dive pool, learners pool & toddler pool= used by local schools for swim lessons and surf lifesaver= $2 for school kids and $1 for pre-schoolers. No spectators adult charge. You can't see the picnic areas, shady bits and grass in this pic):

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/171/4...61e4b72f24.jpg

How are your plans going for moving to Oz BB, or have you given up on the idea now?

bourbon-biscuit Feb 26th 2008 2:10 am

Originally Posted by Nerine (Post 5983208)
How are your plans going for moving to Oz BB, or have you given up on the idea now?

It's definitely still a plan 'for a few years time' :) We're seriously considering a move to Oz, mainly because my mother is there! But also because we've always got dreadful wanderlust :D Here is the post I made for anyone interested:

We're in NZ and considering Oz in the future for a few reasons:

* wages are small here but taxes and cost of living seem high
* the weather (even here in Hawkes Bay)
* the isolation (we're in Hawkes Bay because we wanted the best weather we could get)
* parents in Oz
* love Oz beaches
* adore the amount of bush in Oz

However there is much we love about NZ, especially

* the schools and education system
* the friendly people

We're thinking about doing this in a couple of years but at this stage I'm wondering a few things and hope you lot can help

1. My dh is a NZ citizen and myself and our 2 children are permanent residents. By the time we plan to head to Oz (if we do), the children and I will have IRRV, but won't be NZ citizens. Where does this leave us in terms of Oz immigration? Would we need to apply under the points system? Dh is a nurse so we shouldn't have any problems finding work.
2. What are the relocation costs to Oz (thinking Newcastle or Brisbane areas) like? We would have about a '20 footer'.
3. What is the primary school system like? IE, is it closer to NZ or UK system because leaving the UK exam focussed, target driven, tunnel visioned nonsense (imo! I realise everyone looks for different things from schools for their kids) and enjoying NZ's holistic, child centred relative utopia has been a major plus of the move and one I'd be reluctant to abandon.

Many, many thanks in advance to anyone who replies to any of this
Coming out the end of a 'full' summer here (note my post was made in July and we'd arrived end of January), I'd say ideally I'd want a climate comparable and not much hotter than Hawkes Bay. My dh has since had a decent pay rise and things are much more comfortable, however my mum is still in Oz and I think ultimately we'll still head over 'in a few years'. Hawkes Bay is quite isolated and it has taken me some time to settle into being here- was interesting to read that post actually because I'd no longer cite that as a negative of Hawkes Bay- settling is indeed a process :)

I can't help but to suspect the motive behind your post was not friendly interest in my life plans Nerine :thumbdown: