Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Hawkes Bay ......Any advice please.

Hawkes Bay ......Any advice please.

Old Mar 8th 2006, 7:14 am
  #1  
BE Enthusiast
Thread Starter
 
Ash1's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 440
Ash1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Hawkes Bay ......Any advice please.

Hi, my family and I are moving out at the end of the year and like the look of the Hawkes Bay area imparticularly Napier. All though we have been to New Zealand (last xmas) we didn`t visit this area.Any advice would greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Ash1 is offline  
Old Mar 9th 2006, 9:38 am
  #2  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 43
salmey is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Hawkes Bay ......Any advice please.

Hi, lived in havelock North for 3 years about 20 mins from napier - what exactly do you want to know?
salmey is offline  
Old Mar 9th 2006, 5:10 pm
  #3  
BE Enthusiast
Thread Starter
 
Ash1's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 440
Ash1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hawkes Bay ......Any advice please.

Originally Posted by salmey
Hi, lived in havelock North for 3 years about 20 mins from napier - what exactly do you want to know?
Hi Salmey,


thanks for reply.We are currently house hunting but are obviously struggling with areas having not visited.Which are the nicer areas to live in.We would love to have a water view and not be too far away from a civilisation.( I have always dreamed of having a boat tied up at the bottom of the garden).Also with 2 young kids 7 and 11, not too far from decent schooling.Thanks.

Ashley
Ash1 is offline  
Old Mar 9th 2006, 11:47 pm
  #4  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 43
salmey is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Hawkes Bay ......Any advice please.

Hi, difficult one there are not to many possibilities . haumoana/te awanga area is good bit hippy in places great in the summer in winter houses do get evacuated well the ones near the beach. napier hill gives you great views over the bay. westshore and bayview are nice. you do have to pay a large premium to live near the sea seems to be getting expensive - though I have long since forgotton what it is like to have pound notes to spend.

With your two children i would certainly check out schools. most schools here the good ones are zoned so this may dictate your choice of house. Primary is up to 12 and intermediate 12 to 14 so you'll nedd to check both out. we spent ages looking and in the end schools dictated havelock for us. ERO the equivalent of ofstead do reports on schools here. very different from ofstead in that they put a positive slant on everything so you want them to say the school is very good not just good.
Good luck if you have any thing specific send us a message..
salmey is offline  
Old Mar 10th 2006, 5:51 pm
  #5  
BE Enthusiast
Thread Starter
 
Ash1's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 440
Ash1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hawkes Bay ......Any advice please.

Originally Posted by salmey
Hi, difficult one there are not to many possibilities . haumoana/te awanga area is good bit hippy in places great in the summer in winter houses do get evacuated well the ones near the beach. napier hill gives you great views over the bay. westshore and bayview are nice. you do have to pay a large premium to live near the sea seems to be getting expensive - though I have long since forgotton what it is like to have pound notes to spend.

With your two children i would certainly check out schools. most schools here the good ones are zoned so this may dictate your choice of house. Primary is up to 12 and intermediate 12 to 14 so you'll nedd to check both out. we spent ages looking and in the end schools dictated havelock for us. ERO the equivalent of ofstead do reports on schools here. very different from ofstead in that they put a positive slant on everything so you want them to say the school is very good not just good.
Good luck if you have any thing specific send us a message..


I would guess that we will also be dictated by the school situation. I didn`t realise that they were zonal.But then maybe youv`e done the homework for us.You have obviously chosen the Havelock area because of the school. Does Havelock have a town centre? Is there plenty of choice for weekly shopping etc?Are you happy there?
Ash1 is offline  
Old Mar 10th 2006, 6:04 pm
  #6  
Give us a kiss
 
Biddy's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Location: Peka Peka - Kapiti Coast - Nice!
Posts: 3,140
Biddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hawkes Bay ......Any advice please.

Originally Posted by Ash1
I would guess that we will also be dictated by the school situation. I didn`t realise that they were zonal.But then maybe youv`e done the homework for us.You have obviously chosen the Havelock area because of the school. Does Havelock have a town centre? Is there plenty of choice for weekly shopping etc?Are you happy there?
I stayed a night in HN a couple of weeks ago - it is gorgeous. I could quite happily live there! A large 'village' centre - bars/banks/shops etc. Playgrounds for the kids. Clean streets. Good natured people drinking outside bars after work etc. Really nice feel to it.

That was only one night - so not exactly an accurate portrayal probably.
Biddy is offline  
Old Mar 10th 2006, 7:46 pm
  #7  
BE Enthusiast
Thread Starter
 
Ash1's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 440
Ash1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hawkes Bay ......Any advice please.

Originally Posted by Biddy
I stayed a night in HN a couple of weeks ago - it is gorgeous. I could quite happily live there! A large 'village' centre - bars/banks/shops etc. Playgrounds for the kids. Clean streets. Good natured people drinking outside bars after work etc. Really nice feel to it.

That was only one night - so not exactly an accurate portrayal probably.

Hi Biddy,thanks , any info is greatfully received.Forewarned is forearmed ..........or something like that!!!Where is Waikanae?
Ash1 is offline  
Old Mar 11th 2006, 12:56 am
  #8  
Give us a kiss
 
Biddy's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Location: Peka Peka - Kapiti Coast - Nice!
Posts: 3,140
Biddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hawkes Bay ......Any advice please.

Originally Posted by Ash1
Hi Biddy,thanks , any info is greatfully received.Forewarned is forearmed ..........or something like that!!!Where is Waikanae?
An hour or so North of Welly on the west coast - the Kapiti coast.

Suits us just fine.
Biddy is offline  
Old Mar 14th 2006, 7:02 am
  #9  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 43
salmey is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Hawkes Bay ......Any advice please.

Hi, no need to go any where else everything in the town centre. easy choice for us 3 good public and 3 good private schools in havelock. Highest 5 of expats in hawkes bay from uk, Holland and south africa. yep it's beautiful or most people I meet seem to think so. you need to check the areas out for yourself though your tastes may be different. napier is beautiful right by the sea though the main beach is too dangerous to swim on, we often spend the weekend there.just for us with work and schools havelock wins.
hawkes bay is certainly i great place and the weather is pretty good for NZ hope it will rain soon it's so drygreat summer from october through till now.
negative in winter the place is pretty slow and we are very isolated 5 hour drive to wellington 7 to auckland.
good luck steve
salmey is offline  
Old Mar 14th 2006, 7:31 am
  #10  
BE Enthusiast
Thread Starter
 
Ash1's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 440
Ash1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond repute
Cool Re: Hawkes Bay ......Any advice please.

Originally Posted by salmey
Hi, no need to go any where else everything in the town centre. easy choice for us 3 good public and 3 good private schools in havelock. Highest 5 of expats in hawkes bay from uk, Holland and south africa. yep it's beautiful or most people I meet seem to think so. you need to check the areas out for yourself though your tastes may be different. napier is beautiful right by the sea though the main beach is too dangerous to swim on, we often spend the weekend there.just for us with work and schools havelock wins.
hawkes bay is certainly i great place and the weather is pretty good for NZ hope it will rain soon it's so drygreat summer from october through till now.
negative in winter the place is pretty slow and we are very isolated 5 hour drive to wellington 7 to auckland.
good luck steve

Thanks Steve. Sounds great. Winters there are still pretty mild aren`t they?The only thing that I`d really love is to be backing on to water.Are there any lakes or estuaries in Havelock? Everything else sounds great. Oh and so where`s the nearest swimming beach?

Cheers Ash (40 today.....Ouch)
Ash1 is offline  
Old Mar 14th 2006, 7:44 am
  #11  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 43
salmey is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Hawkes Bay ......Any advice please.

The Tuki Tuki river runs behind Te Mata peak great views, so the river is close with some proerties on it. have a look at craggy range winery website situated on the river. main beaches are ocean beach 9km long nothoing there but a few batches stunning drive through the hills and waimarama boyth 20 to 30 mins the roads good be well straighter but all roads in nz are interesting. felt cold today up to 22 celcius.
I beleive havelock does have it's own website also might be one for te mata vineyard and black barn vineyard. I'll try to pull up some photos tomorrow . If you have enough pound notes I'm sure you'll find the water bit for us it just came down to schooling in the end and the 5 min drive to work.
Steve
salmey is offline  
Old Mar 14th 2006, 8:07 am
  #12  
Susie..
 
Andrew Cross's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 3,531
Andrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Re: Hawkes Bay ......Any advice please.

Originally Posted by Ash1
Thanks Steve. Sounds great. Winters there are still pretty mild aren`t they?The only thing that I`d really love is to be backing on to water.Are there any lakes or estuaries in Havelock? Everything else sounds great. Oh and so where`s the nearest swimming beach?

Cheers Ash (40 today.....Ouch)
Happy 40th Ash1 !!!!
Never been to Hawkes Bay (we are in christchurch) but if jobs would have taken us there then I would be there now. We looked at the area and houses over the net and think its gorgeous! Best of Luck to you and the family.
Sue
Andrew Cross is offline  
Old Mar 14th 2006, 5:19 pm
  #13  
BE Enthusiast
Thread Starter
 
Ash1's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 440
Ash1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hawkes Bay ......Any advice please.

Originally Posted by Andrew Cross
Happy 40th Ash1 !!!!
Never been to Hawkes Bay (we are in christchurch) but if jobs would have taken us there then I would be there now. We looked at the area and houses over the net and think its gorgeous! Best of Luck to you and the family.
Sue
Thank you sue.Just going out to drown my sorrows.Apparently my life has just begun. Bring it on.Cheers everyone.


Steve, your a star.I will look into what youv`e suggested tomorrow, probably with a sore head.Thank you once again.Any photo`s would be great.If it`s easier to send to an e mail address, please let me know.

Yours Ashley
Ash1 is offline  
Old Mar 14th 2006, 5:19 pm
  #14  
BE Enthusiast
Thread Starter
 
Ash1's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 440
Ash1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hawkes Bay ......Any advice please.

Originally Posted by salmey
The Tuki Tuki river runs behind Te Mata peak great views, so the river is close with some proerties on it. have a look at craggy range winery website situated on the river. main beaches are ocean beach 9km long nothoing there but a few batches stunning drive through the hills and waimarama boyth 20 to 30 mins the roads good be well straighter but all roads in nz are interesting. felt cold today up to 22 celcius.
I beleive havelock does have it's own website also might be one for te mata vineyard and black barn vineyard. I'll try to pull up some photos tomorrow . If you have enough pound notes I'm sure you'll find the water bit for us it just came down to schooling in the end and the 5 min drive to work.
Steve
Cheers Steve .See above.
Ash1 is offline  
Old Mar 15th 2006, 6:01 am
  #15  
Hawke's Bay at last!!!
 
tempus fugit's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Location: Hawkes Bay NZ...at last
Posts: 6
tempus fugit is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Hawkes Bay ......Any advice please.

Originally Posted by Ash1
Cheers Steve .See above.
Hi Ash1
We have just moved to Hawke's Bay 4 weeks ago, in fact we have already bought a house in Havelock North so just ask and i can give you an objective opinion, We have a thirteen year old daughter so can give you some insight into schools as well, we really hit the ground running so hope i can help,what do you want to know specifically?, where will you work?
what i can say is, two words..........Bloody Fantastic!!!
tempus fugit is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.