British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Hawkes Bay (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/hawkes-bay-896661/)

hem82 May 11th 2017 10:51 pm

Hawkes Bay

Hi,

I am not sure if anyone is from Hawkes Bay or even has time to answer this but thought I would give it a go... We are moving to Hawkes Bay in July and are truly looking forward to it. We have a job there and are in the process of looking for accommodation. We both, who live in London, have decided to leave the city, and all the political turmoil here in the UK and move to somewhere beautiful...

I guess, we are both worried about meeting people in New Zealand as we don't know any people in New Zealand. So, I was wondering how people found moving to New Zealand? Were the people friendly? Is there a ExPat community? Are you enjoying it? Was it easy to make new friends and social circles?

Any thoughts would be appreciative. I know its a bit strange and it'll be Ok in the end but as the time is approaching I'm having more doubts about moving sticks to the other side of the world

Thanks to anyone who cares to respond!!!!

Skoskie May 12th 2017 12:30 am

Re: Hawkes Bay

Hi
We moved to Hawkes Bay in January 2016 from the UK and can truthfully say we have been warmly welcomed from the start and now have a wide circle of people we consider friends,including a couple of close ones.

There is so much to do in the area with such a wide choice as well. My advice would be just to get involved in as much as you can - if you think you might be interested in something,give it a try. We made friends originally with a few people my husband met by chance playing golf and the circles have widened from there.

Exactly what there is to do obviously depends on where in HB you live - will you be city based or more rural? Will try and answer any questions if I can - we are Napier based and absolutely love it.

bourbon-biscuit May 12th 2017 2:32 am

Hawke's Bay has the advantage of being remote, far flung and rather insular, which means it's a great place to connect with people! The people are generally friendly and interested, ime. I met and got to know more people living there for two years than I did for seven years in the Waikato and now I live in Australia it is my HB pals (Kiwis and immigrants) that I have maintained best contact with.

laurengtaylor000 Aug 30th 2017 5:23 am

Hi there

Just also moved with my partner from the UK to Hawkes Bay, just wondering if you still settled here?

Finding it a little challenging to settle in and would love to meet someone in a similar position!

Lauren x

Skoskie Sep 2nd 2017 2:35 am

Originally Posted by laurengtaylor000 (Post 12327367)
Hi there

Just also moved with my partner from the UK to Hawkes Bay, just wondering if you still settled here?

Finding it a little challenging to settle in and would love to meet someone in a similar position!

Lauren x

We are still settled here and still loving it - been here about 20 months now. Whereabouts in the Bay are you?

laurengtaylor000 Sep 2nd 2017 7:47 pm

Hi! I had to reread that, I assume you mean 2 months? We are in Mayfair, Hastings! :) You?

Skoskie Sep 2nd 2017 8:52 pm

Originally Posted by laurengtaylor000 (Post 12330077)
Hi! I had to reread that, I assume you mean 2 months? We are in Mayfair, Hastings! :) You?

No,20 months so feeling quite settled.

We moved out here after my husband decided to retire early (still does a fair bit of voluntary work) so I suspect our interests etc ( no ages!) might well be different from yours. But maybe we can still give some tips or hints? Happy to do what we can.

We're in Napier,Hospital Hill btw.

laurengtaylor000 Sep 3rd 2017 1:09 am

Originally Posted by Skoskie (Post 12330093)
No,20 months so feeling quite settled.

We moved out here after my husband decided to retire early (still does a fair bit of voluntary work) so I suspect our interests etc ( no ages!) might well be different from yours. But maybe we can still give some tips or hints? Happy to do what we can.

We're in Napier,Hospital Hill btw.

Oh I just thought it said May 2017 that you posted and due to arrive in July?

Thank you for your kind offer! At present all is well, just finding our feet, if I think of anything I can ask you I'll definitely write back :)

Skoskie Sep 3rd 2017 3:50 am

Originally Posted by laurengtaylor000 (Post 12330161)
Oh I just thought it said May 2017 that you posted and due to arrive in July?

Thank you for your kind offer! At present all is well, just finding our feet, if I think of anything I can ask you I'll definitely write back :)

Different poster! Anyway, let us know if we can help- but you'll be fine.

anja innes Sep 4th 2017 10:31 am

Hi there.

We are a family of 4 with 2 girls aged 4 and 2. We are planning on moving to Hawkes Bay before the end of the year. I'm finding it very challenging to find somewhere furnished to rent for the first week/month. Does anyone have any advice ? Thanks and regards from Shetland Island, Anja

escapedtonz Sep 4th 2017 11:59 pm

Originally Posted by anja innes (Post 12330827)
Hi there.

We are a family of 4 with 2 girls aged 4 and 2. We are planning on moving to Hawkes Bay before the end of the year. I'm finding it very challenging to find somewhere furnished to rent for the first week/month. Does anyone have any advice ? Thanks and regards from Shetland Island, Anja

A motel.

Skoskie Sep 5th 2017 2:23 am

Originally Posted by anja innes (Post 12330827)
Hi there.

You could try Airbnb? Sometimes have rentals available for a few weeks.

Bo-Jangles Sep 5th 2017 7:07 am

Most people start out in holiday homes, serviced apartments or motels or a for a week or two. Just a few more ideas:

https://www.bookabach.co.nz/

Quest Apartment Locations

Campite: Hastings Top Ten