Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Have you got a Nationwide Flex Account?

Have you got a Nationwide Flex Account?

Old May 4th 2010, 3:13 am
Forum Regular

dicknlyn is just really nicedicknlyn is just really nicedicknlyn is just really nicedicknlyn is just really nicedicknlyn is just really nicedicknlyn is just really nicedicknlyn is just really nicedicknlyn is just really nicedicknlyn is just really nice
Default Have you got a Nationwide Flex Account?

If you are an ex-pat living in New Zealand and, like us, have a Flex Account with The Nationwide Building Society back in the UK, you may have received the news that Nationwide are about to withdraw the facility to obtain cash from an ATM outside the UK using a Nationwide Cash Card. (Cirrus)
Effectively, this means that I will not be able to access my pension funds unless I wish to resort to Swift transactions which incur a £20 fee every time, $20 fee at this end to receive it, and takes at least five days to process! Thanks a bunch, Nationwide.
OK, so I've had it good for six years - no fees to access my money, but it's still a pain in the botty-hole non the less.

So I considered various options like having my pension paid directly in to my NZ bank account, Forex, HiFX etc etc.

Then I discovered OrbitRemit. A new online global money transfer brokerage which puts you in control of sending money to - or receiving it from - the UK, without having to step foot in your bank. Sure, there's a fee each time you wish to make a payment, but in my case it's only seven quid which, bearing in mind the convenience of doing it all online, I'm happy with.

Check it out, it might just be for you - regardless of who you bank with in the UK. (www.orbitremit.com)
Old May 4th 2010, 4:21 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Have you got a Nationwide Flex Account?

Originally Posted by dicknlyn
If you are an ex-pat living in New Zealand and, like us, have a Flex Account with The Nationwide Building Society back in the UK, you may have received the news that Nationwide are about to withdraw the facility to obtain cash from an ATM outside the UK using a Nationwide Cash Card. (Cirrus)
Effectively, this means that I will not be able to access my pension funds unless I wish to resort to Swift transactions which incur a £20 fee every time, $20 fee at this end to receive it, and takes at least five days to process! Thanks a bunch, Nationwide.
OK, so I've had it good for six years - no fees to access my money, but it's still a pain in the botty-hole non the less.

So I considered various options like having my pension paid directly in to my NZ bank account, Forex, HiFX etc etc.

Then I discovered OrbitRemit. A new online global money transfer brokerage which puts you in control of sending money to - or receiving it from - the UK, without having to step foot in your bank. Sure, there's a fee each time you wish to make a payment, but in my case it's only seven quid which, bearing in mind the convenience of doing it all online, I'm happy with.

Check it out, it might just be for you - regardless of who you bank with in the UK. (www.orbitremit.com)
Bloody great. Shafted by the finance world yet again. God I hate them all. When is this then going to occur..any ideas??

Last edited by Genesis; May 4th 2010 at 4:57 am.
Old May 4th 2010, 4:42 am
BE Forum Addict

irnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dicknlyn

I do but it's a Visa Debit card I have with my account so should still be fine with that
Old May 4th 2010, 9:01 am
Forum Regular

dicknlyn is just really nicedicknlyn is just really nicedicknlyn is just really nicedicknlyn is just really nicedicknlyn is just really nicedicknlyn is just really nicedicknlyn is just really nicedicknlyn is just really nicedicknlyn is just really nice

Originally Posted by Genesis
Bloody great. Shafted by the finance world yet again. God I hate them all. When is this then going to occur..any ideas??
Slow transition...July through to September apparently.

Yeah, if you have Visa Debit card with Nationwide you will defo be alright, but I assume there are charges for using it??
I very nearly knee-jerked into closing my account, but now I have discovered OrbitRemit, I'll hang in there.

They call the new card a Cash Card Plus. Quite what the plusses are for expats living abroad heaven only knows. There must be quite a few in the same boat. It applies to all overseas customers whether you are simply on holiday or living abroad, whatever the country.
Old May 4th 2010, 6:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

lapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

It's a bit old fasioned I know, but I get a good exchange rate and no fees just by taking a UK cheque into my local Westpac branch (who I bank with) and asking to pay it in.
Old May 4th 2010, 8:31 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by lapsed kiwi
It's a bit old fasioned I know, but I get a good exchange rate and no fees just by taking a UK cheque into my local Westpac branch (who I bank with) and asking to pay it in.
...which is absolutely fine if you factor in the five or so days for the cheque to arrive from the UK, and another 21 days for it to clear!