Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Have you bought a brand new property

Have you bought a brand new property

Old Jun 12th 2009, 9:24 am
Forum Regular

Wilderbeest is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Have you bought a brand new property

I've noticed quite a few new properties for sale on various NZ websites and wondered if they are less likely to have issues that a lot of the older properties have, which countless people on this forum have complained about.

I understand that the build quality of housing should be better due to better building regulations and standards in place.

So does anybody know from local knowledge or from perhaps buying a new property if they are still issues with:

1, Leaky building syndrome?
2. Insulation?
3. Heating?
4. Build quality?
5. Anything else?

Thanks

Old Jun 12th 2009, 10:10 am
By name and by nature

Batty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Have you bought a brand new property

All new builds have to conform to the Building Act 2004 - http://www.dbh.govt.nz/blc-building-act
Old Jun 15th 2009, 10:50 am
Forum Regular

Thanks for the info Batty
Old Jun 15th 2009, 3:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Margaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond repute

My family in Papamoa are having a house built and it will be ready 17th July. Everything has gone according to plan so far.
Have you bought a brand new property-dscn0283_2.jpg

Have you bought a brand new property-dscn0280_2.jpg

Have you bought a brand new property-dscn0282_2.jpg
Old Jun 17th 2009, 9:14 am
Forum Regular

[QUOTE=Margaret Parkinson;7666944]My family in Papamoa are having a house built and it will be ready 17th July. Everything has gone according to plan so far.

-------------------------------------------------
Thanks for the pics - looks like a nice big house. It is indeed an option worth exploring.

Out of interest, do you know the build timescale? The name of the builder (not the guy in the picture per say )?

Thanks
Old Jun 17th 2009, 9:25 am
Cornish Lass

Marika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to behold
Thumbs down Re: Have you bought a brand new property

Hi there,
this caught my eye as we have bought new house, so i scrolled down and saw the pics that Margaret has put on,,they are litterally a stones throw from me, we have bought on same development,, been here since April,, through all the heavy hail we had,, and have some very heavy rain and chilly days, but can report,, house is water tight,, cosy , quieter because of the double glazing, and yes we found it much more value for money buying new propertys at the time we bought. The build time for these houses are at 12 weeks at the mo, am pretty sure thats right. Progress payments have to made along the way and they guarantee the move in date. HTH. Builders are Generation Homes.
Old Jun 17th 2009, 9:47 am
BE Forum Addict

Margaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Marika 38
Hi there,
this caught my eye as we have bought new house, so i scrolled down and saw the pics that Margaret has put on,,they are litterally a stones throw from me, we have bought on same development,, been here since April,, through all the heavy hail we had,, and have some very heavy rain and chilly days, but can report,, house is water tight,, cosy , quieter because of the double glazing, and yes we found it much more value for money buying new propertys at the time we bought. The build time for these houses are at 12 weeks at the mo, am pretty sure thats right. Progress payments have to made along the way and they guarantee the move in date. HTH. Builders are Generation Homes.
Hi not seen you on here for a while so that tells me you are well and truly settled in NZ.
Gail Doug & Ryan move on the 17th July.
Old Jun 17th 2009, 9:52 am
Cornish Lass

Marika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Margaret Parkinson
Hi not seen you on here for a while so that tells me you are well and truly settled in NZ.
Gail Doug & Ryan move on the 17th July.
Hi June,
yes well and truly settled,, life as busy as it ever was,, jobs etc. Yes I had heard that Ryan and his family were moving in soon. My son has played rugby with Ryan a couple of times, when Ryan was in team, so I see him sometimes. Are you planning to visit in the summer ?
Old Jun 17th 2009, 10:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Marika 38
Hi June,
yes well and truly settled,, life as busy as it ever was,, jobs etc. Yes I had heard that Ryan and his family were moving in soon. My son has played rugby with Ryan a couple of times, when Ryan was in team, so I see him sometimes. Are you planning to visit in the summer ?
We are planning on coming in January for 6 weeks. Alan my husband had a another knee replacement on Monday so as soon as he is feeling OK I will be booking our flights. Its only 13 weeks ago he had his other one done.
Old Jun 18th 2009, 12:35 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Margaret Parkinson
We are planning on coming in January for 6 weeks. Alan my husband had a another knee replacement on Monday so as soon as he is feeling OK I will be booking our flights. Its only 13 weeks ago he had his other one done.

Crikey. All best wishes to him. Hope he is up on his feet & chasing you around real soon.
Old Jun 18th 2009, 12:53 am
BE Enthusiast

alanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond repute

Yep we bought new last year and built our own, moved in almost a year ago now
Attached Thumbnails Have you bought a brand new property-slab-down.jpg   Have you bought a brand new property-pre-landscaping.jpg  
Attached Images    
Old Jun 18th 2009, 2:06 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks more food for thought.

If anyone has any do's and don'ts about building from scratch that would be useful
Old Jun 18th 2009, 9:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

alanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wilderbeest
Thanks more food for thought.

If anyone has any do's and don'ts about building from scratch that would be useful
Ok from my experience building, just a couple of pointers.

1. Be aware of PC sums, these tend to be on the low side and may not cover all works
2. When you are invoiced at stage payments check that it is only for works carried out and they are not building in costs of materials for the next stage (banks are clamping down on this)
3. If you need extras over and above the contract GET a quote before they are carried out (E.G. we had a water pipe run from the sink in the kitchen to the other side to supply a fridge freezer and were charged $500 for a job that used no more than $30 in materials)
4. Once PC sums are in place shop about and contact plumbers, sparkies direct, talk to neighbours close by and ask then if they have contacts.
5. When choosing colours for roof tiles and garage doors, remember these are log term things and you are unlikely to change them from "FAD" colours, choose wisely
6. Last but not least ............... Enjoy your new dream home

I probably have lots more but could not think of them off hand, but if anybody wants info or anything give me a shout
Old Jun 19th 2009, 4:10 am
BE Enthusiast

Knew id think of something else, try to make sure the house you build will fit well on the land and also maximise the sun by having a north facing garden
Old Jun 19th 2009, 8:27 am
Memetchi

cypherpunk is a name known to allcypherpunk is a name known to allcypherpunk is a name known to allcypherpunk is a name known to allcypherpunk is a name known to allcypherpunk is a name known to allcypherpunk is a name known to allcypherpunk is a name known to allcypherpunk is a name known to allcypherpunk is a name known to allcypherpunk is a name known to all

Here is an article (8.5MB PDF) published last year in North and South magazine. It deals with the still-ongoing issues of dodgy materials, cladding systems, design problems, and building industry problems in general. It may be a bit alarmist but good food for thought anyway. I tried to upload it here but the site rejected it (too big maybe?).

Also for second-hand housebuyers it has a survey of the typical types of NZ house you will encounter, and their typical problems.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.