Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Have decided to stop thinking about moving to New Zealand and do something about it !

Have decided to stop thinking about moving to New Zealand and do something about it !

Old Oct 13th 2006, 11:50 pm
Just Joined

Elliot&Joy is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Have decided to stop thinking about moving to New Zealand and do something about it !

We live in the North East of England and have 2 lovely kids Cameron 11 and Eleanor 6 . I guess we are going through all the worries that most of you have been through ( will the kids be Ok , will I settle in a new job , will I find a new job , will we miss family and friends etc etc ). So we decided to look on the web and find a site which would enable us to chat to people who have been there and done that ,and share their experiences with us . The house will be up for sale in a few weeks and I have registered with a company called Newjobz who match my skills with employers in New Zealand.
So get in touch ! it will be great to make new friends before we even arrive !!
Look forward to hearing from you

Elliot & Joy
Old Oct 14th 2006, 12:01 am
conquering the world!

karonious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Have decided to stop thinking about moving to New Zealand and do something about it !

Originally Posted by Elliot&Joy
We live in the North East of England and have 2 lovely kids Cameron 11 and Eleanor 6 . I guess we are going through all the worries that most of you have been through ( will the kids be Ok , will I settle in a new job , will I find a new job , will we miss family and friends etc etc ). So we decided to look on the web and find a site which would enable us to chat to people who have been there and done that ,and share their experiences with us . The house will be up for sale in a few weeks and I have registered with a company called Newjobz who match my skills with employers in New Zealand.

Elliot & Joy
Welcome
We have been here all of 11 days! We have found a rented house that we like within easy reach of the hospital I will be working at as of Monday. bought some furniture, a car and most importantly - joined the library and had the internet connected. As a delivery man commented, "you like to settle in slowly don't you!" Can't give you a long term impression but our first impression has been really positive.
Our 10 year old daughter has already made friends at school (only been there a week) and seems to be happy here.
As an ex-RAF family, we can't really comment on missing family and friends as we have not had them close to hand for so long anyway but I think there is a current thread that has been discussing that -check it out.

Karen B
Old Oct 14th 2006, 4:00 am
BE Forum Addict

danny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Have decided to stop thinking about moving to New Zealand and do something about it !

Boro? Wife from Sunderland! Love it up there-total laugh. Have you been to NZ before? What do you do? Where do you want to settle? Why was your title so long? Why aren't you still awake? Why can't England score? Why does the media hammer a man who kept them in the game? Who can the British people vote for who is trustworthy? Why is antisocial behaviour on the rise? Is it purely down to parental attitude? Why are so many illegal unskilled immigrants being admitted to the country? Why is USA so against combatting global warming? Why do magpies stay in couples when they really don't have to?
Old Oct 14th 2006, 7:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Boopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond repute

We live in the North East of England
We have been here 4 months and came from Sunderland. I worked for Teeside NHS trust. www.stuff.co.nz a good site. You can look for jobs and accommodation for any area, also the national and local news.
Old Oct 14th 2006, 6:06 pm
Just Joined

Elliot&Joy is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Have decided to stop thinking about moving to New Zealand and do something about it !

Hi everyone, thankyou for your messages of encouragement we are really up for it, Boro hasn't changed much believe me!!!! they actually won 2-1 today a first in 3 weeks!! anyway can you tell me, my OH is a screen printer by trade but doesn't have any formal qualifications for this trade ie certificates or diplomas etc, but he has over 20 years experience, do you have to have qualifications for the trade you want to get into NZ with or will his experience count? If we went through an agency is there a better chance of getting offered a job and then getting a work permit? If we go through EOI we aren't going to have enough points are we without him having certificates etc.
Please help if you can and answer my query,
Joy

Last edited by Elliot&Joy; Oct 14th 2006 at 7:10 pm.
Old Oct 15th 2006, 4:05 am
BE Forum Addict

Boopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond repute

Hi everyone, thankyou for your messages of encouragement we are really up for it, Boro hasn't changed much believe me!!!! they actually won 2-1 today a first in 3 weeks!! anyway can you tell me, my OH is a screen printer by trade but doesn't have any formal qualifications for this trade ie certificates or diplomas etc, but he has over 20 years experience, do you have to have qualifications for the trade you want to get into NZ with or will his experience count? If we went through an agency is there a better chance of getting offered a job and then getting a work permit? If we go through EOI we aren't going to have enough points are we without him having certificates etc.
Please help if you can and answer my query,
Joy

Some people come over on visa's, get a job and housing then apply for residency, I've heard it's cheaper. I don't know how it works though.
Old Oct 15th 2006, 4:58 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Hello there!! We have been here 18 months and WE LOVE IT>>even in Palmerston North!! It is everything we dreamed of and more..sure we miss stuff about the UK but you have to weigh up pros and cons. We have the type of life here we could never have achieved in the UK..we have a great work/free time balance and endless things to do. The food is marvellous, so's the wine..as are the people too. Our house was a bit cold to start off with but after installing euro central heating and 5 dehumidifiers it is toasty warm. We love the weather, have met some great people and our lives are very full even though we miss folk alot. The beach is only 40 mins away and it is awesome, deserted and beautiful. Then there is so much space..just wide open!! You have much to look forward to.
Old Oct 15th 2006, 3:39 pm
Forum Regular

Maz1 has much to be proud ofMaz1 has much to be proud ofMaz1 has much to be proud ofMaz1 has much to be proud ofMaz1 has much to be proud ofMaz1 has much to be proud ofMaz1 has much to be proud ofMaz1 has much to be proud ofMaz1 has much to be proud ofMaz1 has much to be proud ofMaz1 has much to be proud of

Elliot & Joy
Hi, we have also made the decision to move to NZ. and we are also from th NE- (Hartlepool) 10 mins from yourself. 2 kids 14 & 10 . OH has a job to go to so we are just waiting for police checks to come back then its all go. Good luck with your move.
Old Oct 16th 2006, 10:15 am
Account Closed

eileen35 is an unknown quantity at this point

hi ,we also got e-mail back from newjobz new zealand,but they also want a cheque for

$297 to start the relationship building.So we are hoping to go it our own way,just dont think hubbys job fits the skilled migrant category.He,s plasterer external walls,can also do internal walls.but cant see it on the forms.