Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Has NZ caught kiddy paranoia?

Has NZ caught kiddy paranoia?

Old Oct 30th 2009, 9:07 pm
Forum Regular

Yarpy has a spectacular aura aboutYarpy has a spectacular aura aboutYarpy has a spectacular aura about
Default Has NZ caught kiddy paranoia?

Check out the British news item:

Criminal record checks are turning us into a nation of suspects

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/6448...-suspects.html

Have you been ISA-cleared? If you want a new job then you had soon better be. According to Sir Roger Singleton, head of the Independent Safeguarding Authority (the aforementioned ISA), a clean bill of health from his fledgling organisation will become as important as a professional qualification for any aspiring employee. It will announce to the world that you are not a paedophile, that you have not assaulted a child and do not pose a danger to vulnerable old people. The state will have decreed that you are not a monster. If you are coming around slowly to the view that this country is going mad then confirmation came yesterday with Sir Roger’s comments in this newspaper. It is now, apparently, considered perfectly reasonable to regard the entire adult population as a potential pool of criminal suspects.
John Cox from NZ commented:

Regrettably the same paranoia has infiltrated New Zealand. It is now dangerous for an adult male to be seen with children - even his own. Few men now join the teaching profession due, anecdotally, to the fear of being seen as prospective paedophiles. Airlines won't seat children next to men.
Is this true? Has NZ copied the UK 'Nanny State'?
Old Oct 30th 2009, 9:22 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Has NZ caught kiddy paranoia?

Originally Posted by Yarpy
Is this true? Has NZ copied the UK 'Nanny State'?
Probably to some extent, but not the same extent. Try somewhere outside the English speaking nations?
Old Oct 31st 2009, 9:23 am
Forum Regular

Yarpy has a spectacular aura aboutYarpy has a spectacular aura aboutYarpy has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by JAJ
Probably to some extent, but not the same extent. Try somewhere outside the English speaking nations?
You may be right. If, in the UK, an adult encounters a child in distress the 'safest' thing to do is probably to call the police and let them deal with it.

Pop across the English Channel to France and the culture is reversed. I.e. if an adult encounters a child in distress then there is a legal duty to help out!

I guess NZ will pick up the UK culture to some extent - it's unavoidable I suppose.
Old Oct 31st 2009, 8:43 pm
Here in Dunedin

southerner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yarpy
You may be right. If, in the UK, an adult encounters a child in distress the 'safest' thing to do is probably to call the police and let them deal with it.

Pop across the English Channel to France and the culture is reversed. I.e. if an adult encounters a child in distress then there is a legal duty to help out!

I guess NZ will pick up the UK culture to some extent - it's unavoidable I suppose.
I doubt NZ behaviour has much to do with UK culture, if anything Australia and US have more influence than ole blighty. It's a trend in all westernised countries that paedophiles are now being demonised, with knockon impact on some innocent behaviour.
Old Oct 31st 2009, 9:23 pm
Forum Regular

Well this letter in the UK Daily Telegraph shows just how ludicrous the paranoia is these days:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/comment/l...rotection.html

SIR – I am part of a home-education group that meets once a week for three hours. I have been told by the council that the adults will need a Criminal Records Bureau check if we are to continue. I questioned this. No one is in loco parent is, as each child is accompanied by at least one of its parents. I expect to see the day when a mother needs a CRB check before being allowed to take her baby home from hospital.
The place has gone mad - stark raving mad.
Old Nov 2nd 2009, 2:12 pm
Just Joined

1kiwibird is an unknown quantity at this point

This was the story that really had me wondering about what the UK is coming to.....

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/news...lay-areas.html

Now parents aren't allowed into playgrounds with their own children.....
Old Nov 2nd 2009, 3:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

chrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond repute

After hearing this, and comparing it to other countries, I have come to the conclusion this paranoia seems almost exclusively affects the English speaking world. Spain and Latin America don't have this crazy non-sense going on, neither does Germany, then again probably because most people in these countries still have fresh memories of life under extreme dictatorships.

Didn't one of Hitler's henchmen say something that had to do along the lines of people will give up any and all freedom they have, if you tell them it's for the safety of the children?
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 12:21 am
BE Forum Addict

mickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chrisfromusa
Latin America don't have this crazy non-sense going on
Probably one area of the world that needs this "crazy nonsense", with up to 56000 children murdered each year!!!
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 4:51 am
i want to go to canada

preludefan is an unknown quantity at this point

yes nz has caught kiddie paranoia, people over react to things that arent always there- eg not every male teacher is a peadophile and not every man waving at a kid is dodgy either, but i think its happening everywhere, not just here, i think america is worse
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 12:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

chrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond repute

All it is really, is people reading into the news way too much, and the news printing stories day after day of a kid or woman getting sexually assaulted or something similar. Because, let's admit, nothing sells more papers or gets more views than printing stories about the bogeyman that's after your kids. All boils down to the simple fact that, in addition to racy stuff, fear also sells papers.