Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Has anyone sold a house here in NZ and not used an agent?

Has anyone sold a house here in NZ and not used an agent?

Old Aug 12th 2016, 8:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Has anyone sold a house here in NZ and not used an agent?

I guess it depends where you are, where you live and the agent you get
Old Aug 17th 2016, 10:30 pm
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

Our agent definitely did not act in our interests. In fact, we were a bit tricked by her and unbeknown to us we sold to a regular client of hers.

If I had my time again I would defo have a go at selling myself. If you have the time then just be brave and ask for a price a bit above what you think yours is worth. No need for a fancy sign.
Old Aug 18th 2016, 2:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

Just before we listed ours I put a post on the Cambridge private house sales, Facebook page with a few pictures.
I had people messaging me within a couple of hours, desperate to come and view before it went up.
I'm sure there's a local Facebook page for private sales, for what ever area you live in
Old Aug 20th 2016, 1:25 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bourbon-biscuit
Our agent definitely did not act in our interests. In fact, we were a bit tricked by her and unbeknown to us we sold to a regular client of hers.
So you got a price that you thought was acceptable, obviously as you sold,the fact that it was a regular client meant that the agents contacts helped you sell your house, part of the reason to have an agent
Old Aug 20th 2016, 9:17 am
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrsFychan
So you got a price that you thought was acceptable, obviously as you sold,the fact that it was a regular client meant that the agents contacts helped you sell your house, part of the reason to have an agent
You are defending an agent just because you are an agent without knowing any of the details.

She pulled a rather clever little trick on us and persuaded us to sell at $30k under the lowest valuation. I would tell you the scam/ trick - it was quite good and surprisingly simple - but I wouldn't want to give any would-be scam agents the head's up on it! He was a regular client because he was a landlord building up his portfolio, although our house was a family purchase. But that's not how he learned our house was for sale: he learned that directly from my husband (shared workplace) who sent him pics and blurb (taken by me, written by me) before they were publicly available but alas, after we had signed a contract with her. So no, her contacts did not help us sell our house. But she did help him buy it for the price he wanted. Quid pro quo though cos I learned he then did her a favour in return and they both made a lot of money.

I came to know the behind-the-scenes details because we lived in a small place where the degrees of separation must be about 2 and it turned out that we knew two people she and he clearly banked on us not knowing. We did nothing about it because by the time we realised the full extent of the trick we had *much* bigger fish to fry.

I hardly ever think about it, partly because there are many tales of agents doing grubby shite it seems so unremarkable. I get that you are an estate agent but in the same way that my husband is a conscientious, skilled, and caring MH nurse and yet never rubbishes people's experiences of wicked nurses/healthcare, you should be super wary of wading in to defend EAs as a matter of course.
Old Aug 20th 2016, 9:41 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

I responded to the comments you wrote about the person being her regular client.
I did the course and passed but I am not practising as an agent. And I would not defend any bad deals and would be the first to tell anyone to make complaints. I in fact myself have made complaints about agents sticking mail in my letterbox despite it stating no junk mail. It is not allowed and should be reported.

Everyone has an idea on what they will agree to sell for, they should do their own research in the area they live and be at peace with the sale price, weighing up the cost of maintaining the existing mortgage and monthly payments against possibly being on the market longer and not getting a better offer or staying on the market and getting a better offer that covers and goes above the mortgage payments paid out during that time.
Old Aug 23rd 2016, 11:48 pm
---

Originally Posted by MrsFychan
I responded to the comments you wrote about the person being her regular client.
You also commented that I must have been satisfied with the price because I sold. Hence, I elaborated to explain why we settled for a price that disappointed us but was negotiated by our agent on behalf of our buyers at a time when we were weeks away from leaving the country. We paid her and thought we were her clients; we later learned we were not.

Anyway, the main point is that in a buoyant market it is quite possible to sell without an agent who will cost thousands and may or may not work for the seller.