Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Has anyone moved to NZ with no money ?

Has anyone moved to NZ with no money ?

Old Oct 26th 2006, 11:42 pm
Forum Regular

Stevie1963 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Has anyone moved to NZ with no money ?

Originally Posted by Stevie1963
That is exactly how I feel. Had enough of everything in this country and Mentally prepared but having received quotes for many of the costs today my heart sank.
If I could I would delay it for 6 months or so and save like mad but unfortunately the latest I can start the job is January 2007. Not long to save a few grand is it ?
Also with me gone my Wife will have to take on the costs over here on her own so she couldn't save much either. Trouble is I have already started selling a load of our stuff ready so if we stay in the UK we need to buy loads new to replace it all. Oh S**T Stuck between a rock and a hard place as the saying goes !
Old Oct 26th 2006, 11:46 pm
P2L
BE Forum Addict

P2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond repute

If I could I would delay it for 6 months or so and save like mad but unfortunately the latest I can start the job is January 2007. Not long to save a few grand is it ?
Also with me gone my Wife will have to take on the costs over here on her own so she couldn't save much either. Trouble is I have already started selling a load of our stuff ready so if we stay in the UK we need to buy loads new to replace it all. Oh S**T Stuck between a rock and a hard place as the saying goes !

Good luck to you both, whatever you decide to do,
Old Oct 26th 2006, 11:46 pm
Forum Regular

stacey19 is a name known to allstacey19 is a name known to allstacey19 is a name known to allstacey19 is a name known to allstacey19 is a name known to allstacey19 is a name known to allstacey19 is a name known to allstacey19 is a name known to allstacey19 is a name known to allstacey19 is a name known to allstacey19 is a name known to all

we are going over with about £8000 in a NZ bank and are shitting it, we will have to pay for all new furniture with that, plus bonds, medicals etc. Fortuntaly my dad paid for our flights so that was ok.

I think as long as you have the right frame of mind you can do anything.

I wish you and your family all the best xx
Old Oct 26th 2006, 11:55 pm
Forum Regular

Stevie1963 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by stacey19
we are going over with about £8000 in a NZ bank and are shitting it, we will have to pay for all new furniture with that, plus bonds, medicals etc. Fortuntaly my dad paid for our flights so that was ok.

I think as long as you have the right frame of mind you can do anything.

I wish you and your family all the best xx
Thank you all for your kind words. If we end up staying here I think we will both be on anti depressants for a few months. so am not giving up yet. There has to be a way just need to think of it I am sure
Old Oct 27th 2006, 12:00 am
Banned

Budowsky is a splendid one to beholdBudowsky is a splendid one to beholdBudowsky is a splendid one to beholdBudowsky is a splendid one to beholdBudowsky is a splendid one to beholdBudowsky is a splendid one to beholdBudowsky is a splendid one to beholdBudowsky is a splendid one to beholdBudowsky is a splendid one to beholdBudowsky is a splendid one to beholdBudowsky is a splendid one to behold

Ok. Not taken as a criticism. We didn't intend to go on a wing and a prayer. In our naivety we thought we would be Ok. £6000 in the bank, thought it would set us up ok until I found out the horrendous cost of the shipping, medicals visa and pet transportation. After all the costs are taken out I have estimated we will have around £600.00 left. Now we are pooing it a little bit and almost re-thinking our options. trouble is I am so despondentt the Uk now I don't want to stay.

Steve please don't come out with 600 quid. It really will be a recipe for disaster.

You have no doubt been planning it for some time. Another 6 months won't kill you in England. It is time well spent saving more money.

You probably don't want to hear that, but I gaurantee you won't regret it.

It really is important to come with enough cash to get you on your feet and can be the difference between making it and breaking it.

I speak from experience, I really do. I know what it's like to literally live on a bag of potatoes for a month....Believe me, there only so many ways to cook them
Old Oct 27th 2006, 12:05 am

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Budowsky
Steve please don't come out with 600 quid. It really will be a recipe for disaster.

You have no doubt been planning it for some time. Another 6 months won't kill you in England. It is time well spent saving more money.

You probably don't want to hear that, but I gaurantee you won't regret it.

It really is important to come with enough cash to get you on your feet and can be the difference between making it and breaking it.

I speak from experience, I really do. I know what it's like to literally live on a bag of potatoes for a month....Believe me, there only so many ways to cook them
Sorry to piss on your parade, but I'm with Budowsky on this and I'm not even there!
Old Oct 27th 2006, 12:17 am
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

A long time ago I worked out how much it all cost to wrap up our old lives in the uk and start our new lives here and it was about 25k pounds :scared:
We were a family of five and that was for everything from shipping, flights, paying off car finances, credit cards, setting up here, all white goods, a couple of new mattresses, school uniforms, school fees, newish cars and eventually ending up six months later in our new home
Old Oct 27th 2006, 1:19 am
BE Forum Addict

SarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond repute

I dread to think how much it cost us to come over and set us here.... we have never really sat down and worked it out....but it was thousands. My OH won a car in a Vodafone UK Text competition and selling it enabled us to move here and get set up. If he hadnt won the car I doubt if we'd been able to move here. Him winning that competition really changed our lives. IMHO you need a fair bit of money to set up here specially if you have a family.... only my opinion mind.
Old Oct 27th 2006, 1:49 am
Forum Regular

ssnjeff is a name known to allssnjeff is a name known to allssnjeff is a name known to allssnjeff is a name known to allssnjeff is a name known to allssnjeff is a name known to allssnjeff is a name known to allssnjeff is a name known to allssnjeff is a name known to allssnjeff is a name known to allssnjeff is a name known to all

Steve,
You don't say if you will leave the UK debt free,i think this could have a massive impact on you out in NZ .We wont have a great deal to take out either, although it is more than £600. Like yourself we are and have been desperate to leave this once great country of ours and we nearly did last year,We did however decide in the end to delay for 12 months .We were at 1st totally and utterly devastated and sulked and moaned even more than we normaly do,but the delay has allowed us to pay off all we owe and give us enough start up money to ensure a more solid start to an expected and anticipated difficult 1st year. Non of us want to hear this type of reality check but try to look at the long term goal and don't focus on the short term. Have a word with your future employer, or look at it this way, you found a job once i'm damn sure you could do it again. What ever you decide i wish you all the luck in the world and hope you achieve all that you set out to. If i can help out in any way at all, other than financially, as i need all my dosh for me and mine, give me a shout and I'll help in anyway i can.
Old Oct 27th 2006, 9:20 am
BE Forum Addict

kt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stacey19
plus bonds, medicals
What do you mean by bonds?

What do you mean by medicals? Are these expensive?

K.
Old Oct 27th 2006, 11:08 am
within Touching distance

GowHow is a name known to allGowHow is a name known to allGowHow is a name known to allGowHow is a name known to allGowHow is a name known to allGowHow is a name known to allGowHow is a name known to allGowHow is a name known to allGowHow is a name known to allGowHow is a name known to allGowHow is a name known to all

Originally Posted by kt0157
What do you mean by bonds?

What do you mean by medicals? Are these expensive?

K.
Bonds tend to be deposits for flats - i.e rent is $1000 pm, bond may be 3 months rent.

Medicals - the immigration process requires you to have these. Ours were arounnd £500 for 2 adults and a 2year old
Old Oct 27th 2006, 12:06 pm
Nice Tats

Pompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Budowsky
I came over with 3000 quid which dissapeared fairly quickly. I ran out of money in Picton on my way back to Auckland....

I remember eating my last piece of cheese and thinking oh well its the street for me tonight
cool
Old Oct 27th 2006, 12:12 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

HI, has anyone emigrated to NZ without any financial backing and if so, how have you fared ?
The reason I ask this is my Wife and I have a small amount of savings but didn't realise the costs involved in moving. Once we have covered the air fares, medicals, cost of shipping our most valued possessions etc we will be left with only a few hundred pounds. Once over there we will need to find the money for white goods, sofa, a double bed and at least one car. Just wondering if anyone has actually managed to get back on their feet after such a move and no money. Any comments from people who have experienced this would be appreciated.

If its any help my closest friend moved to NZ a few years ago with bugger all. Admittedly she was married to a Kiwi but they really had nothing and 2 years ago the marriage fell apart in spectacular style and she found herself alone, with 2 kids and no home.

She is now working somewhere the kids can go with her, has been told she can stay permanently and is enjoying her life more now than any other time in her life.
To her credit she is by far the strongest person i have ever met and her wants and desires in life center around horses, her gorgeous boys and friends so she wants very little from life, it has been bloody hard for her and she has had really tough times but i have never seen her so happy and she will never come home.

So i guess what I'm trying to say is that it depends what you want out of life and how much you need to create your comfort zone.

Good luck and if you ever need help I'm sure she would happily help.
Old Oct 27th 2006, 12:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

kt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GowHow
Bonds tend to be deposits for flats - i.e rent is $1000 pm, bond may be 3 months rent.
I see. Makes sense, I suppose.

Medicals - the immigration process requires you to have these. Ours were arounnd £500 for 2 adults and a 2year old
I did mine in Canada. Cost about £100 per adult. Another example of rip-off Britain (although Canada has more than its fair share of rippings off of customers).

K.
Old Oct 27th 2006, 12:43 pm
Forum Regular

Professional_Gypsy is a name known to allProfessional_Gypsy is a name known to allProfessional_Gypsy is a name known to allProfessional_Gypsy is a name known to allProfessional_Gypsy is a name known to allProfessional_Gypsy is a name known to allProfessional_Gypsy is a name known to allProfessional_Gypsy is a name known to allProfessional_Gypsy is a name known to allProfessional_Gypsy is a name known to allProfessional_Gypsy is a name known to all

I've moved to both the U.S. and Australia with just a couple of hundred quid and 2 suitcases - and did very well in both cases. Instead of paying all that money on shipping - cant you sell as much as you can - most of it you dont really need anyway no doubt. Try and rent a furnished place out there, and with a job lined up Im sure you'll have no worries.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.