Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Has anyone moved to NZ with no money ?

Has anyone moved to NZ with no money ?

Old Oct 26th 2006, 9:51 pm
Galaxy 1: Cadbury's 0

uk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Has anyone moved to NZ with no money ?

Originally Posted by kt0157
Depends on what your mortgage payments were, and will be. Accommodation is a huge percentage of outgoings in the UK.
K.
Yep I agree. But isn't it the same for native kiwis or those without Sterling to buy a house outright/put down a large deposit? Plus interest rates are significantly higher in NZ so I could understand if the situation wasn't better at all for many - ie a higher percentage of income going on housing than in the UK. (Just fixed my UK mortgage on 4.49% - brilliant!)

Several sources I have read on house finance say that housing costs should be capped at a maximum of 40% of net monthly income, which is interestingly the figure used by many US based mortgage lenders. Have had experience of it being higher than that (and not with a huge income thus high disposable income) and surely felt the pain!
Old Oct 26th 2006, 9:55 pm
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

When you're born and bred in a country you're not as naive and vunerable though are you .... you know where to shop to save money.
As a brand new migrant you spend more because you just don't know stuff and if your mortgage or rent is huge at the same time it's disaster.
Old Oct 26th 2006, 9:56 pm
Banned

Budowsky is a splendid one to beholdBudowsky is a splendid one to beholdBudowsky is a splendid one to beholdBudowsky is a splendid one to beholdBudowsky is a splendid one to beholdBudowsky is a splendid one to beholdBudowsky is a splendid one to beholdBudowsky is a splendid one to beholdBudowsky is a splendid one to beholdBudowsky is a splendid one to beholdBudowsky is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by sky
We went through a lot more money than that in just a few short months :scared:

That makes me feel better
Old Oct 26th 2006, 9:58 pm
P2L
BE Forum Addict

P2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Budowsky
That makes me feel better

I worry that we'll treat the first few weeks/months like a holiday and when we really need it the pot'll be empty. ( which is probably why I'm in charge of the finances and not Kev!!!)
Old Oct 26th 2006, 10:01 pm
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kev&sarah
I worry that we'll treat the first few weeks/months like a holiday and when we really need it the pot'll be empty. ( which is probably why I'm in charge of the finances and not Kev!!!)
Just try not to convert dollars to pounds and you should be ok. Pretend you only bring in $500 a wk and that'll soon stop you spending
Old Oct 26th 2006, 10:04 pm
P2L
BE Forum Addict

P2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sky
Just try not to convert dollars to pounds and you should be ok. Pretend you only bring in $500 a wk and that'll soon stop you spending

Tried that last year when we came out esp. after an expensive start in Queenstown!!! Just hoping that the exchange stays high, although I've probably cursed that now!! SORRRYYYY
Old Oct 26th 2006, 10:07 pm
Actually just Adie

Jac&Adie is a glorious beacon of lightJac&Adie is a glorious beacon of lightJac&Adie is a glorious beacon of lightJac&Adie is a glorious beacon of lightJac&Adie is a glorious beacon of lightJac&Adie is a glorious beacon of lightJac&Adie is a glorious beacon of lightJac&Adie is a glorious beacon of lightJac&Adie is a glorious beacon of lightJac&Adie is a glorious beacon of lightJac&Adie is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by sky
Having talked to others who've been there, done that, Sky's advice is about the best there is, cos this is what everybody has told us. don't convert the dollar to the pound, cos you is only earning the dollar in NZ not the pound
Old Oct 26th 2006, 10:38 pm

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Stevie1963
Hi. yes I have a job offer so a reasonable income (NZ$ 45000 PA) from the start. I intend to go over 3 months before my Family join me to make sure it is the life for us. I have also been offered free board very kindly by my employer for 12 weeks so would be able to accumulate a small amount of money once over their.
My Wife will eventually be working once she gets over there and finds a job.
We are just worried about not surviving and having to come home due to lack of funds. HELP !!! :scared:
From the sound of it, will you have any choice than to make it work? Unless you're bloody good long-distance swimmers?!
/Joking aside - I rspect people like you who go on a wing and a prayer, but I wouldn't go on that basis if I didn't have some kind of safety net - financially. If you hate your job, hate your boss, they've got you over a barrell. You can't get back to the UK. I wouldn't committ myself without an opt out! I'm not as barve/gun-ho as you. Plus I have 4 kids to settle and pledge that this is the right move for them as well as us! Not a criticism - just an observation!
Old Oct 26th 2006, 11:19 pm
Forum Regular

Stevie1963 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Am Loolah
From the sound of it, will you have any choice than to make it work? Unless you're bloody good long-distance swimmers?!
/Joking aside - I rspect people like you who go on a wing and a prayer, but I wouldn't go on that basis if I didn't have some kind of safety net - financially. If you hate your job, hate your boss, they've got you over a barrell. You can't get back to the UK. I wouldn't committ myself without an opt out! I'm not as barve/gun-ho as you. Plus I have 4 kids to settle and pledge that this is the right move for them as well as us! Not a criticism - just an observation!
Ok. Not taken as a criticism. We didn't intend to go on a wing and a prayer. In our naivety we thought we would be Ok. £6000 in the bank, thought it would set us up ok until I found out the horrendous cost of the shipping, medicals visa and pet transportation. After all the costs are taken out I have estimated we will have around £600.00 left. Now we are pooing it a little bit and almost re-thinking our options. trouble is I am so despondentt the Uk now I don't want to stay.
Old Oct 26th 2006, 11:24 pm
P2L
BE Forum Addict

Ok. Not taken as a criticism. We didn't intend to go on a wing and a prayer. In our naivety we thought we would be Ok. £6000 in the bank, thought it would set us up ok until I found out the horrendous cost of the shipping, medicals visa and pet transportation. After all the costs are taken out I have estimated we will have around £600.00 left. Now we are pooing it a little bit and almost re-thinking our options. trouble is I am so despondentt the Uk now I don't want to stay.

Any chance of family giving you a leg up until you're settled? Maybe an early inheritance?!!!
Old Oct 26th 2006, 11:26 pm
Forum Regular

Any chance of family giving you a leg up until you're settled? Maybe an early inheritance?!!!
Unfortunately not. My Mother is in her eighties and poor and my Wife's parents are far from rich either so we are scuppered so to speak.
Old Oct 26th 2006, 11:30 pm
P2L
BE Forum Addict

Unfortunately not. My Mother is in her eighties and poor and my Wife's parents are far from rich either so we are scuppered so to speak.

Are you too far down the road to delay for the time being? Sounds to me like you're not sure its the right thing to do right at this moment in time
Old Oct 26th 2006, 11:31 pm

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you for taking it in the vein it was meant. Totally understand your despondancy and wanting to go NOW!!!! I'm exactly the same. Perculiarly this week, love my job, but haven't wanted to be there this week. Am already "there" in my heart and just want it to happen, like yesterday!! That's the problem, the seed is sown and it's all consuming.
/Really do wish you well. You've got to be in it to win it!!
Old Oct 26th 2006, 11:36 pm
Forum Regular

Are you too far down the road to delay for the time being? Sounds to me like you're not sure its the right thing to do right at this moment in time
I am 100% sure it's what I want to do for me and my Family but don't want to take too many risks. If it were just me then I would say to hell with it and go but it is very different when you have dependants as no doubt you appreciate.
Old Oct 26th 2006, 11:38 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Am Loolah
Thank you for taking it in the vein it was meant. Totally understand your despondancy and wanting to go NOW!!!! I'm exactly the same. Perculiarly this week, love my job, but haven't wanted to be there this week. Am already "there" in my heart and just want it to happen, like yesterday!! That's the problem, the seed is sown and it's all consuming.
/Really do wish you well. You've got to be in it to win it!!
That is exactly how I feel. Had enough of everything in this country and Mentally prepared but having received quotes for many of the costs today my heart sank.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.