British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Has anyone had problems with HD's (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/has-anyone-had-problems-hds-742633/)

MrsFychan Dec 22nd 2011 1:29 pm

Has anyone had problems with HD's

not working once they have got their PC's back from the container?

Seriously don't want to put the hard drives into hand luggage but also don't want to lose the data.

Any advice gratefully recvd

Stormer999 Dec 22nd 2011 2:09 pm

Re: Has anyone had problems with HD's

Originally Posted by MrsFychan (Post 9802187)
not working once they have got their PC's back from the container?

Seriously don't want to put the hard drives into hand luggage but also don't want to lose the data.

Any advice gratefully recvd

Use a Dropbox....:thumbup:

MrsFychan Dec 22nd 2011 2:53 pm

we have numerous Dropbox spread about but as hubby is a web designer this stuff is in the TB range so unfortunately Dropbox is not an option

sirplug Dec 22nd 2011 4:51 pm

I removed all mine and put them in my luggage, wrapped in towels and clothes. Sent a couple of old laptops in the container with the HD's still in place but with all data backed up onto a 1TB portable HD and they were fine, no issues or data lost.

barnsleymat Dec 22nd 2011 4:54 pm

After a day of so having my computer finally arrive it went BANG. I had a UK surge protector protecting the computer and everything plugged into a UK 4 way with a Kiwi plug. The damage was substantial, it blew everything on the computer apart from the Hard Drive which I've recovered.

A computer repair shop blamed it on a power surge.

simonsi Dec 22nd 2011 5:50 pm

Originally Posted by barnsleymat (Post 9802603)
After a day of so having my computer finally arrive it went BANG. I had a UK surge protector protecting the computer and everything plugged into a UK 4 way with a Kiwi plug. The damage was substantial, it blew everything on the computer apart from the Hard Drive which I've recovered.

A computer repair shop blamed it on a power surge.

More likely the container had sweated during transit across the equator and there was some condensation in the wrong place inside the PC.

Stormer999 Dec 22nd 2011 6:14 pm

Originally Posted by simonsi (Post 9802693)
More likely the container had sweated during transit across the equator and there was some condensation in the wrong place inside the PC.

Yes the shippers have warned me to cover all my leather motorcycling clothing in wax and leave it on because of the container sweat crossing the tropics.

RobClubley Dec 22nd 2011 8:48 pm

No problems with any of our PCs but I did back up everything we cared about to a portable drive and take it in hand luggage just in case.

MrsFychan Dec 22nd 2011 9:39 pm

looks like the best bet is to take them over via plane, lucky we have a free 25kg air freight box from the shippers.

nero Dec 23rd 2011 1:06 am

There is a real problem with condensation / moisture and containers. Some of our electrical equipment survived and some of it died when it arrived. So just to be safe I would back up the data and take with you - if you have a laptop take it with you on the plane, it will be really useful as soon as you land here in NZ.

lardyl Dec 23rd 2011 1:15 am

Originally Posted by nero (Post 9803280)
There is a real problem with condensation / moisture and containers. Some of our electrical equipment survived and some of it died when it arrived. So just to be safe I would back up the data and take with you - if you have a laptop take it with you on the plane, it will be really useful as soon as you land here in NZ.

+1

RobClubley Dec 23rd 2011 1:30 am

Originally Posted by nero (Post 9803280)

Our insurance had an extra percentage for electronic device cover for condensation etc. Can't remember if we took it or not but we didn't need it. Might have just been lucky :)

Persephone Dec 23rd 2011 9:39 am

Not sure why you don't want to carry hard drives onto the plane, is there a problem with this now? I only came over three years ago.
I backed all my important stuff onto a hard drive and carried it over here in my hand luggage, had no problems with doing this. Incidentally my computer was fine and is still going strong so no problem with moisture on the trip over.

MrsFychan Dec 23rd 2011 10:13 am

laptops are going in hand luggage. these are server hard drives and I was thinking about the luggage allowance mainly, it all counts and was hoping not to have to take it up with hard drives. Oh well looks like hubbies boots will now be going in the container :D

Persephone Dec 23rd 2011 10:30 am

Ah hah, I extended my hand luggage as far as I could [and beyond!]. I think I carried on about 14kg:o- a small backpack full of important stuff and documents [which are heavy- paper and electronics] plus a handbag specially chosen for its Tardis like qualities.
Had fun trying to look like it was all as light as a feather going through security...