British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Harvey Norman - stepping back in time! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/harvey-norman-stepping-back-time-508363/)

irnbru14 Jan 22nd 2008 11:58 pm

Harvey Norman - stepping back in time!

No, its not the title of a new American sci-fi blockbuster, its a random note of my comedy experience of buying a hifi in Harvey Norman in Porirua!!

Well, its been a while since I've been in a store that still uses neon signs for one, found the hifi I wanted, yes it was $50 cheaper than Bond&Bond and Dick Smith et al, so picked one up, the guy in the store (nice mullet!) said, hang on I'll do you an invoice, at which point I looked rather amused and bemused, why did I need an invoice, what am I actually ordering, is there nothing in this box I'm carrying???

So he took my details, address etc (why?) and then tried to flog me an extended warranty!!

So I had to take my selction to the "Electrical Cashier" where there was a small queue, the girl on the next tillpoint, labelled "Computer Cashier" was sitting staring into space, so I approached her to be informed I need to use the "electrical cashier as its for electrical stuff"...hmm, not got that hang of this customer service thing here yet have they!

So I queued up, had to tell the girl that the stereo was reserved under my name, even though I had it in my hands, she had to check my name and pull details up on the computer, and then I proceeded to pay for it, on ALSO trying to buy a photo frame at the same time, I was informed by the girl I'd need to pay for that from the Photgraphic counter...

What on EARTH is going on, its supposed to be easy to part with your money in this kind of place, it makes Kirkcaldy & Staines in Welly look like some uber-modern retail environment...instead of a version of Grace Brothers :rofl:

Are ALL stores like this here, don't remember Briscoes or the Warehouse being this silly!!! :confused:

Nerine Jan 23rd 2008 12:08 am

Re: Harvey Norman - stepping back in time!

No, I don't think so - it's unique to Harvey Norman.

All I can think of it that each part of the store is run as a separate business, maybe shops within a shop. Who knows, they could even be separate franchises or something? :confused:

irnbru14 Jan 23rd 2008 12:20 am

Originally Posted by Nerine (Post 5826304)
No, I don't think so - it's unique to Harvey Norman.

All I can think of it that each part of the store is run as a separate business, maybe shops within a shop. Who knows, they could even be separate franchises or something? :confused:

It was just, well, silly!!!! :confused:

Nerine Jan 23rd 2008 12:26 am

That's how it felt to me too when I had a similar experience with buying a toaster of all things. Daft isn't it!

irnbru14 Jan 23rd 2008 12:29 am

Originally Posted by Nerine (Post 5826369)
That's how it felt to me too when I had a similar experience with buying a toaster of all things. Daft isn't it!

Imagine doing that with your food shopping!!

Actually, what if you want to stock out a new house from Harvey Norman, do you have to pay for everything like that?

Why yes sir, you can buy your curtains here, but you'll need to go over there to buy your curtain hooks and rails...at the special hook & rail cashier, we only sell the material components here... :p

Nerine Jan 23rd 2008 12:38 am

:lol: sounds like fun!!

I wonder if the Harvey Normans over here do the same.

luvwelly Jan 23rd 2008 4:28 am

I've never noticed that system in Harvey Norman - absolutely stupid as you say - maybe it's not all the branches. NZ usually does have its customer service well-sussed bearing in mind the isolation.

Kirks= Grace Brothers.....just what I thought the first time I went in.

Was it you who said Dick Smith reminded you of Tandy on another post - took me back.

Couldn't resist opening my Bank Account 'at the sign of the black horse' because it just felt so familiar.

Maz Jan 23rd 2008 5:08 am

Please tell me you haggled.... they're quite open to that in Harvey's. :thumbup: We got all our appliances for a bunch cheaper than sticker price.

Originally Posted by irnbru14 (Post 5826276)
the guy in the store (nice mullet!)

:rofl: :lol:

Maz Jan 23rd 2008 5:09 am

Oh, and thanks a bunch for putting Ms. Minogue's god-awful "Step Back In Time" in my head. :mad: :p

irnbru14 Jan 23rd 2008 5:31 am

Originally Posted by luvwelly (Post 5826870)
I've never noticed that system in Harvey Norman - absolutely stupid as you say - maybe it's not all the branches. NZ usually does have its customer service well-sussed bearing in mind the isolation.

Kirks= Grace Brothers.....just what I thought the first time I went in.

Was it you who said Dick Smith reminded you of Tandy on another post - took me back.

Couldn't resist opening my Bank Account 'at the sign of the black horse' because it just felt so familiar.

Yeah, Tandy, those were the days!!! :D

irnbru14 Jan 23rd 2008 5:31 am

Originally Posted by Maz (Post 5826949)
Oh, and thanks a bunch for putting Ms. Minogue's god-awful "Step Back In Time" in my head. :mad: :p

Hope the music will be better on Saturday then :p

Maz Jan 23rd 2008 5:41 am

Originally Posted by irnbru14 (Post 5827007)
Hope the music will be better on Saturday then :p

Count on it. :thumbup: :D

Nerine Jan 23rd 2008 9:16 am

D'you know....I think there is a link between Dick Smiths and Tandy, you can certainly buy DSE stuff in Tandy's here.

Just looked it up and found that they are both owned by Woolworths and merged a few years back

Maz Jan 23rd 2008 10:13 am

Originally Posted by Maz (Post 5826949)

"If you can't find the music, to get down and boogie
All you can do is... Step Back In Time".

Eegads, it's still going 'round my head! :eek: :eek: :eek:

And with that, I'm off to bed. G'night all. :)

Bellasmum Jan 24th 2008 6:20 am

Originally Posted by irnbru14 (Post 5826276)
No, its not the title of a new American sci-fi blockbuster, its a random note of my comedy experience of buying a hifi in Harvey Norman in Porirua!!

Well, its been a while since I've been in a store that still uses neon signs for one, found the hifi I wanted, yes it was $50 cheaper than Bond&Bond and Dick Smith et al, so picked one up, the guy in the store (nice mullet!) said, hang on I'll do you an invoice, at which point I looked rather amused and bemused, why did I need an invoice, what am I actually ordering, is there nothing in this box I'm carrying???

So he took my details, address etc (why?) and then tried to flog me an extended warranty!!

So I had to take my selction to the "Electrical Cashier" where there was a small queue, the girl on the next tillpoint, labelled "Computer Cashier" was sitting staring into space, so I approached her to be informed I need to use the "electrical cashier as its for electrical stuff"...hmm, not got that hang of this customer service thing here yet have they!

So I queued up, had to tell the girl that the stereo was reserved under my name, even though I had it in my hands, she had to check my name and pull details up on the computer, and then I proceeded to pay for it, on ALSO trying to buy a photo frame at the same time, I was informed by the girl I'd need to pay for that from the Photgraphic counter...

What on EARTH is going on, its supposed to be easy to part with your money in this kind of place, it makes Kirkcaldy & Staines in Welly look like some uber-modern retail environment...instead of a version of Grace Brothers :rofl:

Are ALL stores like this here, don't remember Briscoes or the Warehouse being this silly!!! :confused:

If you have probs with your new hifi your frustrations at point of purchase may loose their significance :)