British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Hard water spots on glasses (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/hard-water-spots-glasses-869695/)

Fasouri Dec 28th 2015 4:19 am

Hard water spots on glasses

Bosch dishwasher, Quantum Max tabs + Finish Rinse Aid, but glasses badly stained. Dishwasher has a salt container but no salt a/v in Supermarkets. Tried cleaning glasses with vinegar, Jif cream, Ceramic oven cooktop cleaner & 0000 wire wool (recommended for car glass spots) to no avail. I use Somat salt in my AEG in Cyprus with good effect. Any idea where to buy dishwasher salt? In the pub the glasses come out of the washer and are dried immediately by hand. Not an option here when the dishwasher runs at night.

Fasouri Dec 28th 2015 11:28 pm

Re: Hard water spots on glasses

60 second water spot remover had a mild effect after one hour use with non abrasive scrub cloth. Rotary sanding with an 800 grade 3M paper definitely not recommended unless you like frosted glass! Miele NZ online shop sells dishwasher salt in 1,5 kg packets for $6.59, shipping extra.

jmh Dec 29th 2015 4:45 am

Where abouts do you live? I wash my glasses in a Bosch using the basic Finish tabs and Finish rinse and don't get any problems with spots on glasses. I leave mine overnight sometimes. I don't bother with salt.

Fasouri Dec 29th 2015 7:53 am

Rotorua

BEVS Dec 29th 2015 8:47 am

Me neither jmh.

simonsi Dec 30th 2015 6:44 am

According to the Lakes council the Rotorua water is very soft, not hard:

http://www.rdc.govt.nz/our-services/...r-hardness.pdf

It may be dissolved metals that are leaving the spots:

http://www.rdc.govt.nz/our-services/...r-Quality.aspx

Maybe you need your pipes flushing ;-)

scrubbedexpat094 Dec 30th 2015 8:14 am

Originally Posted by simonsi (Post 11823917)

Maybe you need your pipes flushing ;-)

I say, that's a bit personal! :o:rofl:

Fasouri Dec 30th 2015 9:38 am

New house 2001, new suburb nothing wrong with the pipes.

simonsi Dec 30th 2015 10:13 am

Originally Posted by Fasouri (Post 11824009)

LOL - 15yrs in a soft water area is plenty to create some dissolving of minerals from plumbing metal fittings (not just pipes if there are any metal pipes twixt you and source) ;-)

jmh Dec 31st 2015 8:11 pm

I'd be tempted to get the water tested. If it's doing that to your glasses, maybe you shouldn't be drinking it.

MrsFychan Dec 31st 2015 11:20 pm

Originally Posted by Fasouri (Post 11824009)

wouldn't call that a new house, ours was 2002 was built way before the new building regs came into force and still in the time frame for leaky homes.

scrubbedexpat094 Dec 31st 2015 11:34 pm

Originally Posted by MrsFychan (Post 11825290)
wouldn't call that a new house, ours was 2002 was built way before the new building regs came into force and still in the time frame for leaky homes.

I wouldn't either! Ours was built in 2004 and whilst better than some we've still had issues with crying windows and mould. Building regs seem rather slack to me.

Snap Shot Dec 31st 2015 11:45 pm

I live in a hard water area. I used to buy 'Finish' dishwasher salt from Harvey Norman. The dishwasher could guzzle a box of salt in about 2 weeks.

I haven't used dishwasher salt for a couple of years now. The 'dishwasher fodder' still comes out of the dishwasher clean though. No spots on glasswear or anything else. I assume the rinse aid deals with it.

However, the heating element of the dishwasher is probably encrusted with mineral deposits like the kettle is. I don't think you can get, 'Calgon' in NZ.

My husband cleaned the inside of the kettle recently. He could have done small a modern art sculpture from the crud he removed.

However, my tea has developed that odd, 'mushroom soup' kind of taste to it that makes me think, 'hmm...time for a new kettle'.

Anyone know when the next Briscoes sale is ? :lol:

MrsFychan Dec 31st 2015 11:58 pm

Originally Posted by Vitalstatistix (Post 11825295)
I wouldn't either! Ours was built in 2004 and whilst better than some we've still had issues with crying windows and mould. Building regs seem rather slack to me.

oohh just missed out, new building regs where introduced 2005 which took over from the 1992 ones but have had ongoing changes to it ever since, from my understanding.

Woodlea Jan 1st 2016 8:36 am

Get your eyes lasered and get rid of the glasses!