Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Happy St Patricks Day

Happy St Patricks Day

Old Mar 16th 2008, 7:36 pm
Forum Regular

Catkin09 has much to be proud ofCatkin09 has much to be proud ofCatkin09 has much to be proud ofCatkin09 has much to be proud ofCatkin09 has much to be proud ofCatkin09 has much to be proud ofCatkin09 has much to be proud ofCatkin09 has much to be proud ofCatkin09 has much to be proud ofCatkin09 has much to be proud ofCatkin09 has much to be proud of
Default Happy St Patricks Day

I'd just like to wish you all a good and happy St Patricks Day.

Don't drink too much and if you're doing an Irish jig.....don't pull anything too painful

Catkin
Old Mar 16th 2008, 7:38 pm
Cornish Lass

Marika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Happy St Patricks Day

From us here in Papamoa, Happy st Paddy's day, to anyone celebrating today.

Have a great Day,
Old Mar 16th 2008, 7:40 pm
By name and by nature

Batty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Catkin09
I'd just like to wish you all a good and happy St Patricks Day.

Don't drink too much and if you're doing an Irish jig.....don't pull anything too painful

Catkin
D'you know what? I forgot about it this morning Someone wished me a happy St Patricks and I went 'oooh - meant to wear something green'
Anyway, to anyone else with Irish connections (or even if you don't), happy St Patrick's Day from me too.
Old Mar 16th 2008, 7:47 pm
Happy in Wellington

RobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond repute

That explains the lass on the train in bright green leggings and a green 80s style dress.

Then again it's probably her normal style of dress!

So how come the whole world has adopted an Irish celebration as a poor excuse for getting pished?
Old Mar 16th 2008, 8:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

irnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RobClubley
That explains the lass on the train in bright green leggings and a green 80s style dress.

So how come the whole world has adopted an Irish celebration as a poor excuse for getting pished?
No idea, but has anyone seen my bottle opener??
Old Mar 16th 2008, 8:20 pm
By name and by nature

Batty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond repute

Gosh, you say that like you've never noticed it before. Who knows. (Most) people like us? There are 50 million Irish passports in circulation? Whatever.
Old Mar 16th 2008, 8:39 pm
Happy in Wellington

RobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Batty
Gosh, you say that like you've never noticed it before. Who knows. (Most) people like us? There are 50 million Irish passports in circulation? Whatever.
I have no problem with it at all - it just seems strange that it's so widely adopted all over the world.

50 million Irish passports? Really? That's impressive! How many actually live in Ireland?
Old Mar 16th 2008, 8:50 pm
Just Joined

JoanneD is a jewel in the roughJoanneD is a jewel in the roughJoanneD is a jewel in the roughJoanneD is a jewel in the rough
Talking Re: Happy St Patricks Day

Happy St Patrick's Day from here in Dunedin. Have a good one everyone
Old Mar 16th 2008, 8:53 pm
By name and by nature

I have no problem with it at all - it just seems strange that it's so widely adopted all over the world.

50 million Irish passports? Really? That's impressive! How many actually live in Ireland?
Around 5m
Old Mar 16th 2008, 8:54 pm
Happy in Wellington

Around 5m

Old Mar 16th 2008, 9:00 pm
By name and by nature

Actually - it used to do my head in when the Yanks would say 'I'm from ... the back end of somewhere in the back end of Cork,say' and I'd go - no you're not, you're from South Carolina lol
Old Mar 16th 2008, 11:01 pm
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute

Actually - it used to do my head in when the Yanks would say 'I'm from ... the back end of somewhere in the back end of Cork,say' and I'd go - no you're not, you're from South Carolina lol
Heh... know exactly what you mean. I'd take them up on it. Conversations would go something like this:

Yank: I'm French
Me: D'ou venez-vous?
Yank: Huh?
Me: I asked where you're from. You said you're French
Yank: Oh, I'm not from France, but I'm French
Me: Make up your mind
Yank: Huh?
Me: Well, you're either French, or you're not
Yank: Well, my family's French
Me: Where are you parents from in France then?
Yank: They were born in Boston
Me: How about your grandparents?
Yank: They went to Paris once!
Me: Doesn't sound like you're very French to me

And so on and so on I think a lot of it is wanting to hang on the coattails of somewhere that's actually got some history. It became something of a sport for me. Yeah, I'm evil.

Hubby is entitled to an Irish passport. Only reason we're going to go for that is so if I snuff it, he can follow daughter when she's old enough to choose where she wants to live, in case she decides to up-sticks and move to Europe as she's a Brit be descent, too. Ireland allows people whose grandparents were born there, the right to Irish citizenship. The vast majority of most other countries only go back to parents' level.

I have no problem with people getting bonafide citizenship by descent if they qualify for it. But I do think it's rather ridiculous for national celebrations to be adopted around the world. Courtesy of hubby, I have an Irish surname, and I don't celebrate St. Paddy's Day. 'Cos I'm not Irish.

</small soapbox>
Old Mar 16th 2008, 11:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

owen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to behold

Yeah got the day booked off and tomorrow to recover. I always say my heritage is Irish but I'm English born and proud, much to my grandparents disgust!!!

Always thought of getting an Irish passport for my travels, but 9/11 plane hijacking changed the point the Irish are harmless and can be released, no-one gets released now
Old Mar 16th 2008, 11:05 pm
Sleazy Dippin Doodle

Kiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond repute

You are right - probably normal style of dress. Actually someone commented recently on this site (Luvwelly?) on seeing someone in a suit and patterned stockings and I realised that *could* have been me!

Not sure about the whole world but i suspect in NZ's case it is just ANOTHER excuse. Not that I am complaining in this case.....
Old Mar 16th 2008, 11:55 pm
By name and by nature

Originally Posted by Maz

I have no problem with people getting bonafide citizenship by descent if they qualify for it. But I do think it's rather ridiculous for national celebrations to be adopted around the world. Courtesy of hubby, I have an Irish surname, and I don't celebrate St. Paddy's Day. 'Cos I'm not Irish.

</small soapbox>
See, I agree with that too. I know I'd just feel like an imposter.

I've just been outside and every second person is wearing green - and I'm not

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.