British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Happy Burns Night!!! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/happy-burns-night-508931/)

irnbru14 Jan 25th 2008 12:34 am

Happy Burns Night!!!

No, not spending too much time in the sunshine with no sunblock on, but just wish everyone a good Burns Night, especially all us Scots far from home!

Wish I could find some decent Haggis, having a craving today, still going to find some Irn Bru later and that will have to do for my wee toast to The Bard of Ayrshire, or maybe a wee dram from the bottle of single malt in the cupboard... :rofl:

"Some hae meat and canna eat,
And some wad eat that want it;
But we hae meat, and we can eat,
Sae let the Lord be thankit"

And I fancy a ceilidh!! :rofl:

garryhg Jan 25th 2008 3:16 am

Re: Happy Burns Night!!!

Originally Posted by irnbru14 (Post 5836069)
No, not spending too much time in the sunshine with no sunblock on, but just wish everyone a good Burns Night, especially all us Scots far from home!

Wish I could find some decent Haggis, having a craving today, still going to find some Irn Bru later and that will have to do for my wee toast to The Bard of Ayrshire, or maybe a wee dram from the bottle of single malt in the cupboard... :rofl:

ha burns night to yeh......

you can get a haggis in the scottish bakery in howick.....
not had one yet,but will try it soon......
Garry will no doubt raise a glass o whiskey to Rabbie Burns later on....JACKY:thumbsup:

Dustybin Jan 25th 2008 3:19 am

Originally Posted by irnbru14 (Post 5836069)

Have neeps and tatties, or a fish supper just like oor wullie!
(where did I leave my bucket?)

Batty Jan 25th 2008 8:02 am

Ah, this brings back memories of a lovely man I worked for some years ago in London. He was always a guest speaker somewhere on Burns Night and looked so cute in his kilt :D Lang mae your lung reek ??? is that it? I used to type his speeches :D

Anyway, from one celt to another - Happy Burns Night :thumbsup:

Izzy and Ian Jan 25th 2008 2:33 pm

I hope you all enjoyed a wee dram last night, in the UK we've still got it to look forward to tonight.

OH went to a Burn's Night supper with the Manawatu Scottish Society. He reckons it's the 2nd best haggis he has ever eaten (or I think that is what he slurred down the phone).

Sorry to have missed the celebrations but I'll be on that plane soon!
:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

irnbru14 Jan 25th 2008 5:33 pm

Originally Posted by Batty (Post 5837049)
Ah, this brings back memories of a lovely man I worked for some years ago in London. He was always a guest speaker somewhere on Burns Night and looked so cute in his kilt :D Lang mae your lung reek ??? is that it? I used to type his speeches :D

Anyway, from one celt to another - Happy Burns Night :thumbsup:

Lang may yer lum reek, its a tag line of a chimney sweeping company in Edinburgh, meaning may your chimney be full of smoke for a long time to come to keep us in business :thumbsup:

Dreamer Jan 25th 2008 6:19 pm

Happy Burns Night :thumbsup:

steffclarke Jan 26th 2008 4:29 am

The best haggis I have found in Wellington is in Moore Wilsons (blackball, just about to eat mine!) but the butcher in Island bay does haggis at this time of year. the Scottish shop in Tawa dies really good square sausage, tottie scones, decent haggis and black pudding, plus Irn Bru from Glasgow not the Aussie stuff in Woollies (although its not bad). I live in Tawa and work in the CBD so if you would like some stuff let me know and I can bring some down to Welly town.
steffclarke the at sign yahoo.co.uk

irnbru14 Jan 26th 2008 8:51 am

Originally Posted by steffclarke (Post 5840766)
The best haggis I have found in Wellington is in Moore Wilsons (blackball, just about to eat mine!) but the butcher in Island bay does haggis at this time of year. the Scottish shop in Tawa dies really good square sausage, tottie scones, decent haggis and black pudding, plus Irn Bru from Glasgow not the Aussie stuff in Woollies (although its not bad). I live in Tawa and work in the CBD so if you would like some stuff let me know and I can bring some down to Welly town.
steffclarke the at sign yahoo.co.uk

Cool, cheers, actually I live in the CBD and work in J'ville, so can do the Tawa run quite easily, but thank you!!! Mmmm, tattie scones....

There is a new restaurant/bar called D4 on Featherston St, they have a few scottish influenced dishes on the menu, including having Scottish Flat Sausage (Lorne Sausage would confuse!) and a Spring Roll Mars Bar, which is almost a deep fried one, with ice cream, its devine!!

Few places in town sell Irn Bru, obviously Cool Britannia on Taranaki St, as well as a newsagent on Lambton Quay, which has a lot of imported UK sweets (oops, lollies!) etc...