Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Happiness in NZ for the wealthy only?

Happiness in NZ for the wealthy only?

Old Nov 9th 2006, 5:40 pm
A land far far away

pixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Happiness in NZ for the wealthy only?

Goldberry, you're not old! My DH had just turned 44 when we got here. ( I am of course a lot younger haha)
We had no plans to visit first at all and I had never been before but was quite happy to just come anyway. But DH wrote to loads of people for jobs ( just cold calling) and was offered several and we didnt know exactly where we wanted to be and he didnt want to just work for someone without meeting them first so we came over first. He went to see some of te people that had offered him jobs and got on really well with one so accepted that before we saw everyone else - and yes he's still working for him and they have become our closest friends. Luckily I loved NZ for the visit so that was it. But really we would have come without a visit first.

I'm sorry I can't help with the money bit as we had sold our house so came with some ( not nearly as much as some people!) but definitely a lot by my standards and I have to be honest when we first arrived we spent a lot - for about the first month. A car, some basics for living as nothing had arrived and it did add up. But we do have the same cars and they are old buckets but going strong.

We live on a farm and grow a huge amount of things. We don't live in a fashionable, expensive area, we live outside a poor ( but lovely, immaculate - I think) tiny village. We do have 2 towns nearby though - one well off and one not well off at all ( more a working town) But there was property here that was cheaper and we love it.

As for the job front - i wasnt going to do a regular job when we got here - it was always the intention that DH would work and I would do the farm.

But Buzzy bee is right a lot of it here ( as anywhere that I know of) it's a who you know thing - within 2 months I had been offered three jobs! All would have been great but I didnt take any as it was really hard work getting things in shape.

Now, however I have more time and am just starting up somethnig with a friend - I would never have had the courage to do this in the Uk, but here I do really feel that there is more of a can do attitude.

We definitey have a much simpler life here ( there's not too much to spend money on if there arent a lot of shops )so for the first time ever we have actually saved!

So Mrs Carefree Silly, ( thats you Goldberry) our story is a happy one. This is the best thing we ever did. It is perhaps not a great comparison to other peoples as it seems a lot of people here live in the bigger places, but it's a success!
Old Nov 9th 2006, 7:31 pm
Forum Regular

westies is a jewel in the roughwesties is a jewel in the roughwesties is a jewel in the roughwesties is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by pixi-dust
Goldberry, you're not old! My DH had just turned 44 when we got here. ( I am of course a lot younger haha)
We had no plans to visit first at all and I had never been before but was quite happy to just come anyway. But DH wrote to loads of people for jobs ( just cold calling) and was offered several and we didnt know exactly where we wanted to be and he didnt want to just work for someone without meeting them first so we came over first. He went to see some of te people that had offered him jobs and got on really well with one so accepted that before we saw everyone else - and yes he's still working for him and they have become our closest friends. Luckily I loved NZ for the visit so that was it. But really we would have come without a visit first.

I'm sorry I can't help with the money bit as we had sold our house so came with some ( not nearly as much as some people!) but definitely a lot by my standards and I have to be honest when we first arrived we spent a lot - for about the first month. A car, some basics for living as nothing had arrived and it did add up. But we do have the same cars and they are old buckets but going strong.

We live on a farm and grow a huge amount of things. We don't live in a fashionable, expensive area, we live outside a poor ( but lovely, immaculate - I think) tiny village. We do have 2 towns nearby though - one well off and one not well off at all ( more a working town) But there was property here that was cheaper and we love it.

As for the job front - i wasnt going to do a regular job when we got here - it was always the intention that DH would work and I would do the farm.

But Buzzy bee is right a lot of it here ( as anywhere that I know of) it's a who you know thing - within 2 months I had been offered three jobs! All would have been great but I didnt take any as it was really hard work getting things in shape.

Now, however I have more time and am just starting up somethnig with a friend - I would never have had the courage to do this in the Uk, but here I do really feel that there is more of a can do attitude.

We definitey have a much simpler life here ( there's not too much to spend money on if there arent a lot of shops )so for the first time ever we have actually saved!

So Mrs Carefree Silly, ( thats you Goldberry) our story is a happy one. This is the best thing we ever did. It is perhaps not a great comparison to other peoples as it seems a lot of people here live in the bigger places, but it's a success!
What a lovely story, I think that if you are happy to come here, be prepared for the first 6months to find your feet, it would help to have some cash to get you started, we were fortunate from the sale of our house in the UK, but we would have still come anway!
We in West Auclkand which is gorgeous, but my idea of perfect house is a small farm somewhere, with enough land to keep 2/3 horses, that is what we are aiming for, we have given ourselves 2 years to find what we are looking for, we were realistic from the start in that we are unlikely to find our dream straight away, but we are having lots of fun getting there!!
Old Nov 9th 2006, 7:44 pm
Account Closed

mazi is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Goldberry
Actually, my first name is carefree and only my second name is silly!

pixie-dust I'm just picking your post for it's the first positive one in this thread amongst others (thank god! and thanks Jude J, Batty, kwprwn and everyone else for your replies and the insights!). It's much appreciated and of help with discussions at home.

However, I have yet to read other than Mazi (who unfortunately regretted the move - and obviously still does - ) that people with really little money, say 10,000 Pounds at the very most, made the move and coped. Where are you guys? Come forward!

We really haven't got the money to go and visit first, although I feel we really should! And then there's the age factor that I should have mentioned in the first place, silly me! Sorry. We have one child still dependent on us whom we want to take with us (he's 15 now), the older son (20) wants to stay here, that's fine too - he's pretty independent. My spouse is an English gentleman from head to toe, the best friend I've ever had, and I thank god every day for having brought him into my life. And thank you England! So far the positive.....

Now for the negative: we're old! (51+40). Did I mention that already? But then, neither of us would mind living a much lower standard than we live now, all of us have lived on beds of nails before. We are closely knit, we're simple people, we love nature. We'd love to live self-sufficient eventually, if that were possible at all. And we have to wait another 2-3 years until son #2 has finished school but that gives us more time to save up and work second jobs to do so.

We could probably go in the hope that eventually we could start our own little business in whatever (Bavarian cuisine anyone? ) but that's all dreams. I just know, I only want to go if I can have a little bit of a garden to grow veggies in, and the spouse can't wait to speak his native language again.

One other question: collecting points in the skilled migrant category. As a family, do points get added up at all? Or could only one of us apply?

Thanks again everyone for being helpful here.
I don't regret it! All experiences are good, even the crap ones. Don't regret the things you do do, only the things you don't - because you can do something about them.

But it was still crap.
Old Nov 9th 2006, 7:49 pm
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute

Pixi-dust, that's very encouraging about starting up your own business! I've always rather wanted to work for myself. In the line of work I'm in, I could earn at least triple the gross, if I worked for myself... quite tempting!

I like your comment about the simpler life. We're in the busy US city 'burbs and long for a simpler life. Fewer people, less hectic, etc. etc.
Old Nov 9th 2006, 7:50 pm
By name and by nature

Batty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond repute

Goldberry, I think you mentioned that you would look for Admin work? There's loads of work in Auckland and it's well paid. I got a job the second day I was here - $45k (there are tradespeople who have to support a family on that!) and that was without Kiwi experience. I had a good CV and great references (and they do check them) and age never came into it (I'm 45). If anything, they seem to appreciate experience more here. If, like me, you think you'll be working till you're 65 then a company will be glad to have someone who wants to be with them for the next 10 years, or whatever.
Old Nov 9th 2006, 10:55 pm
WAS bored stiff in USA

cyndi has much to be proud ofcyndi has much to be proud ofcyndi has much to be proud ofcyndi has much to be proud ofcyndi has much to be proud ofcyndi has much to be proud ofcyndi has much to be proud ofcyndi has much to be proud ofcyndi has much to be proud ofcyndi has much to be proud ofcyndi has much to be proud of

Goldberry you're definitely not too old, we've been here just over 9 months now & have both had birthdays since we got here. I'm 51 now & hubby has just turned 53. What's the saying, "you're only as old as you feel" honestly I feel like we've shed a few years since we've been here. Don't get me wrong it hasn't been all plain sailing but the few down times we've had have been due to lack of familiarity on how things are done or where to go/get, type of situations if you get what I mean.

This isn't our first move to a new country, I met my hubby in Saudi where we were both working 20+ yrs ago. Then we went back to the USA where my hubby comes from & spent 16+ yrs there. Where we were house prices don't rise like back in the UK so we don't have buckets of money to change into $NZ & haven't changed it yet due to the crappy exchange rate with the $US. We're renting right now & quite happy to keep on doing that until we feel the time is right, & our house is so lovely & warm too & we aren't paying a fortune in rent either, just $150 a week. When we do buy (we want a lifestyle property) we know we're going to have a mortgage but so what we had one in the States too. Hubby is the only one working so far, he does earn more than the average wage though & with his overtime we've never felt so well off & we used to own our own business back in the States. We're actually saving now & gone is the stress etc. that went along with being business owners.

Because of coming from the States we couldn't bring all our electrical stuff, so spent a fortune when we first got here replacing everything we'd had to sell for peanuts & give away. We allowed for this & did a ton of research on prices etc, (it helped having a brother living in Auckland who could be totally honest about all that too). I would say it took us a good six months to get sorted out & finally get into a routine with our spending, but it was expensive at first no getting away from that .

We also have a 15 yr old son, & I have to admit I think he went through some down times at first with the homesickness etc. he's not a complainer (sometimes a fault) & just got on with it. Now he's got a ton of pals has been in Venture Scouts for about 6 months & goes off for weekends with them. He's off to Queenstown for a week with them when school breaks up & they've been fundraising like crazy to help pay for it, he's enjoyed every minute of it all. Our 19 yr old didn't come with us instead she joined the US Army & is based in Germany. Now she wishes she'd come with us. Still we'll be seeing her in Jan or Feb when she comes for a holiday & we're really looking forward to that.

We've managed to make some great friends so far both kiwis & other expats. The other expats are also loving it over here too, some have been here awhile and one has only been here a couple of months. one couple is in their mid 50's now & been here 4 yrs.

Do we have any regrets? only one, we wish we'd made this move years ago. Don't let all the negative posts sway you, everyone's different & I for one can't relate to some of the moans & groans, but maybe that's just us
Old Nov 10th 2006, 12:24 am
A land far far away

pixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond repute

yeh!! Lots of happy people! We wish we'd done it yonks ago too - but Im not sure we were ready or willing or able! But I still wish we did but we're here now. Yippee
Old Nov 10th 2006, 12:28 am
A land far far away

Originally Posted by Maz

I like your comment about the simpler life. We're in the busy US city 'burbs and long for a simpler life. Fewer people, less hectic, etc. etc.
Maz we came from the city - we lived right in the heart of the west end of Glasgow and its really thriving and busy as. I hadnt lived in the country at all - and for the first ( few) months I was sh@t scared at night cos it was all the wrong noises! Possums and stuff creeping about. I used to lie awake for hours One night we came home and it was so dark we couldnt see the house! Me and the DH were wondering around the garden like zombies with our arms out trying to touch anything! It was so funny. We've got an outside light now. But it does mean the stars are spectacular.
Old Nov 10th 2006, 12:34 am
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute

Maz we came from the city - we lived right in the heart of the west end of Glasgow and its really thriving and busy as. I hadnt lived in the country at all - and for the first ( few) months I was sh@t scared at night cos it was all the wrong noises! Possums and stuff creeping about. I used to lie awake for hours One night we came home and it was so dark we couldnt see the house! Me and the DH were wondering around the garden like zombies with our arms out trying to touch anything! It was so funny. We've got an outside light now. But it does mean the stars are spectacular.
LOL that's pretty funny! The sky around where we are has a permanent orange glow to it at nighttime. *sigh*

Is it weird not seeing the Big Dipper and the North Pole Star in the sky? I can only pick out a few constellations, but stil...
Old Nov 10th 2006, 2:29 am
A land far far away

Originally Posted by Maz
LOL that's pretty funny! The sky around where we are has a permanent orange glow to it at nighttime. *sigh*

Is it weird not seeing the Big Dipper and the North Pole Star in the sky? I can only pick out a few constellations, but stil...
Yes it is - it's really weird! The plough was the only one I knew and my DH says its there and he sees it - upside down! but I dont Actually there are so many I cant make out anything specific, just gazillions of the things!
Old Nov 10th 2006, 2:58 am
Maz

Yes it is - it's really weird! The plough was the only one I knew and my DH says its there and he sees it - upside down! but I dont Actually there are so many I cant make out anything specific, just gazillions of the things!
Apparently the Southern Cross (the one on the flag) is relatively easy to pick out.
Old Nov 10th 2006, 3:34 am
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Maz
Apparently the Southern Cross (the one on the flag) is relatively easy to pick out.
It is!
The night sky is absolutely awesome over here ... I keep saying this but it really, really is!
It's not that flat black sky like in the uk with a few twinkly stars here and there ... it's 3D with a rich depth to it and great swathes of star systems all twinkling at you in their millions and trillions!
Old Nov 10th 2006, 3:49 am
WAS bored stiff in USA

cyndi has much to be proud ofcyndi has much to be proud ofcyndi has much to be proud ofcyndi has much to be proud ofcyndi has much to be proud ofcyndi has much to be proud ofcyndi has much to be proud ofcyndi has much to be proud ofcyndi has much to be proud ofcyndi has much to be proud ofcyndi has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by sky
It is!
The night sky is absolutely awesome over here ... I keep saying this but it really, really is!
It's not that flat black sky like in the uk with a few twinkly stars here and there ... it's 3D with a rich depth to it and great swathes of star systems all twinkling at you in their millions and trillions!
What a brilliant description sky & oh so true
Old Nov 10th 2006, 4:51 am
Member of Mumo-land

mumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by mazi
We bought an elec blanket, several of those fin heaters that cost the earth to run put pink batts all over the place and put under-floor heating in.

Still freezing.
We did that too - same result! However draw the line at the elec blanket because I always feel like I'm 'sliding into bed after a corpse' so I hate them. (must be hang up from a past life or something) and anyway I'm very warm in bed.
It costs just as much to live here as anywhere else and that's not going to get cheaper with costs being passed on caused by natural disasters, wars over oil etc etc. I would not tell you to come and I would not tell you not to come. The place just bores me and we feel it's the same cost of living as the UK - just in different places - i.e. clothes and food expensive. Sure you can grow your own (we do) but guess what? when that food's in season it's cheap so you're growing it and it's only 99c in Foodtown or somewhere! My OH is on what is classed as a high wage and I work part time on an average wage in an office and we manage but we have no kids, don't smoke and don't have 2 horses to feed like we used to and our money doesn't go anyfurther.
Old Nov 10th 2006, 6:37 am
BE Enthusiast

Paladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud of

yeh!! Lots of happy people! We wish we'd done it yonks ago too - but Im not sure we were ready or willing or able! But I still wish we did but we're here now. Yippee
You're SO positive Pixie!

I want some of whatever you're smokin! (or eatin!)

Keep hold of it sweetheart, a positive attitude is the road to a long happy life!

Dave

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.