Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Happiness in NZ for the wealthy only?

Happiness in NZ for the wealthy only?

Old Nov 8th 2006, 10:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

kwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Happiness in NZ for the wealthy only?

Originally Posted by mazi
Yes. I LOVE it. Anyone who says it's rubbish is wrong and/or a liar.
I like Italy too

despite the fact that 50% of the times I have been there have ended up with my leg in plaster
Old Nov 8th 2006, 10:04 pm

username 34 is an unknown quantity at this point

well I have to be honest - why anyone would want to go all the way round the word, to live somewhere with the same climate as the UK, be worse off financially, have a harder time making a living totally amazes me .....

but nobody wants the same things, and in the same way we have many many expats coming here, earning loads of cash, having lifestyles that many would dream of and lasting only 6 months... whereas I think its bloody fantastic

if you're gonna be a succesful expat - you will be! if you're prepared for a more limited financial lifestyle but are happy in NZ then great!

when I hear of people saying they are amazed by the bad quality housing, the bad weather, the wages, the price of things I tend to have little sympathy, ALL these things are easy to research, easy to find out and on forums like this its easy to get experienced views from other expats.

there should never be a case of - OMG I didnt realise it would be this way!

go prepared, research everything, and then base your relocation on what is realistic. Nowhere is paradise - everywhere has its downsides but if you know what they are and are prepared to live with them you will succeed.
Old Nov 8th 2006, 10:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to behold

Yes. I LOVE it. Anyone who says it's rubbish is wrong and/or a liar.
Glad you have found somewhere you like
Dont know how anyone cant like it, I have only been for hols but from what I remember it was ace.
Oh, yes, apart from way too many flies and rubbish on the beach. Very expensive, I imagine you would have to be very well paid to live there.
Old Nov 8th 2006, 10:06 pm
Banned

Jack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by islandmom
well I have to be honest - why anyone would want to go all the way round the word, to live somewhere with the same climate as the UK, be worse off financially, have a harder time making a living totally amazes me .....

but nobody wants the same things, and in the same way we have many many expats coming here, earning loads of cash, having lifestyles that many would dream of and lasting only 6 months... whereas I think its bloody fantastic

if you're gonna be a succesful expat - you will be! if you're prepared for a more limited financial lifestyle but are happy in NZ then great!

when I hear of people saying they are amazed by the bad quality housing, the bad weather, the wages, the price of things I tend to have little sympathy, ALL these things are easy to research, easy to find out and on forums like this its easy to get experienced views from other expats.

there should never be a case of - OMG I didnt realise it would be this way!

go prepared, research everything, and then base your relocation on what is realistic. Nowhere is paradise - everywhere has its downsides but if you know what they are and are prepared to live with them you will succeed.
I want to come to St Lucia. Giz a job
Old Nov 8th 2006, 10:08 pm
Account Closed

mazi is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Jack Daws
Your real name Yozzer?
Old Nov 8th 2006, 10:09 pm

I would if I lived in St Lucia - but I dont
Old Nov 8th 2006, 10:11 pm
Banned

Jack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond repute

I would if I lived in St Lucia - but I dont
I thought thats where you lived or are you heading there?

I know things

Old Nov 8th 2006, 10:15 pm

I thought thats where you lived or are you heading there?

I know things

well we live near St Lucia - and I want to live there next year... but all depends on the hubsters next job - once you've lived this lifestyle, with his expat package its hard to find something equal and the jobs are pretty rare. Took us 7 years to get this one!

you stalkin me or what??
Old Nov 8th 2006, 10:15 pm
Account Closed

mazi is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Jude J
Glad you have found somewhere you like
Dont know how anyone cant like it, I have only been for hols but from what I remember it was ace.
Oh, yes, apart from way too many flies and rubbish on the beach. Very expensive, I imagine you would have to be very well paid to live there.
PMSL (learnt that from a squirrel I once knew)!!!

I read your post and thought you were talking about NZ!

Truly - I'm not being contentious.

No flies on me!
You can't see the rubbish on the beach because it's too full of tourists so that's a plus.
Expensive? Were you shopping in Armani? The other day I went to the fruit and veg market round the corner from our apartment and got: 1 pineapple, 10 apples, 2 carrots, an onion, some porcini, a courgette and something else which I have forgotten, and it came to less than 5 euro!

I wonder if it had anything to do with showing the Italian Stallion of a fruit-seller my wot nots?

I wonder if he passed Maths at school?
Old Nov 8th 2006, 10:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to behold

[QUOTE=islandmom]well I have to be honest - why anyone would want to go all the way round the word, to live somewhere with the same climate as the UK, be worse off financially, have a harder time making a living totally amazes me .....

It isn't like that for everyone though. The climate isn't the same, where do you get that from? The weather isn't the same as Australia as many people think but its not the same as UK. I moved house in July, so pretty much mid winter, we all sat in the garden and had take away and beer, in the sun. Last year on Queens birthday (June) we went for a swim and sat on the beach for the afternoon. Some days in the summer I cant go out as it's too hot for me. Dont remember having times like that in UK, and I lived on the south coast.

Yes, if you are thinking of coming then do the research, find out as many facts as you can, and try and come and see for yourselves.
Old Nov 8th 2006, 10:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

PMSL (learnt that from a squirrel I once knew)!!!

I read your post and thought you were talking about NZ!

Truly - I'm not being contentious.

No flies on me!
You can't see the rubbish on the beach because it's too full of tourists so that's a plus.
Expensive? Were you shopping in Armani? The other day I went to the fruit and veg market round the corner from our apartment and got: 1 pineapple, 10 apples, 2 carrots, an onion, some porcini, a courgette and something else which I have forgotten, and it came to less than 5 euro!

I wonder if it had anything to do with showing the Italian Stallion of a fruit-seller my wot nots?

I wonder if he passed Maths at school?
I imagine we could do this all day!
No, wasn't shopping in Armani, actually just referring to eating out in the place we were staying, plus a coffee in St. Marks Sq. but then you would expect that to be expensive.
The horny Italians were a laugh, very cheeky, my ex was most put out to see them flirting right in front of him!
Old Nov 8th 2006, 10:49 pm

[QUOTE=Jude J]

It isn't like that for everyone though. The climate isn't the same, where do you get that from? The weather isn't the same as Australia as many people think but its not the same as UK. I moved house in July, so pretty much mid winter, we all sat in the garden and had take away and beer, in the sun. Last year on Queens birthday (June) we went for a swim and sat on the beach for the afternoon. Some days in the summer I cant go out as it's too hot for me. Dont remember having times like that in UK, and I lived on the south coast.

Yes, if you are thinking of coming then do the research, find out as many facts as you can, and try and come and see for yourselves.
yep - thats what I wa trying to say... although its not my cup of tea its each to their own. As with people who would never live here, I just dont know what attraction NZ holds - not meaning that in any way nastily - just it seems, from the majority of posters, their life is harder than it was in the UK - but then again it could be that most of the happy ones dont need this forum any more
Old Nov 8th 2006, 11:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

[QUOTE=islandmom]

yep - thats what I wa trying to say... although its not my cup of tea its each to their own. As with people who would never live here, I just dont know what attraction NZ holds - not meaning that in any way nastily - just it seems, from the majority of posters, their life is harder than it was in the UK - but then again it could be that most of the happy ones dont need this forum any more
Probably! But I think you'll find there are a few of us here that are very happy and still post (like me!) during quiet times at work or something. I had a good life in UK, and have a good one here. The one and only down side for me is that I miss my family. I didn't live near them in UK, and two of my sisters live outside UK anyway, but I do miss them.
One of my sisters lived in HK and now lives in Dubai, she wouldn't last a few months here, she would hate the climate, and the fact that her hubs wouldn't earn the fortune he earns now, and she would most definitely miss shopping! Me, I wouldn't last a week in Dubai. I would hate the climate, the busy streets, the 'keep up with the Joneses' my hubs working all hours then sitting in traffic for hours and the soulless flashiness of the place.

Anyway, I am just agreeing with you! One persons idea of a nice place to live wont be the same for the next person.
Old Nov 8th 2006, 11:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

kwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of light

[QUOTE=islandmom]

Life seems easier here

I dont earn as much as I did in the uk and hubby earns the same, we have a nice house here (just bought it) and we seem to have more money than we did in the UK left over

we just about managed to make ends meet and that was with the help from our little flexible friend sometimes
Old Nov 8th 2006, 11:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

[QUOTE=islandmom]

I post when at work, so happiness in life has nothing to do with it, quietness at work on the other hand does have something to do with it

when I am busy I only pop in randomly

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.