Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Happiness in NZ for the wealthy only?

Happiness in NZ for the wealthy only?

Old Nov 11th 2006, 9:02 pm
A land far far away

pixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Happiness in NZ for the wealthy only?

And here they are a bit more finished ( but not totally or even nearly!!)

Old Nov 11th 2006, 9:13 pm
Galaxy 1: Cadbury's 0

uk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pixi-dust

Look great. Your friends have a lovely spot! Have sent you a message too - Carmen.
Old Nov 11th 2006, 9:14 pm
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

excellent and informative - thanks
Old Nov 12th 2006, 7:38 am
Banned

Jack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond repute

Laura.

How much work need to be done after the house move?

Is it just join them together connect the services and thats it?

Old Nov 12th 2006, 7:46 am
A land far far away

pixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jack Daws
Laura.

How much work need to be done after the house move?

Is it just join them together connect the services and thats it?

well....not quite for the big one its a good bit more than that - it was being used as an old folks nursing home - so it needed a few alterations and also redecorated, some ceilings taken down - they are living in it and some rooms are amazing - but some of it is completely unfinished! It is going to be stunning and parts of it already are - but it is big and these things take time!

With my mum and dads one that was pretty much it. Redecorated, some french doors, a deck and utilities. Those things add up though and the costs of that pretty much doubled what we paid for the house and transort and foundations, but we would have had to do that with a new build and that would have cost so much more that we just couldnt have done it.

I have simplified it somewhat! there is more to it than just plonking a house in a field! but its fun and people have been great.

this is our one as of this afternoon.
Attached Thumbnails Happiness in NZ for the wealthy only?-housepink.jpg  

Last edited by pixi-dust; Nov 12th 2006 at 7:55 am.
Old Nov 12th 2006, 8:04 am
Banned

Jack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond repute

well....not quite for the big one its a good bit more than that - it was being used as an old folks nursing home - so it needed a few alterations and also redecorated, some ceilings taken down - they are living in it and some rooms are amazing - but some of it is completely unfinished! It is going to be stunning and parts of it already are - but it is big and these things take time!

With my mum and dads one that was pretty much it. Redecorated, some french doors, a deck and utilities. Those things add up though and the costs of that pretty much doubled what we paid for the house and transort and foundations, but we would have had to do that with a new build and that would have cost so much more that we just couldnt have done it.

I have simplified it somewhat! there is more to it than just plonking a house in a field! but its fun and people have been great.

this is our one as of this afternoon.
Thanks Laura.

Having a house built would be one of the things we would be thinking about. Not thought of having one moved

Dont suppose you know what kind of cost it is do you. Thinking more about the bigger house.

Cheers

Jack
Old Nov 12th 2006, 8:12 am
A land far far away

Originally Posted by Jack Daws
Thanks Laura.

Having a house built would be one of the things we would be thinking about. Not thought of having one moved

Dont suppose you know what kind of cost it is do you. Thinking more about the bigger house.

Cheers

Jack
At risk of hijacking the thread

the big house cost $160,000 ( Uk+kiwi i told you the wrong price I just asked!) which is unbelievable - it is just massive! that was for the house, transport and foundations. On top of that it needed an aerated septic tank - $16,000 I think ( ours was $7000 cos it didnt need to be aerated) the leccy depends on how far you need to take it from the road/box, also water - we are on stream water in the wee house so it was just plumbing. The costs for ours were plumbing $1500 ( a homer) electricity - $6000, building work, guttering, french door - $8000, septic $7000, a lot of graft by me, I did all the inside stuff and some plumbing( the easy peesy stuff) ( free!) The more you are able to do yourself the better - I needed the experts for the harder stuff.

I dont know the actual costs for any of the other things for the big house. but they have a plan of about $100,000 to make it perfect.
hope this helps.
Old Nov 12th 2006, 8:13 am
Galaxy 1: Cadbury's 0

uk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=pixi-dust]well....not quite

Hi - Sorry need to spread before I can send you karma for your great posts and lovely spirit! Have a smilie instead:

But have to ask about what look like 'tin roofs'? Is this actually what they are and how noisy (rain) and insulating are they? Carmen.
Old Nov 12th 2006, 8:15 am
Banned

At risk of hijacking the thread

the big house cost $160,000 ( Uk+kiwi i told you the wrong price I just asked!) which is unbelievable - it is just massive! that was for the house, transport and foundations. On top of that it needed an aerated septic tank - $16,000 I think ( ours was $7000 cos it didnt need to be aerated) the leccy depends on how far you need to take it from the road/box, also water - we are on stream water in the wee house so it was just plumbing. The costs for ours were plumbing $1500 ( a homer) electricity - $6000, building work, guttering, french door - $8000, septic $7000, a lot of graft by me, I did all the inside stuff and some plumbing( the easy peesy stuff) ( free!) The more you are able to do yourself the better - I needed the experts for the harder stuff.

I dont know the actual costs for any of the other things for the big house. but they have a plan of about $100,000 to make it perfect.
hope this helps.
Thanks. Will do some sums
Old Nov 12th 2006, 8:17 am
A land far far away

[QUOTE=uk+kiwi]
well....not quite

Hi - Sorry need to spread before I can send you karma for your great posts and lovely spirit! Have a smilie instead:

But have to ask about what look like 'tin roofs'? Is this actually what they are and how noisy (rain) and insulating are they? Carmen.
They are tin roofs - surprisingly I really like them! but our one leaks a wee bit if its pouring and the wind is coming from a certain direction! My mum wasn't keen before she came out to visit - she thought it would be really noisy - but its not - I love the noise of the rain on it. We do have insulation in the roof space so that probably dulls it a bit. On their own I dont think they have much insulating properties at all When we put in my mums house it was really hot for a few days - and we opened the hatch to the roof space to see some wiring - and it felt like we had put on a heater - hot ( and I mean really hot) air just rushed down. so it needs insulating!
Old Nov 12th 2006, 9:16 am
BE Enthusiast

Paladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud of

[QUOTE=pixi-dust]
Originally Posted by uk+kiwi
They are tin roofs - surprisingly I really like them! but our one leaks a wee bit if its pouring and the wind is coming from a certain direction! My mum wasn't keen before she came out to visit - she thought it would be really noisy - but its not - I love the noise of the rain on it. We do have insulation in the roof space so that probably dulls it a bit. On their own I dont think they have much insulating properties at all When we put in my mums house it was really hot for a few days - and we opened the hatch to the roof space to see some wiring - and it felt like we had put on a heater - hot ( and I mean really hot) air just rushed down. so it needs insulating!
Is the tin roof noisy in the rain? Or is it that the sound of the rain on a tin roof has some soothing quality to it?
Have never lived in house with tin roof so would be interested to hear!

Dave