Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Happiness in NZ for the wealthy only?

Happiness in NZ for the wealthy only?

Old Nov 9th 2006, 2:40 am
BE Forum Addict

kwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Happiness in NZ for the wealthy only?

Originally Posted by westies
Agree with the terrible weather in Auckland today, I have just stood in the kitchen making the kids some tea, I looked out the window to see a tree fall over and squash the house next door, as though it was made of cardboard, it was a big tree though!!!
The curtains were shut so I presumed they were at work, then the lady crawled out from somewhere, oh my god!!!!!!!!!!!
She is fine and the fire service have just arrived, that's the downfall of living in the bush I guess!
were abouts are you for that to happen???

but glad she is ok
Old Nov 9th 2006, 2:44 am
BE Forum Addict

kwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Batty
I'm (we're) exactly the same. Although, I do go on the net at home but not half as much as I used to. But, we never were people to go out very much and just because we're on the other side of the world doesn't change that. We DO go out much more than we ever used to but that's only in relation to our former lives - someone who's out all the time would probably think our lives really boring And there's nobody I'd rather spend time with than my hubby
we used to go out lots more in the uk, but as lifestyle here is different, not as many pubs etc, we dont go out much now

I wouldnt say its boring although sometimes I get the need to frequent a public house, usually cus I need a beer or two, but we dont actually live near to one that we can walk to, although we could use a taxi, prefer to save my money and saty home and have a beer

everybody has there own way of living their lives, so I dont see how you can judge one person compared to the way you live your own life that sounds quite profound really weres that beer
Old Nov 9th 2006, 2:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Jude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by kwprwn
we used to go out lots more in the uk, but as lifestyle here is different, not as many pubs etc, we dont go out much now

I wouldnt say its boring although sometimes I get the need to frequent a public house, usually cus I need a beer or two, but we dont actually live near to one that we can walk to, although we could use a taxi, prefer to save my money and saty home and have a beer

everybody has there own way of living their lives, so I dont see how you can judge one person compared to the way you live your own life that sounds quite profound really weres that beer

Oh dear dear, you didn't do that very well then did you? The top of the list of priorities when buying a house is: walking distance to the pub!!!!
I've met all my friends here from going to the pub...doesn't sound too good does it!
Old Nov 9th 2006, 2:59 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Jude J
Oh dear dear, you didn't do that very well then did you? The top of the list of priorities when buying a house is: walking distance to the pub!!!!
I've met all my friends here from going to the pub...doesn't sound too good does it!
nope definitely didnt do that at all

damn am gonna have to move again NOT
Old Nov 9th 2006, 3:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Jude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to behold

nope definitely didnt do that at all

damn am gonna have to move again NOT
You could always convert a part of your house into your own bar, take it in turns to be bar maid/man, spill a bit of beer on the carpets so it smells authentic. Wear a low cut top and charge owen $4 a pint??

OK...time for me to go home
Old Nov 9th 2006, 3:37 am
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mazi
...he goes to England!
Then returns to Melbourne
Old Nov 9th 2006, 3:42 am
Forum Regular

westies is a jewel in the roughwesties is a jewel in the roughwesties is a jewel in the roughwesties is a jewel in the rough

were abouts are you for that to happen???

but glad she is ok
We are out in Titirangi, West Auckland, it is sooooooooo windy today, and quite eerrryyyy now!!! Will be glad when hubby gets in.
Old Nov 9th 2006, 4:48 am
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by westies
Agree with the terrible weather in Auckland today, I have just stood in the kitchen making the kids some tea, I looked out the window to see a tree fall over and squash the house next door, as though it was made of cardboard, it was a big tree though!!!
The curtains were shut so I presumed they were at work, then the lady crawled out from somewhere, oh my god!!!!!!!!!!!
She is fine and the fire service have just arrived, that's the downfall of living in the bush I guess!
OMG I just saw a bit on the weather up there, hope the poor woman is ok :scared:
Old Nov 9th 2006, 11:59 am
Forum Regular

Goldberry will become famous soon enoughGoldberry will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by pixi-dust
right - to put it nother way

we have more disposable income here by miles than we did in the Uk, my husband earns more ( shock horror) , our house is gorgeous ( we think), we are happier and have no stress and I could go on for ages and usually do, but you know what - you will all hear what you want to, if you focus on the negatives then thats your problem

What you have to remember is that nobodies experience is yours!! Some people hate NZ for whatever reason and some love it for whatever reason. You have to try it for yourself if you want to.
If you let a forum scare you off then.... well you're a wee bit silly! And I'm sure nobody here is a wee bit silly.

be brave! ( or a wee bit silly!)
Actually, my first name is carefree and only my second name is silly!

pixie-dust I'm just picking your post for it's the first positive one in this thread amongst others (thank god! and thanks Jude J, Batty, kwprwn and everyone else for your replies and the insights!). It's much appreciated and of help with discussions at home.

However, I have yet to read other than Mazi (who unfortunately regretted the move - and obviously still does - ) that people with really little money, say 10,000 Pounds at the very most, made the move and coped. Where are you guys? Come forward!

We really haven't got the money to go and visit first, although I feel we really should! And then there's the age factor that I should have mentioned in the first place, silly me! Sorry. We have one child still dependent on us whom we want to take with us (he's 15 now), the older son (20) wants to stay here, that's fine too - he's pretty independent. My spouse is an English gentleman from head to toe, the best friend I've ever had, and I thank god every day for having brought him into my life. And thank you England! So far the positive.....

Now for the negative: we're old! (51+40). Did I mention that already? But then, neither of us would mind living a much lower standard than we live now, all of us have lived on beds of nails before. We are closely knit, we're simple people, we love nature. We'd love to live self-sufficient eventually, if that were possible at all. And we have to wait another 2-3 years until son #2 has finished school but that gives us more time to save up and work second jobs to do so.

We could probably go in the hope that eventually we could start our own little business in whatever (Bavarian cuisine anyone? ) but that's all dreams. I just know, I only want to go if I can have a little bit of a garden to grow veggies in, and the spouse can't wait to speak his native language again.

One other question: collecting points in the skilled migrant category. As a family, do points get added up at all? Or could only one of us apply?

Thanks again everyone for being helpful here.

Last edited by Goldberry; Nov 9th 2006 at 12:08 pm.
Old Nov 9th 2006, 12:13 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Happiness in NZ for the wealthy only?

Originally Posted by Goldberry
However, I have yet to read other than Mazi (who unfortunately regretted the move - and obviously still does - ) that people with really little money, say 10,000 Pounds at the very most, made the move and coped. Where are you guys? Come forward!

We made the move with £4000 and couldn't cope, without the charity of my in-laws we would have been on the streets.

When we arrived, we spent 3 months applying for every job we could. We went to several interviews. They laughed at my wife when she talked about her experience in England. She always goes to interviews having researched the company interviewing her - one company said "quite the little detective aren't you?". Eventually she got a job she was totally unqualified for because her Mum knew the boss. That's how it works in NZ.

I couldn't get a job at all, and survived by playing my guitar in pubs and living off my Wife's $330 a week. Reasons for not employing me included "overqualified", "not a New Zealander", "no experience" (how much experience do you need to wash cars FFS???). One job I went for (sales assistant in a Resene paint shop) there were 150 applicants for it travelling up to 300k's for the interview!!!!

I might add that when we returned to the UK we both had jobs within 2 weeks paying more than we had ever earned before. New Zealand is a jobs desert.

So it's not just Mazi. I don't regret the move, I just would never live in NZ again. Nor would my wife, and she's a Kiwi.

Buzzy
Old Nov 9th 2006, 12:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

Paladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud of

Ugh!!!

Old Nov 9th 2006, 12:35 pm
Nice Tats

Pompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Genesis
I thought mine was crap too!! Ad went summat like 'Buy a Dyson, it will change your life!'. 3 days later my wife left me for a toyboy she'd been having an affair with for 3 months!!!!!! :scared:

Still if she hadn't pissed off I'd still be stuck in the UK..like she is!!!!

Every cloud has a silver lining..even really dark ones!!!!!!
Happened to me too....still stuck with the Dyson ...still stuck in the UK....still wanna go NZ
Old Nov 9th 2006, 12:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

Paladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Pompey_Paul
Happened to me too....still stuck with the Dyson ...still stuck in the UK....still wanna go NZ
So what's stopping you from going to NZ Paul?
Old Nov 9th 2006, 12:46 pm
Nice Tats

Pompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Paladin
So what's stopping you from going to NZ Paul?
Money, my 15 Year old son lives with me and i would not take him away from his Mum.......all of the relatives in NZ were hers so i dip out on some points.......

I think thats it
Old Nov 9th 2006, 1:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Pompey_Paul
Money, my 15 Year old son lives with me and i would not take him away from his Mum.......all of the relatives in NZ were hers so i dip out on some points.......

I think thats it
Yep, that will do it to ya!!! Fair play to you for doing the right thing by your son tho!
Your scuppered on the new points system then?

Dave

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.