Hamilton Requests

Old Dec 30th 2010, 8:23 am
Forum Regular

john and julie has a brilliant futurejohn and julie has a brilliant futurejohn and julie has a brilliant futurejohn and julie has a brilliant futurejohn and julie has a brilliant futurejohn and julie has a brilliant futurejohn and julie has a brilliant futurejohn and julie has a brilliant future
Cool Hamilton Requests

Hi All, Julie has a job offer in Hamilton so my CV has gone to all in NZ. We are packing now and renting our house out. Now all we need is a bit of local advice / guidance. I would like to be able to sleep at night......we need a decant school for lucy our six year old......do we go Hamilton central.....do we look say half an hours drive outside Hamilton. Somebody said go to Cambridge instead of hamilton? whats the story?
Old Dec 30th 2010, 7:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hamilton Requests

Cant comment on hamilton appart from its a place i go shopping and wouldnt want to live there.
We're in cambridge which is a 20 minute drive away even in the rush hour and its so much nicer here.
the schools are good and are all in nice safe areas (there are no unsafe areas in cambridge).
The town itself is nice and compact ,about as big as ambleside in the lake district if you've ever been there,
and the people are very friendly. we aint got a beach which is about the only thing that lets it down.
Old Dec 30th 2010, 10:56 pm
Forum Regular

john and julie has a brilliant futurejohn and julie has a brilliant futurejohn and julie has a brilliant futurejohn and julie has a brilliant futurejohn and julie has a brilliant futurejohn and julie has a brilliant futurejohn and julie has a brilliant futurejohn and julie has a brilliant future
Arrow Re: Hamilton Requests

Colandros............great to get your overview....really gratefuk thanks. Ironically I nudged a couple of real estate companies for houses in Cambridge, it sounds great. If we get to be beighbours you go to top of the barbie invites. Someone reccomended trade me for cars and I also found a japanese import compamy that get great mpv's. What would you say is the cheapest and most expensive areas of Hamilton or is is the same throughout?...............cheers.........John
Old Dec 30th 2010, 11:12 pm
Forum Regular

bunnyphobia is on a distinguished road

I live a bit further inland (Rotorua) but have visited Hamilton and Cambridge a fair few times to see friends. Have to agree that Hamilton is a bit of a 'nothing' town - lots of stuff, but no real soul. Having said that, my friend lives on the east side of town, and it's very pleasant with lovely views of the Waikato etc.

Cambridge, I like lots. Real character to it, and plenty of horses (if you like that kind of thing), although traffic through the centre of town can get very busy (by NZ standards).

Best of luck with the research
Old Dec 30th 2010, 11:17 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Bunny......great to get your feedback. We are building a picture that Cambridge could be our first years lodging until we are ready to look around and buy. From the pictures I have seen I may forget my job and start a kitchen fitting company !!!.......We thought the longer stay might be a place by the coast, maybe Raglan or somewhere accessible from Cambridge. Please keep me posted....great to get some real time advice.....cheers....john
Old Dec 31st 2010, 2:51 am
BE Enthusiast

Robbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond repute

Cambridge is OK but a houses are pricey! and its full of Pommies.
Old Dec 31st 2010, 4:12 am
Forum Regular

bunnyphobia is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Robbie2010
Cambridge is OK but a houses are pricey! and its full of Pommies.
It is called Cambridge and full of horsey folks...who else would live there?

Oh, and Hamilton would be fine as a base for the first year or so for sure. It's got everything you need to get started.

And Raglan is lovely, but jobs might be quite difficult to find as it's tiny. Unless you're a surf instructor, that is
Old Dec 31st 2010, 7:49 am
BE Enthusiast

Browner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond repute

From what Ive seen of Cambridge, its a hundred times better than Hamilton.
Old Dec 31st 2010, 3:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

j19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond repute

I adore Cambridge but my cuzzy lives in Beerescourt in Hamilton, one road back from the mighty Waikato. It seems a nice area and the walk by the river is lovely.
Got be a short term stay and a good look round Hamilton and the surrounds I reckon. What one of us loves you might hate, and Trademe isn't always the best view.
Saying that I've visited every Primary in Cambridge and the Middle and High school so ask away!!!! Also a couple of more rural schools.
Old Jan 1st 2011, 8:05 am
conquering the world!

karonious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond repute

I liked Hamilton, lived there for over a year. Circumstances dictated a move or I may still be there. I put a bit on the Wiki a while ago with my views, have a look and see if it's still there.
Old Jan 1st 2011, 8:54 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by bunnyphobia
It is called Cambridge and full of horsey folks...who else would live there?

Oh, and Hamilton would be fine as a base for the first year or so for sure. It's got everything you need to get started.

And Raglan is lovely, but jobs might be quite difficult to find as it's tiny. Unless you're a surf instructor, that is
Hi Bunny a happy new year to you........Thanks for the update on the socio ecomomics of Cambridge....I best start looking for a house with stables, look on the 'trade me' for two horses and learn ho to handle a speedy trap. I wouldn't want to go there and not fit in !!.....must get a pair of jodphurs lol
Old Jan 1st 2011, 9:15 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by j19fmm
I adore Cambridge but my cuzzy lives in Beerescourt in Hamilton, one road back from the mighty Waikato. It seems a nice area and the walk by the river is lovely.
Got be a short term stay and a good look round Hamilton and the surrounds I reckon. What one of us loves you might hate, and Trademe isn't always the best view.
Saying that I've visited every Primary in Cambridge and the Middle and High school so ask away!!!! Also a couple of more rural schools.
A Happy new year to you J19...........thanks for the update. I am inclined to go with the mass view that we should work in hamilton and live in Cambridge for at least the first year. Glad 'trade me' is not the only outlet, I will be looking to get to the auctions for an ex rental or ex fleet company car. You sound like a school inspector !!....Julie is llloking at school web sites, I will keep you posted..........Cheers...john
Old Jan 1st 2011, 9:35 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by karonious
I liked Hamilton, lived there for over a year. Circumstances dictated a move or I may still be there. I put a bit on the Wiki a while ago with my views, have a look and see if it's still there.
Hi Karen, great to get more feedback. I read some of your profile...I think as a Scotsman I can relate to you humour. I also think you need to read 'A million little peices' and then turn your memoirs into a short story.........It looks like our first year will be in cambridge.........cheers, john, julie and little lucy.
Old Jan 1st 2011, 9:36 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Browner_
From what Ive seen of Cambridge, its a hundred times better than Hamilton.
Sounds like the general concensus is Cambridge, I think I better bring my mountain bike with me !!