Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

HAMILTON - meetups -Cambridge/Te awamutu

HAMILTON - meetups -Cambridge/Te awamutu

Old Aug 27th 2009, 6:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Psychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: HAMILTON - meetups -Cambridge/Te awamutu

Originally Posted by DaranAndKaren
Hi Tracy, Hi Richard.

Good to hear back from you.
So how goes the hospital? Which department/building are you in? I started work there on Monday as the IS Service Desk Team Lead. The guys you ring when your computer doesn't work?

A beer sounds good, where about do you live? We are down in Cambridge. are you ever in the neighbourhood?, alternatively we could meet up after work somewhere in Hamilton?

Speak soon.

Daran (and Karen)
Hello, sorry to hijack this thread but i was wondering if you good people in Hamilton/Cambridge could give me your thoughts on living there.

OH has a job to start in Hamilton on 1st Feb 10. We are just going through the stuff with the immigration (submitting ITA in person tmrw). We are hoping to get there just after Christmas, we have 2 boys age 8 and 12 (BY THEN). We will probably look to rent in Cambridge but would love your feedback, even if you havent been there very long

Like someone said earlier on, there doesnt seem to be many around this area, and the threads seem to concentrate on welly, auckland, nelson and stuff.

I wont be a pest, if no one responds i will take the hint.

Congratulations to all you good people who already did it
Thanks in advance
Old Aug 27th 2009, 9:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

j19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Psychopandy
Hello, sorry to hijack this thread but i was wondering if you good people in Hamilton/Cambridge could give me your thoughts on living there.

OH has a job to start in Hamilton on 1st Feb 10. We are just going through the stuff with the immigration (submitting ITA in person tmrw). We are hoping to get there just after Christmas, we have 2 boys age 8 and 12 (BY THEN). We will probably look to rent in Cambridge but would love your feedback, even if you havent been there very long

Like someone said earlier on, there doesnt seem to be many around this area, and the threads seem to concentrate on welly, auckland, nelson and stuff.

Thanks in advance

Have sent you a PM
Old Aug 27th 2009, 9:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Psychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by j19fmm
Have sent you a PM
havent had one of those before - am gonna try and find it x
Old Aug 27th 2009, 10:46 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

I hope you found it.

Have some karma also.
Old Aug 28th 2009, 3:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

j19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
I hope you found it.

Have some karma also.
Yup she found it, and sent me one back
Old Aug 28th 2009, 8:39 pm
Just Joined

tturner1 is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE=Psychopandy;7880717]Hello, sorry to hijack this thread but i was wondering if you good people in Hamilton/Cambridge could give me your thoughts on living there.

hi we have been here since april, we wouldnt say Hamilton is a city, as we are from west yorkshire too!! but its very central for travelling from. 30-40mins to the west coast raglan, just over an hour to tauranga which is beautiful.
hamilton has good sports venues, v8 super cars, horseracing, waikato stadium, rugby, cricket stand. etc and the waikato river. Hamilton is very rural, lots of farms dairy farms surrounding the area. there are bad and good areas in hamilton for housing, like everywhere I suppose and schooling seems ok.
good luck with your immigration stuff, at least after xmas when u come over it will be warmer than west yorkshire, so everyone tells me!!!

not met many ex-pats, except at work and they seem to be settled, few I met been here 7-15 years.

we would like to get in on the meet-ups.!!
Old Aug 30th 2009, 10:31 am
Just Joined

DaranAndKaren is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Psychopandy.

We have only been living in Cambridge for 3 weeks so probably arent the best people to talk to regarding the whole Hamilton/Cambridge living arrangements. We were based in Wellington for 4 months prior to moving here.
What I would say is that we are really enjoying it so far. Cambridge is a lovely little town. We decided to live here as we didn't wanna live in town - we had had enough of city living back home, and its only 20 minutes drive from here to the hospital, where I'm working.

Talking to the locals, there are good and bad areas in Hamiton, I guss it depends on what you need from the place - schools, shops work etc.

All in all, I can thoroughly recommed it. Our philosophy is that it will all work out for the best in the end ;-)

Anyway, good luck with the move. If you need any advise.... on anything, please give me a shout back.

look forward to meeting up with you next year!
Daran and Karen
Old Aug 31st 2009, 3:39 am
Just Joined

Thumbs up Re: HAMILTON - meetups -Cambridge/Te awamutu

just a bit about the area. I put it in the wrong place, so probabl duplicated it.

hi psychopandy

we have been here since april, we wouldnt say Hamilton is a city, as we are from west yorkshire too!! but its very central for travelling from. 30-40mins to the west coast raglan, just over an hour to tauranga which is beautiful.
hamilton has good sports venues, v8 super cars, horseracing, waikato stadium, rugby, cricket stand. etc and the waikato river. Hamilton is very rural, lots of farms dairy farms surrounding the area. there are bad and good areas in hamilton for housing, like everywhere I suppose and schooling seems ok.
good luck with your immigration stuff, at least after xmas when u come over it will be warmer than west yorkshire, so everyone tells me!!!

not met many ex-pats, except at work and they seem to be settled, few I have met have been here 7-15 years.

we would like to get in on the meet-ups. hope to see you nxt year in the summer!!!!
Old Aug 31st 2009, 7:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BEVS
I hope you found it.

Have some karma also.
Thanks Bevs

I feel kinda special now you gave me some of that xxx

Not sure what to do with it but i dont care xxx
Old Aug 31st 2009, 7:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by DaranAndKaren
Hi Psychopandy.

We have only been living in Cambridge for 3 weeks so probably arent the best people to talk to regarding the whole Hamilton/Cambridge living arrangements. We were based in Wellington for 4 months prior to moving here.
What I would say is that we are really enjoying it so far. Cambridge is a lovely little town. We decided to live here as we didn't wanna live in town - we had had enough of city living back home, and its only 20 minutes drive from here to the hospital, where I'm working.

Talking to the locals, there are good and bad areas in Hamiton, I guss it depends on what you need from the place - schools, shops work etc.

All in all, I can thoroughly recommed it. Our philosophy is that it will all work out for the best in the end ;-)

Anyway, good luck with the move. If you need any advise.... on anything, please give me a shout back.

look forward to meeting up with you next year!
Daran and Karen
Thank you Daran and Karen

Thank you for your reply, i beg to differ, i think you are as good as anyone to pass your opinion, you are seeing the place through fresh eyes and i really appreciate you taking the time to respond.
I share your philosophy, its all about attitude, if you start thinking it will work then it probably will - well we can try at least
We are probably going to head to cambridge as my OH had a little look (in the pooring rain) while he was there and was quite taken with how open the place seems and the general feel of the place. Have checked out the schools in the area and my good pal J19fmm is helping me make sense of the school year systems - cos it makes no sense to me

Again i thank you - and apologise for hijacking the thread, i hope you all manage to meet up and have the beers on the chill waiting for us when we get there x
I will come looking for you, and keep in touch x
Old Aug 31st 2009, 7:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by tturner1
just a bit about the area. I put it in the wrong place, so probabl duplicated it.

hi psychopandy

we have been here since april, we wouldnt say Hamilton is a city, as we are from west yorkshire too!! but its very central for travelling from. 30-40mins to the west coast raglan, just over an hour to tauranga which is beautiful.

not met many ex-pats, except at work and they seem to be settled, few I have met have been here 7-15 years.

we would like to get in on the meet-ups. hope to see you nxt year in the summer!!!!
Hello tturner, thank you for both your replies,
We are probably heading to Cambridge but OH will be working in Hamilton.

Yes, schooling is going to be a concern for us, hopefully we will arrive straight after christmas so we can get a feel for the area and maybe ask around the locals to see what info we can get about the different schools in the area, the internet seems to indicate that most are quite good and i have a little inside info coming from J19fmm (thanks again).

Whereabouts have you settled? do you have any children? What job sector are you in? Whereabouts in West Yorkshire did you come from?

Sorry im a nosey old coot - older today 'cos its my birthday.

I hope you manage to pal up with a few of the others on here, they seem to be worth their weight in gold. And I will come and find you all when we are due over there - Hopefully around Chritmas.

Just submitted the ITA last friday - so fingers crossed - in fact ive got eveything crossed going quite numb in places now

OH AND YES WEST YORKSHIRE WEATHER IS PANTS RIGHT NOW!! and its september tomorrow so i suppose we've had it now !
Old Sep 1st 2009, 8:47 am
Forum Regular

Newfies has much to be proud ofNewfies has much to be proud ofNewfies has much to be proud ofNewfies has much to be proud ofNewfies has much to be proud ofNewfies has much to be proud ofNewfies has much to be proud ofNewfies has much to be proud ofNewfies has much to be proud ofNewfies has much to be proud ofNewfies has much to be proud of

Hi all so is it time to arrange a meet up in the Hamilton area for an evening as most people tend to be working during the day at the hospital!!! (well most do including myself.

Meeting arranged for Friday 18th September at Iguana on Victoria street Hamilton..8pm To recognize everyone all to wear a Daffodil by cancer charity.

So who's in?
Old Sep 1st 2009, 8:54 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Newfies
Hi all so is it time to arrange a meet up in the Hamilton area for an evening as most people tend to be working during the day at the hospital!!! (well most do including myself.

Meeting arranged for Friday 18th September at Iguana on Victoria street Hamilton..8pm To recognize everyone all to wear a Daffodil by cancer charity.

So who's in?
I want to come - i would wear a daffy

but i cant - cos im not there yet

I will bring a daffy when the time is right xx

good luck with your party
Old Sep 3rd 2009, 6:29 am
Just Joined

Angry Re: HAMILTON - meetups -Cambridge/Te awamutu

Originally Posted by Newfies

So who's in?

sorry wont be able to make the meet-up which is a shame!!!!, but will get in touch soon at work.
Old Sep 11th 2009, 8:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by tturner1

hi psychopandy

Hey you people in Hamilton/Cambridge and anywhere close...
watch out we are coming..
The man at NZIS says YES..
Keep those daffodils blooming

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.