British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Hamilton Info (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/hamilton-info-543047/)

antony-ryan Jun 15th 2008 3:10 am

Hamilton Info

Hi guys. Me and my girlfriend have been living in Wellington for just over a year now and we're seriously thinking of moving to Hamilton due to a good possibility of a job for my girlfriend. So we're planning on driving up next weekend to view rental properties wiith the intention of moving within the next 3-4 weeks. Can anyone give us an idea of which suburbs to avoid. We'd like to be close to the city so that we don't have to drive everywhere but don't want to end up in a hell hole. We don't have kids and are in our late twenties/early thirties. Any advice would be appreciated.

littleal Jun 15th 2008 4:05 am

Re: Hamilton Info

I'd go for Hamilton East - lot of coffee shops and old villas, but just over the bridge from the city centre.

Have a nice time
Alison

Justcol Jun 15th 2008 8:23 pm

i was told to avoid nawton

spoonguy Jun 15th 2008 11:52 pm

I'd avoid the parts of Ham East that are closer to the Uni.

Tan0410 Jun 16th 2008 1:54 am

Only been here three weeks so not really the one to ask.... just thought I'd say hi though.

Personally, living in Flagstaff (North East) and liking it :thumbsup:

House is modern...so insulated...shops are walking distance but town is a short drive.

Tan

Cram Jun 16th 2008 4:53 am

Originally Posted by Tan0410 (Post 6470283)
Only been here three weeks so not really the one to ask.... just thought I'd say hi though.

Personally, living in Flagstaff (North East) and liking it :thumbsup:

House is modern...so insulated...shops are walking distance but town is a short drive.

Tan

hi
for me there is to much traffic trying to get over the bridges at rush hour to live on the east, if you are looking on the west side of the river the majority of Pukete and St Andrews are ok

themoores Jun 17th 2008 7:46 am

I'd avoid Frankton, Nawton, Melville. Parts of Dinsdale are nice. ALso some nice modern townhouses in central and whitoria. Some of Whitoria is nice - they are redeveloping it with nice townhouses - terraces of about 5 houses but they call them apartments. The schools are rubbish there, but if you don't have to worry about them, it would be great. We spent the 5 weeks there when we arrived and it was close to nice river walks and could walk into town.

St Andrews and Pukete are nice too. We are in the north east in rototuna - which is lovely but quite far out from the town centre.

antony-ryan Jun 17th 2008 9:03 am

Cool. Thanks for the advice guys. We're going up this weekend and hopefully we'll get to see some properties and check out the area.

karonious Jun 18th 2008 8:01 am

Originally Posted by antony-ryan (Post 6473952)
Cool. Thanks for the advice guys. We're going up this weekend and hopefully we'll get to see some properties and check out the area.

I put all my info on the Wiki bit. Don't live there now but liked it when I did. Not sure how up to date the Wiki is these days as I posted it all 10 months ago.
Maybe someone else has added to it since I last looked.....:blink:
Karen

themoores Jun 18th 2008 10:34 am

are you going to watcth the rugby? nz maoris V samoa at the waikato stadium, then back home to see if England can do better than last weekend!!
And I don't really like sport - what is New Zealand doing to me????:blink:

antony-ryan Jun 19th 2008 9:58 am

We might go to NZ Kiwi's v Samoa depending on how the house hunting goes. I don't know if I can bear to watch the AB's thrash us though. Although I"ll be hoping for the AB's getting a good thrashing. Somehow I can't see it but no doubt it'll be the referees fault if it does happen! ;)

themoores Jun 19th 2008 10:04 am

I know, we went to Auckland last week to see us get beaten, so hopefully we can do better this week. Taking the kids to the NZ Maoris Samoa game as the kids want to see the Haka!!

Kiwiprincess Jun 20th 2008 8:35 am

Originally Posted by themoores (Post 6481770)
I know, we went to Auckland last week to see us get beaten, so hopefully we can do better this week. Taking the kids to the NZ Maoris Samoa game as the kids want to see the Haka!!

They will also see Manu Samoa's Haka. Which is very cool :)

welsh-chic Jun 20th 2008 11:27 am

Just wanna say a quick Hi to every one.

I look on this site from time to time,and im surprised the amount of people who are now in my neck of the woods (Hamilton)..Im working in the beer tent tomorow at the rugby game..If you hear a woman with a welsh accent,who looks like she doesn't know whats she's doing,,,that'll be me !!:curse:
Cheers Dawn