Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Hamilton or Auckland?

Hamilton or Auckland?

Old Nov 27th 2012, 4:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hamilton or Auckland?

Originally Posted by barnsleymat
I stayed in Hamilton for a month, it's not a place I'd like to settle.

The city centre is a very depressing place, full of empty pubs, sex shops and angry people. I think the only decent thing about Hamilton is that it's close to some nice places.

I have only been during the week and never seen such a long street of such unsavoury (empty) bars and takeaway gaffs, I am amazed that they manage to stay in business, unless they get some big crowds in at the weekend.

We went looking for somewhere to eat / have a drink at 10pm and everywhere was closing up. We were told the only place where there's any action and a 'late one' is Sky City and even that was on last knockings and dead as the proverbial dodo.
Old Nov 27th 2012, 5:45 am
Forum Regular

higgy2 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote. - thought it was ok on a brief visit in 2007 in the quiet pubs where i then went on to the sex shop but I was angry as I forgot the batteries.
Saved a visit to the Dentist then. pmsl

Hamilton closes early about the same time the Spanish (In Spain) are just going out for the night.

Manuka Bar in Chartwell cheap beer very interesting waitresses and the Hamilton Working Mens Club cheap beer decent food and as much Line Dancing as you would care to throw your 10 Gallon Hat at.

Hamilton is on it's last legs, far too many empty shops with Charity Shops filling the void. The girls high school is also down the pan.

Hamilton Lake is excellent for a stroll around and the coffee is okay in the Cafe, beware of the Mens Loo's. Cottaging abounds.

Last edited by BEVS; Nov 27th 2012 at 7:51 pm. Reason: quotes
Old Nov 27th 2012, 8:09 am
Just Joined

Nikki W is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you so much for all the replies, what a great bunch of people you are and so helpful too. We've been looking around Auckland the last couple of days and are
liking St Heliers to Mission Bay and Devonport. Tomorrow we're off to cruise around Hamilton, I'm really looking forward to seeing whats down that way.
Old Nov 27th 2012, 8:13 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by love30stm
I thought it was ok on a brief visit in 2007 in the quiet pubs where i then went on to the sex shop but I was angry as I forgot the batteries
I think I'm going to love it there
Old Nov 27th 2012, 8:20 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nikki W
Tomorrow we're off to cruise around Hamilton,
maybe not the best term to use after some of the comments, or maybe it is

Last edited by BEVS; Nov 27th 2012 at 7:51 pm. Reason: quote
Old Nov 28th 2012, 3:39 am
Forum Regular

keeny has much to be proud ofkeeny has much to be proud ofkeeny has much to be proud ofkeeny has much to be proud ofkeeny has much to be proud ofkeeny has much to be proud ofkeeny has much to be proud ofkeeny has much to be proud ofkeeny has much to be proud ofkeeny has much to be proud ofkeeny has much to be proud of

I have lived in Hamilton for 3&half years since we first arrived in NZ. Admittedly we did not sit at home in the UK and say oh let's go live in Hamilton, this is where husband's job is so this is where we live. And I personally really like it here. OK at first when we walked around the city centre we thought it was old fashioned and stuff, it just wasn't what we were used to. But we settled in a good area, and the more time we spent in Hamilton the more we liked it. I think it doesn't deserve the bad rep!
Old Nov 28th 2012, 6:46 am
Forum Regular

padozwi has a brilliant futurepadozwi has a brilliant futurepadozwi has a brilliant futurepadozwi has a brilliant futurepadozwi has a brilliant futurepadozwi has a brilliant futurepadozwi has a brilliant futurepadozwi has a brilliant future

I would pick Hamilton any day over Auckland.We moved here nearly 5 years ago and think it's a great place to bring up our young family.Hamilton has everything you need and its so central to places like Auckland,Taupo etc.We lived in Auckland for a year when we first got here and I much prefer Hamilton.
I really dont get why Hamilton gets such a bad rap.And the people on here bagging Hamilton,how many have actually lived here?
Old Nov 28th 2012, 11:18 pm

love30stm is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by padozwi
I would pick Hamilton any day over Auckland.We moved here nearly 5 years ago and think it's a great place to bring up our young family.Hamilton has everything you need and its so central to places like Auckland,Taupo etc.We lived in Auckland for a year when we first got here and I much prefer Hamilton.
I really dont get why Hamilton gets such a bad rap.And the people on here bagging Hamilton,how many have actually lived here?
Yep you get lots that bag places they have not lived or just heard the bad reputations , I personally thought Hamilton looked fine, had a great meal out there, has a good shopping mall and is pretty close to Auckland

Last edited by love30stm; Nov 28th 2012 at 11:21 pm.
Old Nov 29th 2012, 8:10 am
Just Joined

I'm afraid Hamilton wasn't for us we didn't take to it at all. I'm having second thoughts about Auclkland too, the weather hasn't exactly been favourable the last few days.

We're feeling a bit deflated now, not sure what to do next.

Last edited by Nikki W; Nov 29th 2012 at 8:27 am.
Old Nov 29th 2012, 8:19 am
N/A

Dumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond repute

I'm afraid Hamilton wasn't for us we didn't take to it at all. I'm having second thoughts about Auclkland too, the weather hasn't exactly been favourable the last few days.

We're feeling a bit deflated now, not sure what to do now.
Have you tried Sydney or Melbourne?
Old Nov 29th 2012, 8:29 am
Just Joined

Funny you should say that, we're doing an extended stopover on the way back.
Old Nov 29th 2012, 8:34 am
N/A

Dumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond repute

I personally prefer Auckland, but I could be tempted by Melbourne its a really nice city and the weather might be more to your liking. Best of luck whatever you choose to do.
Old Nov 29th 2012, 9:28 am
BE Enthusiast

Browner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond repute

We're feeling a bit deflated now, not sure what to do next.
Im not surprised, Hamilton is pretty much a dump in my experience.

Where are you from and whats your expectations ? If good weather is a top priority then Tauranga or Hawkes Bay is going to be far more likely to meet your expectations. Personally I couldnt live in Hawkes Bay either - nothing there at all.
Old Nov 29th 2012, 9:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Now I dare say it:

The fourth largest New Zealand city is called Bondi, a suburb of Sydney. It has more New Zealanders in it than Hamilton.
Old Nov 29th 2012, 11:15 am
Banned

mikesurf is a name known to allmikesurf is a name known to allmikesurf is a name known to allmikesurf is a name known to allmikesurf is a name known to allmikesurf is a name known to allmikesurf is a name known to allmikesurf is a name known to allmikesurf is a name known to allmikesurf is a name known to allmikesurf is a name known to all

The fourth largest New Zealand city is called Bondi, a suburb of Sydney. It has more New Zealanders in it than Hamilton.

Hardly suprising that's where I would be if I was a kiwi

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.