Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Hamilton or Auckland?

Hamilton or Auckland?

Old Nov 24th 2012, 11:45 pm
Just Joined

Nikki W is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Hamilton or Auckland?

Hi there, we're in New Zealand on holiday and have been job searching too. My husband is very lucky to have been offered a job with a company who's given him the choice between working in Hamilton or Auckland. We have a young daughter who'll be 3 on new years day and I'd like for us to live somewhere that's good for families as we'd like to give her a brother or sister in the near future. My instincts are guiding me towards Hamilton but I'd like to see what other people think about the two places and how they compare. Thank you
Old Nov 25th 2012, 2:18 am
Just Joined

Nikki W is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Hamilton or Auckland?

P.S. we've submitted our EOI before we left. How long it will take to get our visas now that he has a job offer? His employers want him to start at the end of January but they're willing to be flexible.
Old Nov 25th 2012, 3:06 am

Catchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Nikki

Welcome to B.E. and the NZ branch.

Sounds like you are enjoying NZ and good luck with the job!

Auckland vs Hamilton, it's a hard one. It depends on what your priorities are.

We lived in Auckland when we first arrived for a couple of years in Devonport. Loved the easy access to great beaches, hated the traffic!

We then moved to rural Marlborough in the South Island and absolutely love it here and started a family. Can't really imagine a better place to raise our kids!

Hopefully someone from Hamilton will be able to give you the low down soon!
Old Nov 25th 2012, 3:14 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nikki W
P.S. we've submitted our EOI before we left. How long it will take to get our visas now that he has a job offer? His employers want him to start at the end of January but they're willing to be flexible.
You will need to update EOI to get more points to be selected then you need to fill in the ITA, which is a rather time consuming and laborious. Medical and police checks checks for those who require them.

you can see from my signature our time line once we had submitted the ITA, and hubby was already working for the employer on a Work Visa, which he got from the Wellington office on same day as applying so you husband could always apply for a working visa to tide you over, of course that's an extra cost.
Submitted ITA end of Oct in UK and didn't get approval to end of January, they close down over Christmas and our CO only worked 4 days a week, and blueys in the passport until 14th Feb, we transferred file over to Wellington once the approval had had its secondary check thats why from approval to getting Blueys was a bit longer than most.

Last edited by MrsFychan; Nov 25th 2012 at 3:29 am.
Old Nov 25th 2012, 4:50 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

Have lived in both and while Auckland has more attractions / nightlife I would plumb for Hamilton.
Housing is way cheaper, there are lots of places you can live outside of Hamilton and still comfortably travel
in to the CBD for work from if you fancy a more rural or small town environment to raise a family in.
Old Nov 25th 2012, 10:29 am
Just Joined

macdonl is an unknown quantity at this point

We arrived in Hamilton a few weeks ago and are enjoying how easy it is to drive about the place (not the traffic of Auckland) plus the good range of things to do with the kids. We've found renting affordable here and I was surprised at how quickly we could get into the centre of town from the area where we live (Huntington). I'll keep you posted on the rest - still finding our feet. However, our older kids have found the school friendly, the teaching appears really good and there's plenty to do for the kids.
I think the house price decision is an important one; others will be able to confirm but I would expect that Hamilton is more affordable. We lived in Auckland for 6 months in the late 90s (mount Eden area which I loved) but now we have a family we thought that hamilton would be more straightforward.
Good luck making your decision and give me a shout if you decide on hamilton; our youngest is 3 next Feb so a similar age.
Lauren
Old Nov 25th 2012, 11:40 am
Just Joined

awolkiwi is an unknown quantity at this point

I grew up in Hamilton. My preference now, would be AUckland simply because it has more to offer familywise eg: day trips to various beaches over summertime.

However, it would also depend on where I was able to afford to live in both places. There are defintely some Auckland suburbs that I would not want to live in, with more schools that I would not want to have my children attend.

Looking longterm: will one of these places actually offer your husband a better route for future promotion, either with the same company or others? Or for you if you decide to return to paid employment in the future?

Oh, and I would not consider sending a child to the high school that I attended in Hamilton.... :-)
Old Nov 26th 2012, 6:29 am
BE Enthusiast

newkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Nikki W
Hi there, we're in New Zealand on holiday and have been job searching too. My husband is very lucky to have been offered a job with a company who's given him the choice between working in Hamilton or Auckland. We have a young daughter who'll be 3 on new years day and I'd like for us to live somewhere that's good for families as we'd like to give her a brother or sister in the near future. My instincts are guiding me towards Hamilton but I'd like to see what other people think about the two places and how they compare. Thank you
Auckland
Old Nov 26th 2012, 3:00 pm
Just Joined

mcgillm is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by newkiwi
Auckland
Any particular reason(s)?
Old Nov 26th 2012, 7:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

cappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikesurf
Both places are pretty boring but if you go to Hamilton you will end up suicidal
Give it a rest Mike
Old Nov 26th 2012, 8:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

Robbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond repute

The only thing wrong with Hamilton is that it is not by the sea!

Nearest beach is Raglan which is black sand and it burns your feet.(Good surfing though)
Old Nov 26th 2012, 9:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

barnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond repute

I stayed in Hamilton for a month, it's not a place I'd like to settle.

The city centre is a very depressing place, full of empty pubs, sex shops and angry people. I think the only decent thing about Hamilton is that it's close to some nice places.
Old Nov 26th 2012, 11:35 pm

love30stm is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by barnsleymat

The city centre is a very depressing place, full of empty pubs, sex shops and angry people. I think the only decent thing about Hamilton is that it's close to some nice places.
Really???
Old Nov 27th 2012, 2:12 am
BE Enthusiast

Caz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by barnsleymat

Originally Posted by love30stm
Really???
I probably shouldn't say this but I just can't help myself - empty pubs (easy to get served) sex shops (doesn't need much explanation) and angry people? this combination doesn't seem right - surely its a recipe for happy residents? sorry - all said with tongue firmly in cheek! I've never been to Hamilton so can't comment.
Old Nov 27th 2012, 2:25 am

love30stm is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Caz8NZ
I probably shouldn't say this but I just can't help myself - empty pubs (easy to get served) sex shops (doesn't need much explanation) and angry people? this combination doesn't seem right - surely its a recipe for happy residents? sorry - all said with tongue firmly in cheek! I've never been to Hamilton so can't comment.
I thought it was ok on a brief visit in 2007 in the quiet pubs where i then went on to the sex shop but I was angry as I forgot the batteries

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.