British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Hamilton? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/hamilton-524769/)

zummerzet_lou Mar 27th 2008 8:05 am

Hamilton?

good morning,

As some of you know, I'm flying out to New Zealand in a week to attend an interview and a mini recce of Hamilton.

I'm only in the country for 4 days so won't get to see much (esp as one of those days is taken up with interview stuff).

So, any advice as to what to do/see/check out?

Also, what is Hamilton really like to live in? Are there good areas and bad areas? Anything I should consider ?

TIA,

Lou

karonious Mar 27th 2008 8:20 am

Re: Hamilton?

Originally Posted by zummerzet_lou (Post 6117477)
good morning,

As some of you know, I'm flying out to New Zealand in a week to attend an interview and a mini recce of Hamilton.

I'm only in the country for 4 days so won't get to see much (esp as one of those days is taken up with interview stuff).

Also, what is Hamilton really like to live in? Are there good areas and bad areas? Anything I should consider ?

TIA,

Lou

I lived in Hamilton for over a year and loved it there. But since moving to Porirua, I love it even more here!!
Check out the Wiki guide to Hamilton as that is all my own work :eek:. And if you really feel like trawling through the beginning of my blog: that might give you a feel for Hamilton too.
I only moved away due to personal circumstances: it was a nice place to live. If I can help beyond what you find in the first half of my blog, please PM me and I will do my best to to give you my opinion on the place :cool:

RobClubley Mar 27th 2008 8:42 am

I know a good ta moko studio in Hamilton :D

karonious Mar 27th 2008 9:23 am

Originally Posted by RobClubley (Post 6117561)
I know a good ta moko studio in Hamilton :D

we know that!!
I got my most recent one done in Tawa funny enough........ :thumbup:

crap coffee Mar 27th 2008 11:35 am

Originally Posted by zummerzet_lou (Post 6117477)
good morning,

TIA,

Lou

ok.... I do love Hamilton....(Beautiful scenery).. very much. it's a lovely & kind of romantic place (for me). to be honest, if I have a job then I'd like to live there ..............I sometimes dream buying a 2 bedroom lovely wooden house on a cherry farm and raise baby goats, horses and chickens. + practice violin all day long....:rofl: but no no no gardening! I hate gardening!!!!!!!!!:eek:

If I retire in NZ (u never know..) then I might go to Hamilton (hope so). However I don't think I can leave Welly either..:rofl::confused:

I've been to Hamilton just once (just for a short visit) and it was the Early 90's :eek: at which time we emigrated to NZ

a very pleasant my loving memory (of youth) about the place always remain in my heart. ...

j19fmm Mar 27th 2008 6:21 pm

Visited my cousin in Beerescourt area of Hamilton - Beerescourt Road - one road in from the river, hence much cheaper. Very quiet, lovely houses,decent sized sections.
I love Hamilton but would prefer somewhere greener! Have a great time :)

happynz Mar 27th 2008 6:26 pm

Originally Posted by j19fmm (Post 6119905)
I love Hamilton but would prefer somewhere greener!

Greener than the Waikato? Wow, you're a tough customer. OK, it has been a drought year so the hills have probably been a bit brown.

j19fmm Mar 27th 2008 6:38 pm

Originally Posted by happynz (Post 6119921)
Greener than the Waikato? Wow, you're a tough customer. OK, it has been a drought year so the hills have probably been a bit brown.

Sorry Happy,:( wasn't encompassing all the Waikato region, rather Hamilton city and immediate suburbs.
Call me old fashioned but Cambridge really appeals to me,fell in love with a house just outside town....we all like a dream hey. And I'm really not a tough customer..:frown:

happynz Mar 27th 2008 6:42 pm

Originally Posted by j19fmm (Post 6119967)
Sorry Happy,:( wasn't encompassing all the Waikato region, rather Hamilton city and immediate suburbs.
Call me old fashioned but Cambridge really appeals to me,fell in love with a house just outside town....we all like a dream hey. And I'm really not a tough customer..:frown:

Sorry. No offense intended. :o

Cambridge is very attractive, true.

Hamilton is the home of Waikato Draught so that may be a tick in the positive column.

j19fmm Mar 27th 2008 6:47 pm

Originally Posted by happynz (Post 6119978)
Sorry. No offense intended. :o

Hamilton is the home of Waikato Draught so that may be a tick in the positive column.

Didn't take offence Happy :) Try not too these days, life is too short.....
This one's got your name on it :beer:

mitosblog Mar 28th 2008 11:57 pm

I just met with a cousin working in Hamilton for a meal. As he told me Hamilton is an ideal place to relax and enjoy beautiful scenery. The town is pretty small but you gonna love it if you are not into the busy life of city lives.

crap coffee Mar 29th 2008 2:52 am

Originally Posted by happynz (Post 6119978)

How about Oxford? ;)

I love Spring Cherry Blossom on the high street :D

happynz Mar 29th 2008 4:08 am

Originally Posted by crap coffee (Post 6126228)
How about Oxford?

Oxford UK or Oxford out on the Canterbury Plains here on the South Island?

:) Oxford NZ is nice.

crap coffee Mar 29th 2008 5:26 am

Originally Posted by happynz (Post 6126345)
Oxford UK or Oxford out on the Canterbury Plains here on the South Island?

:) Oxford NZ is nice.

of course Oxford U.K :mad:

happynz Mar 29th 2008 5:33 am

Originally Posted by crap coffee (Post 6126490)
of course Oxford U.K :mad:

I haven't been there. Is it nice?

:)