Hamilton

Old May 22nd 2007, 9:32 am
Forum Regular

jads is a name known to alljads is a name known to alljads is a name known to alljads is a name known to alljads is a name known to alljads is a name known to alljads is a name known to alljads is a name known to alljads is a name known to alljads is a name known to alljads is a name known to all
Default Hamilton

I have looking over various job sites etc. and there are quite a few for me in Hamilton. Whats everyones views on Hamilton, it never gets much of a mention. Basically the usual, weather, beaches, town, prospects etc.

Any info

Jads
Old May 22nd 2007, 9:56 am
P2L
BE Forum Addict

P2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hamilton

Originally Posted by jads
I have looking over various job sites etc. and there are quite a few for me in Hamilton. Whats everyones views on Hamilton, it never gets much of a mention. Basically the usual, weather, beaches, town, prospects etc.

Any info

Jads
If you shout really loud Karonious or StevieB might hear you!! ( or try the kiwi bar)
Old May 22nd 2007, 10:06 am
BE Forum Addict

danny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond repute

Is right-pm Karonious-they live and bare it!!
Old May 22nd 2007, 11:57 am
conquering the world!

karonious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jads

Any info

Jads
Hi there,
I have PM'd you
Karen B
Old May 22nd 2007, 12:12 pm
Account Closed

mazi is an unknown quantity at this point

Oh. Dear. Are you sure you want to know what people think - or do you just want to hear good stuff? Karonious will, I'm sure, have given you lots of good things to keep your interest up. And she does know....BUT:

There is a reason it doesn't get much of a mention.

It's my most hated place in NZ after Putaruru (I have not, though, been to every place in NZ so I reserve the right to change my mind if and when I come across another place I loathe more than 'Hammy'). I find it almost impossible to be objective about Hamilton, so please accept that what I say is merely my lowly opinion and, of course, heavily biased.

It's a small country (farmer's) town trying to pretend not to be - and failing miserably. It's parochial, narrow-minded, boring and grey for much of the year (but that may have been my misery clouding (pun intended) my judgment). I really can't think what else to say about it, which says a lot.

Oh yes, there is no beach - and no, Raglan doesn't count - it's a different town a 40 minute drive away: Hamilton has no beach.

Good points: Karonious lives there - and she nice lady.
Old May 22nd 2007, 10:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond repute

I like it, I love the spot we live in, central to lots of places. easy city to find your way around and quite friendly people. Mind you I did hear once that the Kiwis dont like it and choose not to live here, maybe thats why i like it?
Na, only joking, kiwis do live here and are quite friendly here. (on the whole)
But we have just about got bored with all of NZ now.
After a while there is just NOTHING to do, not hamilton I am meaning all of NZ.
No beaches tho' I am afraid.
Old May 22nd 2007, 11:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

lapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

I've never been able to see the attraction of Hamilton, it seems in the middle of nowhere and for me, way too far from the coast. Not what I came back to NZ for.
Old May 22nd 2007, 11:35 pm
P2L
BE Forum Addict

P2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond repute

having only ever driven through Hamilton on the way up north, I haven't got an opinion.

In my experience though, you can't knock it till you've tried it!! And 131,000 people can't all be wrong I guess
Old May 23rd 2007, 12:32 am
Clear sighted member

tootsie will become famous soon enough

The few times I went there I thought it was quite pleasant. It's becoming a bit of a suburb of Auckland, even though it's quite a distance away.

Biggest drawbacks are that there is not much to do and the beaches are a way off.

If you're really serious on living in Hammy or anywhere else in NZ for that matter I strongly recommend you have a visit first.
Old May 23rd 2007, 5:37 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Rascal
I like it, I love the spot we live in, central to lots of places. easy city to find your way around and quite friendly people. Mind you I did hear once that the Kiwis dont like it and choose not to live here, maybe thats why i like it?
Na, only joking, kiwis do live here and are quite friendly here. (on the whole)
But we have just about got bored with all of NZ now.
After a while there is just NOTHING to do, not hamilton I am meaning all of NZ.
No beaches tho' I am afraid.
You're right about the Kiwis in general - every one I have ever met makes derisive remarks about it - usually along the lines of "HAMILTON [laughter] - WHY?". Even the ones who live there.

Last edited by mazi; May 23rd 2007 at 6:34 am.
Old May 23rd 2007, 6:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Rascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond repute

yeh our friends do too.
Our mate Roy says everything misses Hamilton even the tourist!
But have always liked the place to live/shop etc. Its the rest of the things about NZ that I dont like.
Orewa?
Been there a couple of times, spent all of 10 mins looking at the shanty town shops and other than a beach, it had nowt else.
Old May 23rd 2007, 6:55 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Rascal
yeh our friends do too.
Our mate Roy says everything misses Hamilton even the tourist!
But have always liked the place to live/shop etc. Its the rest of the things about NZ that I dont like.
Orewa?
Been there a couple of times, spent all of 10 mins looking at the shanty town shops and other than a beach, it had nowt else.
Do you remember when Billy Connolly went on his tour and went to Hamilton? There was about 20 seconds of footage - and then he went to the (then) Maori Queen's gaff and the programme made it look like that might be in Hamilton, but it's in Ngaruawahia!
Old May 23rd 2007, 7:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by mazi
Do you remember when Billy Connolly went on his tour and went to Hamilton? There was about 20 seconds of footage - and then he went to the (then) Maori Queen's gaff and the programme made it look like that might be in Hamilton, but it's in Ngaruawahia!
No didn;t watch it, Hubby a billy C fan, but he's half scot so can understand what he is saying!
By the time I have caught what he is talking about, he is on about summat else!
I need sub titles.
Old May 23rd 2007, 9:22 am
Jedi Princess

kiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mazi
Hamilton has no beach.
I'm not familiar with Raglan but Auckland's beaches are a 2 hour drive from Hamilton (were last time I was there anyway). This is comparable to the distance people in Canberra travel to get to the beach. People make it a day trip and take time to have a browse around the locals shops and scenery and buy some fish 'n' chips for lunch on the shore or local park.
Old May 23rd 2007, 9:40 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by kiwi_child
I'm not familiar with Raglan
Lots of people like it because it's quite good for surfing apparently, but I don't like it as it has black sand - it looks like mud to me.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.