Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Had our medicals friday

Had our medicals friday

Old Sep 10th 2006, 7:57 pm

dreamfish is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Had our medicals friday

with Dr Thompson of Thorpewood, Norwich.
he was a nice fellow.

I had no idea of what my BMI was going to be, but knew it would be high, so I fasted for a full 24 hours so that they could get some decent bloods from me

So can someone just explain in english to me what happens now. The quack writes the report, posts it to me... if the quack thinks further reports are needed will he contact me? Or is it the immigration people that will request the reports?

If my deadline for ITA submission is November, do i need to get satisfactory medical reports in by that deadline?

Dont know why I am fretting really. We discussed that the excess weight I am carrying is from two babies so lets hope he put that on my form!!

I was thinking about hand delivering our application the weekend of the outbound show in london.

things are really moving along.... getting very nervous!
Old Sep 10th 2006, 11:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

kwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Had our medicals friday

Originally Posted by dreamfish
with Dr Thompson of Thorpewood, Norwich.
he was a nice fellow.

I had no idea of what my BMI was going to be, but knew it would be high, so I fasted for a full 24 hours so that they could get some decent bloods from me

So can someone just explain in english to me what happens now. The quack writes the report, posts it to me... if the quack thinks further reports are needed will he contact me? Or is it the immigration people that will request the reports?

If my deadline for ITA submission is November, do i need to get satisfactory medical reports in by that deadline?

Dont know why I am fretting really. We discussed that the excess weight I am carrying is from two babies so lets hope he put that on my form!!

I was thinking about hand delivering our application the weekend of the outbound show in london.

things are really moving along.... getting very nervous!
I am not the lightest of people and weighed about 13 stone when I had my medical and this was not mentioned

so I wont ask you the personal question of how heavy etc, but just to give you an idea which may help you judge or not
Old Sep 11th 2006, 11:20 am
BE Forum Addict

danny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kwprwn
I am not the lightest of people and weighed about 13 stone when I had my medical and this was not mentioned

so I wont ask you the personal question of how heavy etc, but just to give you an idea which may help you judge or not

I am 17.5 stone on a good day. My BMI is laughable,is drink horrible and copious amounts of anything,probabe high BP,but I have an excellent sense of humour,and a good sense of direction. Are they likely to take this into account?
Old Sep 11th 2006, 12:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

claire hopkins has much to be proud ofclaire hopkins has much to be proud ofclaire hopkins has much to be proud ofclaire hopkins has much to be proud ofclaire hopkins has much to be proud ofclaire hopkins has much to be proud ofclaire hopkins has much to be proud ofclaire hopkins has much to be proud ofclaire hopkins has much to be proud ofclaire hopkins has much to be proud ofclaire hopkins has much to be proud of

Hi Dreamfish,

We went to the same doctor as you and like you he was very nice (I didn't particularly like getting down to me undies but hey ho), what happened with us the reports were sent through to us within about 10 days, there is a section on the med forms that gives the doctor the opportunity to tick the box as to whether further investigations are needed, but that is for the NZIS I think Thorpewood will let you know if there is a problem if not give Ruth a call shes the lovely lady at Thorpewood who deals with the immigration side.

When we got it all back we went through them with a fine tooth comb, OH and I had different blood levels and a couple of things (not significant) showed up, so me being a need to know type got straight on the phone to the Lab that done the bloods to find out what they meant, all it was OH & I obviously being of opposite sex, and I had a stinking cold at the time the bloods were taken.

Did Dr Thompson tell you what your BMI was?

I dont think they put down the reason for someone being overweight they will just point out if there are any health concerns.

Also take your application by hand (we did) its very exciting and there is an information department in NZ house to the left of reception thats great as lots of leaflets and a couple of AA books you can take.

Hope this helps!!

Hopkins Clan XX
Old Sep 11th 2006, 2:36 pm

dreamfish is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by claire hopkins
Hi Dreamfish,

Did Dr Thompson tell you what your BMI was?

I dont think they put down the reason for someone being overweight they will just point out if there are any health concerns.

Also take your application by hand (we did) its very exciting and there is an information department in NZ house to the left of reception thats great as lots of leaflets and a couple of AA books you can take.

Hope this helps!!

Hopkins Clan XX
Hi there Claire - thanks for replying! Bet my BMI is higher than yours No he didnt tell me, but I have a rough idea. Nice to see I have lost 2 stone over past 6 months - thats reassuring. I plan to take my forms in by hand the day before the expo in london. I want to go to the british legion too - apparently my dad has had his name put in their book of remembrance, so would be nice to see that. Then will chill in london, stay in the hotel where the expo is being held so that we can be front of the queue!! lol.

i am really excited about it all. Have you heard back yet?
Old Sep 11th 2006, 8:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

claire hopkins has much to be proud ofclaire hopkins has much to be proud ofclaire hopkins has much to be proud ofclaire hopkins has much to be proud ofclaire hopkins has much to be proud ofclaire hopkins has much to be proud ofclaire hopkins has much to be proud ofclaire hopkins has much to be proud ofclaire hopkins has much to be proud ofclaire hopkins has much to be proud ofclaire hopkins has much to be proud of
Red face Re: Had our medicals friday

Hi Dreamfish,

Yes we have heard back, we have been allocated Pat Billet as our CO, I spoke with her today, she seems very nice, though she will probably be pi**ed off with me by the end of it as I will no doubt have loads of questions. What she informed me today was everything seemed fine with all the paperwork, and that Jordan (our eldest) meds have gone to the Medical Assessor (well on Wednesday they will), we are staying optimistic that we will still be accepted and quickly as OH has a job in Thames, Coromandel to start next month and until we get the OK we won't make any plans as you can imagine in 3 weeks time we will being running round like headless chooks, selling the cars, booking flights, selling the contents of our house but then this will leave no long drawn out very tearful goodbyes. You are more than welcome to PM me and maybe we can have a chat sometime and compare notes.

Thanks Claire x
Old Sep 11th 2006, 8:54 pm
Forum Regular

rickg37 will become famous soon enoughrickg37 will become famous soon enough

Claire might be worth speaking to your case officer as when one of our meds went to the assessor we were told it would be two weeks for a reply and it was right on the fortnight they came back but with further questions and we are now on the third two week period after further questions. We submitted our ITA in July to be ready for my job offer in October but have now put the job back to March

Dont want to know or want to pry on reason for referral but as we said it may be worth speaking to the case officer as everyones case is different.

Regards

Rick & Tracy