Had Enough...

Old Oct 15th 2008, 3:39 pm
Just Joined

pfletcher is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Had Enough...

There is too much I miss, and no longer enough to make me want to stay here in the US. My problem though is that my passport has expired.

With that said can I just hop on a plane and head back to England for good - plead insanity with customs and go stay with family until I get organised?

I don't want to bother with PP renewal as I have no plans to come back over here.

Thanks

Paul
Old Oct 15th 2008, 3:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Elaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Had Enough...

Originally Posted by pfletcher
There is too much I miss, and no longer enough to make me want to stay here in the US. My problem though is that my passport has expired.

With that said can I just hop on a plane and head back to England for good - plead insanity with customs and go stay with family until I get organised?

I don't want to bother with PP renewal as I have no plans to come back over here.

Thanks

Paul
Is it your British Passport that's expired or your American one I take it you have some kind of passport so you can get on the plane?
Old Oct 15th 2008, 3:54 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Elaine B.
Is it your British Passport that's expired or your American one I take it you have some kind of passport so you can get on the plane?
It's my British - I don't have US citizenship, I just want to sell up and walk away
Old Oct 15th 2008, 3:58 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

It's my British - I don't have US citizenship, I just want to sell up and walk away
I believe you can enter the UK using an expired UK PP. Maybe JAJ will be along soon and confirm this. Best to check with the airline about travelling on an expired PP.

If you have to wait to 'sell up' why don't you apply for a new PP...it only takes a couple of weeks?

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Oct 15th 2008 at 4:38 pm.
Old Oct 15th 2008, 3:59 pm
Forum Regular

Charlie Paynter has a brilliant futureCharlie Paynter has a brilliant futureCharlie Paynter has a brilliant futureCharlie Paynter has a brilliant futureCharlie Paynter has a brilliant futureCharlie Paynter has a brilliant futureCharlie Paynter has a brilliant future

You will not get passed check-in without a valid passport. If you therefore book and pay for your flight back and do not renew your passport, you would have wasted your money.
Old Oct 15th 2008, 4:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Elaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond repute

mpg is right you have no chance of getting on a plane without a passport. Plus when you book a flight a lot of times you are asked for you passport details.
Old Oct 15th 2008, 4:40 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Doesn't the UK consulate have like an expedited passport renewal service? US passports can be obtained or renewed in as little as 24 hours sometime if there is an urgent matter / pre-paid flight home that has to be met. Might be worth ringing the embassy to see if they offer a service like that.

If not, I'm afraid the other posters are correct about getting on a plane. It's a real bear, even more so after 9-11 rules.

My advice would be get the passport sorted and make a 'strategic withdrawal' instead of a 'disorganized retreat'. Spend a week just getting things settled, selling off or giving away any possessions you don't want to take with you. If you treat your final days in the US as a tourist, see a sight or two, buy a few knick-nacks for the folks, etc, you might find yourself feeling a bit more in control as you head back to restart your life in the UK.

Good luck with the return.
Old Oct 15th 2008, 4:55 pm
Just Joined

mpg is right you have no chance of getting on a plane without a passport. Plus when you book a flight a lot of times you are asked for you passport details.
So now I am trying to make sense of how much it costs to renew - site seems a little obtuse
Old Oct 15th 2008, 5:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

So now I am trying to make sense of how much it costs to renew - site seems a little obtuse
I see what you mean they don't make it easy to find out the fee
Old Oct 15th 2008, 5:07 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

You can do a one off thing

http://www.fco.gov.uk/en/travelling-...seas/passports

Replacement and emergency passports
We can issue you with a replacement travel document if you need to travel urgently. But we’ll need some verification of your identity and to be satisfied that you are a British national. You’ll also need to show us a police report and pay a fee.

This document may be an emergency passport valid for a single journey, a temporary one-year passport or a standard passport, depending on embassy facilities and your travel needs. We need to make checks before we can issue a passport and this may mean you have to delay your travel plans.

You’ll have to pay an extra fee if staff need to issue an emergency travel document outside of normal office hours. This starts at £121. You should also consider whether you need to obtain an exit visa from the local immigration authorities. Some countries do not issue such visas outside normal office hours.

Check with the local British embassy or consulate to see what services it offers. Local conditions mean that different passport services are available in different areas.

Eventhough I think they'll refer you to Abtran, it might be worth giving the Embassy a call (1) (202) 588 6500
Old Oct 15th 2008, 5:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

I'm sure by now you've already found this but for anyone else who's interested her are the fees for getting your UK passport in the US

http://ukinusa.fco.gov.uk/en/passpor...t-fees-dollars

$241 (including postage)

Last edited by Elaine B.; Oct 15th 2008 at 7:35 pm. Reason: oops wrong amount.
Old Oct 15th 2008, 6:01 pm
Just Joined

I'm sure by now you've already found this but for anyone else who's interested her are the fees for getting your UK passport in the US

$289 (including postage)
the page I just found said

gives $241 now all I have to is find a reputable person who has known me for 2 years :-)
Old Oct 15th 2008, 7:31 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

gives $241 now all I have to is find a reputable person who has known me for 2 years :-)
If your appearance hasn't changed since your previous PP photo...you do not need to get them countersigned.
Old Oct 15th 2008, 7:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

I've edited my post
Old Oct 15th 2008, 7:51 pm
Just Joined

I've edited my post
I got glasses

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.