British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Gym Question (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/gym-question-704456/)

Gizmo27 Feb 8th 2011 1:07 am

Gym Question

Hi all,

Me again! lol I have been lurking but not posting much recently & am now only worming my way out of the woodwork to ask this question. lol

Now that I am getting sorted/settled in Auckland, I am looking for a gym to join.

I live in Mount Eden (Wembley Road off Dominion Road - I am going by the NZ Post Website) and would like to find a local gym, but apart from randomly driving around or googling I have nothing to go on, so was wondering if any of our fine members here could recommend one?

Recommendations are good after all (Why would you continue to go to a crummy gym?)! haha

So, anybody know a good one? I would like to pay weekly initally, but annual memberships are nice too. Also, a swimming pool is very desirable for me in a gym.

Thanks!

Gizzy.

hazeandsteve Feb 8th 2011 2:25 am

Re: Gym Question

Be very, very careful regarding get out clauses. Two mates have been stung for ridiculous sums when they tried to get out of membership.
Unpaid "break contract" fees could lead to Pay Corp and court.

P18PPS Feb 8th 2011 7:18 am

Probably the YMCA style ones if you want a pool too - most have a gym/pool/sauna/steam etc... Glen Innes is my local and is a good option - there must be a close one to you in Mt Eden (even the one at top of Hobson in the city)?..

I've not seen or heard of the ones similar to the Virgin Active or David Lloyd ones over here where you get everything under one roof (but then again some of the big hotels in the city may offer private members???).

BEVS Feb 8th 2011 7:19 am

Gym Question

Don't :beer:

cappuccino Feb 9th 2011 5:24 am

Look on Trademe to buy membership off people who have given up! I got a great deal off there and am paying half the current new members rate:-)

My friend belongs to the YMCA in Auckland and only pays 3 months at a time membership - no lock-in clause.

pricklykina Feb 9th 2011 8:16 am

health and sports are in Kingsland, near st lukes and they have a pool
Cameron pools in Mt Roskill have pool and gym - very community focussed and not so flash though

Gizmo27 Feb 10th 2011 8:38 am

Sweet. Thanks guys & girls. I know what tomorrow's job is! :thumbsup:

umm I should have asked first, but would I be right in saying that most places offer a trial membership so you can see what is available in terms of equipment etc?

Thanks again :)

P18PPS Feb 10th 2011 10:33 pm

Yes, and insist if they don't freely offer!

Gizmo27 Feb 11th 2011 12:06 am

Double sweet! Thanks again folks :)

**Trundles off to start loosing the UK flab!**