British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   G'won . The $ price of one tomato and maybe -ssshhh ..the price of a cucumber (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/gwon-%24-price-one-tomato-maybe-ssshhh-price-cucumber-939882/)

scrubbedexpat094 Aug 9th 2021 10:55 pm

Re: G'won . The $ price of one tomato and maybe -ssshhh ..the price of a cucumbe

Originally Posted by Clappy (Post 13037585)
I should think so, You must check for the cucumber's consent first otherwise it is a poor example to be setting the younger generation.

I forgot, erm, I mean my friend forgot this!

Our local New World has signs up telling customers not to squeeze the fruit and vegetables. Well I'm very sorry but there's no way I'm putting something in my mouth that I've not had a good feel of first :nod:!

Tom H Aug 10th 2021 12:27 am

Re: G'won . The $ price of one tomato and maybe -ssshhh ..the price of a cucumbe

Where's BarnsleyMatt when you need him

Loved his opinions on fruit and vegetable prices :D

scrubbedexpat094 Aug 10th 2021 12:59 am

Originally Posted by Tom H (Post 13038882)

He's living like a king in Cucumber Towers!

BEVS Aug 10th 2021 3:32 am

Originally Posted by Tom H (Post 13038882)

Me too. Loved his post style. However someone didn't get it and I believe it was suggested that as he had moved from NZ , that he not post anymore. Big shame that he took any notice of that humourless wassock.

Bo-Jangles Aug 10th 2021 8:00 am

It's hardly salad weather but just went window shopping for an imaginery salad; a lettuce, 0.5kg Tomatoes, Capsicum and a Cucumber = $22 :hysterical:

Is it any wonder that so many people rely on the likes of KFC and Maccas.

Pom_Chch Aug 10th 2021 10:23 pm

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles (Post 13038967)
It's hardly salad weather but just went window shopping for an imaginery salad; a lettuce, 0.5kg Tomatoes, Capsicum and a Cucumber = $22 :hysterical:

Is it any wonder that so many people rely on the likes of KFC and Maccas.

Simple solution - don't buy salad items in winter, stick to root and frozen veggies. People choose KFC and the like because they are a) lazy b) not capable of cooking healthy meals c) making up excuses. If the whole world ate seasonably we would seriously reduce our carbon footprint. Although it feels backwards in NZ for not having a selection of fruit/veg available all the time like the UK, it's technically the way it should be.

BEVS Aug 10th 2021 11:17 pm

Originally Posted by Pom_Chch (Post 13039284)
Simple solution - don't buy salad items in winter, stick to root and frozen veggies. People choose KFC and the like because they are a) lazy b) not capable of cooking healthy meals c) making up excuses. If the whole world ate seasonably we would seriously reduce our carbon footprint. Although it feels backwards in NZ for not having a selection of fruit/veg available all the time like the UK, it's technically the way it should be.

I agree with some of this but not all of this . We live in a market garden area and see the toms , cucs and lettuces being grown all year round in exactly the same way. I really must try to stop sometime and take photos but the road is a bit lethal for stopping. Even Civil Defence call it Death Highway. MrBEVS had an apprentice whose family owned and ran a farm. It produces mostly peppers. That is what it produces all year round non-stop. Husband back then could have free peppers all year round ; the thing being none of these items are actually seasonal except for in our own gardens.
Advocado season in NZ is around Sept - March approx, so why are we seeing advocados on the cheap now in winter when during actual season they cost an arm and a leg. Why is lettuce silly money when it is still being grown. Of course one answer will be price rigging.

Yes about the carbon footprint which is why NZ, as has now recently been mooted, should be producing for its people and not exporting all and everything all of the time. The reason NZers often are paying over the odds is because of export. The evil of the fast food outlets is that they produce food that is very cheap . For some it will be all about the cheap .

Anyway I sorta meant this thread to be lighthearted so how about the price of paint :scaredhair:

scrubbedexpat094 Aug 10th 2021 11:41 pm

Great Post BEVS.
I tried to keep it very light-hearted but descended into smut :demon:. Trouble with being a midwife is that I have absolutely no filter whatsoever!
Just getting the courage up to go food shopping and see what extortion is occurring in the food supply chain today!

For my upcoming trip to the UK, I had the bright idea of ordering some essential toiletries to be delivered to my dad's. I still have a Boot's Advantage card and so I use it whenever I go to the UK. I couldn't believe how cheap deodorant and the like are. So I've saved myself some dosh and I don't have to worry about carrying it in my suitcase. Result!

Bo-Jangles Aug 11th 2021 8:22 am

Originally Posted by Vitalstatistix (Post 13039291)
I couldn't believe how cheap deodorant and the like are.

I thought the Chemist Warehouse had improved things but now having had a look at Boots, I think not so much. I usually stock up on Nivea deodorant and buy three at a time thinking I am getting a bargain when it's on special at around $4.99 but I see it only costs a quid at Boots - the very same one is $6.49 currently in Chemist Warehouse. :blink:

Bo-Jangles Aug 11th 2021 8:28 am

Maybe it's just me but I find root or frozen veggies never seem quite right on or with my lunch time sandwiches. :sick:

scrubbedexpat094 Aug 11th 2021 9:12 am

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles (Post 13039345)
I thought the Chemist Warehouse had improved things but now having had a look at Boots, I think not so much. I usually stock up on Nivea deodorant and buy three at a time thinking I am getting a bargain when it's on special at around $4.99 but I see it only costs a quid at Boots - the very same one is $6.49 currently in Chemist Warehouse. :blink:

I do that with Rexona/Sure too! I refuse to pay over $5 for deodorant. I did notice today that the Rexona was on special at $4.99 for 220mls whereas I ordered a 250ml one for $3 from Boots. Crazy.
I decided that I would make Leek & Potato soup for dinner. However, leeks were $2.29 each. These were for really small leeks, that weren't very fresh. They'd very obviously been topped and tailed and the outer leaves removed. I need 4 large leeks for my recipe but I would've had to buy 8 of these. My recipe does us for a couple of days. So much for my effort to use seasonal veg.
So ended up with chicken in black bean sauce.

brits1 Aug 11th 2021 2:21 pm

Originally Posted by Vitalstatistix (Post 13039361)
I do that with Rexona/Sure too! I refuse to pay over $5 for deodorant. I did notice today that the Rexona was on special at $4.99 for 220mls whereas I ordered a 250ml one for $3 from Boots. Crazy.
I decided that I would make Leek & Potato soup for dinner. However, leeks were $2.29 each. These were for really small leeks, that weren't very fresh. They'd very obviously been topped and tailed and the outer leaves removed. I need 4 large leeks for my recipe but I would've had to buy 8 of these. My recipe does us for a couple of days. So much for my effort to use seasonal veg.
So ended up with chicken in black bean sauce.

Wow I'd be in debt with a weekly "shop" if I lived in NZ lol....on the bright side though at least your seasonal veg etc is fresh.

Ironbark Aug 13th 2021 12:23 pm

Originally Posted by Justcol (Post 13038317)
It's not just this year though.
Unfortunately we suffer with the seasonal prices every year.
Theres still a way to go to match the worst I've ever seen for tomatoes. A whopping $24.99 kg

They were $39.99 in New World a couple of weeks ago! 😮

Justcol Aug 13th 2021 8:21 pm

Originally Posted by Ironbark (Post 13040116)
They were $39.99 in New World a couple of weeks ago! 😮

$1.19 a tin at SuperValue, and someone has very kindly already pealed and chopped them for me 😂

BEVS Aug 15th 2021 6:23 am

Originally Posted by Justcol (Post 13040246)
$1.19 a tin at SuperValue, and someone has very kindly already pealed and chopped them for me 😂

Justcol ! You don't put those in a nice cheese sarnie surely. :scaredhair:

edit.. I had to look up SuperValue as never heard of them. A part of the Countdown lot.