British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   G'won . The $ price of one tomato and maybe -ssshhh ..the price of a cucumber (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/gwon-%24-price-one-tomato-maybe-ssshhh-price-cucumber-939882/)

BEVS Aug 5th 2021 7:18 am

G'won . The $ price of one tomato and maybe -ssshhh ..the price of a cucumber

G'won then. It is wintertime right now. Let's be brave , do it & shock the world ! Someone call up Justcol. We need him for this.

I will start --

The price of a tomato. :eek:

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/british...cec08a824e.png

scrubbedexpat094 Aug 5th 2021 7:28 am

Re: G'won . The $ price of one tomato and maybe -ssshhh ..the price of a cucumbe

$5.99 for a thin, small telegraph cucumber.
Apologies, they are on special this week at $5.49. Capsicums have now come down 20 cents to the more affordable $3.79 each :sarcasm:

spouse of scouse Aug 5th 2021 8:06 am

Re: G'won . The $ price of one tomato and maybe -ssshhh ..the price of a cucumbe

Originally Posted by BEVS (Post 13037250)
G'won then. It is wintertime right now. Let's be brave , do it & shock the world ! Someone call up Justcol. We need him for this.

I will start --

The price of a tomato. :eek:

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/british...cec08a824e.png

:eek:

Originally Posted by Vitalstatistix (Post 13037252)
$5.99 for a thin, small telegraph cucumber.
Apologies, they are on special this week at $5.49. Capsicums have now come down 20 cents to the more affordable $3.79 each :sarcasm:

:eek: again

Bo-Jangles Aug 5th 2021 11:00 am

Yes, I pick up a cucumber the other day, it was kind of withered and scrawny but I gave it a wee stroke and a squeeze and then promptly put it back on the shelf; at $5.99 it can stay there and rot for all I care.
I bought one poxy little capsicum today for $3.49 this was from Pak n Save - not Harrods FFS! :scaredhair:

Avocados however were 99c - how the F did that happen?

spouse of scouse Aug 5th 2021 11:59 am

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles (Post 13037310)
Yes, I pick up a cucumber the other day, it was kind of withered and scrawny but I gave it a wee stroke and a squeeze and then promptly put it back on the shelf; at $5.99 it can stay there and rot for all I care.

Do Kiwi cucumbers get bigger if you stroke and squeeze them? Asking for a friend.

scrubbedexpat094 Aug 5th 2021 9:42 pm

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse (Post 13037326)
Do Kiwi cucumbers get bigger if you stroke and squeeze them? Asking for a friend.

A friend did try it but was removed from the supermarket!

Clappy Aug 5th 2021 11:50 pm

Originally Posted by Vitalstatistix (Post 13037540)

I should think so, You must check for the cucumber's consent first otherwise it is a poor example to be setting the younger generation.

Pom_Chch Aug 6th 2021 1:24 am

A great money saving tactic is to just skip the food and drink gin :egyptian:

BEVS Aug 6th 2021 1:26 am

Originally Posted by Pom_Chch (Post 13037614)

We got given some homemade gin. Cheap as.

Mishclark Aug 6th 2021 8:11 am

Originally Posted by Pom_Chch (Post 13037614)

I've been doing a little too much of that 😁🍸

Justcol Aug 6th 2021 10:36 am

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse (Post 13037326)

I think you're confusing them with aubergines 🍆

spouse of scouse Aug 6th 2021 1:13 pm

Originally Posted by Vitalstatistix (Post 13037540)

:lol:

Originally Posted by Justcol (Post 13037795)
I think you're confusing them with aubergines 🍆

:lol:

You two are so rude! Just like me :D

Moses2013 Aug 6th 2021 1:54 pm

Charismatic Aug 7th 2021 10:26 pm

I'm not surprised at the price of local fresh produce this year given labour market disruption.

Justcol Aug 8th 2021 5:42 am

Originally Posted by Charismatic (Post 13038254)
I'm not surprised at the price of local fresh produce this year given labour market disruption.

It's not just this year though.
Unfortunately we suffer with the seasonal prices every year.
Theres still a way to go to match the worst I've ever seen for tomatoes. A whopping $24.99 kg