British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Is this guys life going to be a train wreck? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/guys-life-going-train-wreck-753628/)

Catchafire Apr 2nd 2012 8:05 pm

Is this guys life going to be a train wreck?

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/6683...m-Lotto-winner

We all dream of wining the Lotto. But be careful what you wish for!

Good luck to him, hope it does not ruin his life.

Not that I am jealous or anything. :unsure:

Persephone Apr 2nd 2012 8:25 pm

Re: Is this guys life going to be a train wreck?

Never understood why people always say it won't change their life and they'll still go to work. It's obvious your life would be completely different if you suddenly get that much money. I can understand those who have jobs that they love and carry on doing it as a 'hobby' but if I was a checkout girl I don't think I'd be back there the next day either. I'd be too busy getting over the champagne hangover and planning an expensive holiday!

I wouldn't go public either- begging letter time;)

scottishstacey Apr 2nd 2012 8:32 pm

I dont think i'd go public either. I'd sort my family out and i'd be off to somewhere sunny for a long time!

love30stm Apr 2nd 2012 8:43 pm

New Zealands most eligible batchelor made me lol

Genesis Apr 2nd 2012 9:26 pm

Originally Posted by Catchafire (Post 9985690)
http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/6683...m-Lotto-winner

We all dream of wining the Lotto. But be careful what you wish for!

Good luck to him, hope it does not ruin his life.

Not that I am jealous or anything. :unsure:

I personally think that unless you are REALLY strong it is not going to do you any good. I doubt if I won that much I could deal with it. All the psyche people say and history shows us that the majority of people who win such a huge amount have much heart ache. And apparently giving it away is not that easy. A bloke in the US won loads more than this and gave lots away..it all ended in tears for many a reason. You are never going to know who is your real friend. You will not meet the expectations of those who you do give money to. Some will expect more and start feeling that you have cheated them. It is a lovely ldeal for sure (and I do play) BUT the reality of it is something else. $2-3 million would be way easier to deal with.

I would also be very concerned about my kids and the future..even if I held it in trust until they are say 30 they will not have the same 'will do, I will achieve' mind set whilst at school (IMO) knowing that they are at some point going to inherit such a huge sum.

Another issue is happiness. Many people think this amount of money will bring happiness, guaranteed. It rarely does apparently. Even in the perfect situation with no hangers on and no begging letters and everyone being happy with their cut it seems that most are not any happier than they were and this in itself brings people malcontent.

In the UK the 3 richest people I knew were certainly the least fulfilled and 2 of them are patently not happy. AND they all worked for it too!!!

Genesis Apr 2nd 2012 9:29 pm

Originally Posted by scottishstacey (Post 9985745)
I dont think i'd go public either. I'd sort my family out and i'd be off to somewhere sunny for a long time!

I certainly WOULD not go public..Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad mistake. Did you know he had to borrow $50 off his dad to get to Welly? Bless! He seems like a great bloke and I wish him well and hope that he does not have all the crap that so many lottery winners seem to have. I do think however there are probably more contented winners in Nz than say in the US or the Uk where we have heard of awful tails of woe, family meltdowns and even murder arvo a big win.

scottishstacey Apr 2nd 2012 9:39 pm

Originally Posted by Genesis (Post 9985842)
I certainly WOULD not go public..Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad mistake. Did you know he had to borrow $50 off his dad to get to Welly? Bless! He seems like a great bloke and I wish him well and hope that he does not have all the crap that so many lottery winners seem to have. I do think however there are probably more contented winners in Nz than say in the US or the Uk where we have heard of awful tails of woe, family meltdowns and even murder arvo a big win.

me either, but i suppose if you even told your family or friends it would get around eventually although i wouldnt be sticking around anyway! I live in a small village full of very nosey people. I'd never get peace! There actually was someone who won the lottery here when i was little, they didnt move away, just bought a massive house further away in the back roads. Ironically they are the most miserable people with their money! My mum shared a taxi with one of them a few years ago and he didnt even offer anything towards it :rofl:

I agree about most people not coping, its just far too much money and seems to bring a curse (in the uk anyway, i dont know of any nz winners). I wish him well and hopefully he'll manage to cope with it. :fingerscrossed:

waikatoguy Apr 2nd 2012 9:51 pm

Originally Posted by Genesis (Post 9985837)
In the UK the 3 richest people I knew were certainly the least fulfilled and 2 of them are patently not happy. AND they all worked for it too!!!

I read somewhere that part of what makes us happy is this thing of always striving for a goal. That's why extremely rich people are no happier than the rest of us. Their goal has been fulfilled in terms of wealth and it's like ... 'ok, what do I do now? There's nothing left to achieve.'

cappuccino Apr 2nd 2012 9:57 pm

He didn't actually turn up for work this morning! http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/6683...m-Lotto-winner :rofl:

Genesis Apr 2nd 2012 9:57 pm

Originally Posted by scottishstacey (Post 9985856)
me either, but i suppose if you even told your family or friends it would get around eventually although i wouldnt be sticking around anyway! I live in a small village full of very nosey people. I'd never get peace! There actually was someone who won the lottery here when i was little, they didnt move away, just bought a massive house further away in the back roads. Ironically they are the most miserable people with their money! My mum shared a taxi with one of them a few years ago and he didnt even offer anything towards it :rofl:

I agree about most people not coping, its just far too much money and seems to bring a curse (in the uk anyway, i dont know of any nz winners). I wish him well and hopefully he'll manage to cope with it. :fingerscrossed:

Michael Laws (a radio chap) has pointed out that he does not feel this man is the sharpest tool in the box and this will only complicate things for the poor guy. He does seem very kind, gentle and charming..just the person who could be had over. Most people on the radio this morning are very worried for this chap and his family and what havoc this will wreak upon their lives. He should have been advised very strongly the be quiet..for now anyway and consider relocating if he felt he could. Who wants fame?? Annonimity is one oif the best things there is about being ordinairy. I would hate to be famous, I would like a few bob more than I have simply because I would love to have Kate NOT having to work 40 hours week. IMO the best thing that money could buy me is time. I don't hanker after an Italian car, a big boat or a 2nd or 3rd home..maybe some business class travel, that would be cool and high end holidays. Can't think of much else that I really want. I certainly would not move as I love the little bit we have that is home.

Genesis Apr 2nd 2012 10:06 pm

Originally Posted by waikatoguy (Post 9985876)
I read somewhere that part of what makes us happy is this thing of always striving for a goal. That's why extremely rich people are no happier than the rest of us. Their goal has been fulfilled in terms of wealth and it's like ... 'ok, what do I do now? There's nothing left to achieve.'

Exactly!! Time I think is the best thing money can buy..and health in some cases if you are ill. Having said all that if I was REALLY poor I guess I would be desparate to win as life when you are really skint appears to horrid.

I would worry how it would affect my kids way more than how it would affect me. You know there are quite a few magnates who will not pass on a cent to their children as they fear it will ruin them. How telling is that? My brother in law is quite rich, wants for nothing, amazing house in an amazing village in Devon, big portfolio of property and he's one of the 'lostest' people I know. What he really wanted has elluded him..children. Alas its way to late now as he is well over 60. Very sad eh?

Another very, very rich bloke I know has no contact with his daughter as he spent ALL his time working. He now lives a very lonely life with a bunch od shallow ex car dealers and hangers on. His wife left him as he was unbearable. The other rich bloke I knew was shallower than a shallow puddle. Very much up his arse and image obsessed. I knew him over a very long period and when we 1st met he was pretty much like me and had little money. He was always a bit odd but became less pleasent the richer he came.

love30stm Apr 2nd 2012 10:44 pm

Not the Sharpest tool in the box? Applies to most kiwi men :p

cappuccino Apr 2nd 2012 10:46 pm

Originally Posted by love30stm (Post 9985942)
Not the Sharpest tool in the box? Applies to most kiwi men :p

:rofl:

BEVS Apr 2nd 2012 11:21 pm

Is this guys life going to be a train wreck?
Yup !

Kija Apr 3rd 2012 12:41 am

Originally Posted by cappuccino (Post 9985883)
He didn't actually turn up for work this morning! http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/6683...m-Lotto-winner :rofl:

Yes and there were some pretty bitter remarks about it from people on the radio today, poor guy.