Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Guys, I'm really confused.... ROTORUA

Guys, I'm really confused.... ROTORUA

Old Feb 3rd 2011, 10:32 pm
mick/caz

mwhite1962 has a reputation beyond reputemwhite1962 has a reputation beyond reputemwhite1962 has a reputation beyond reputemwhite1962 has a reputation beyond reputemwhite1962 has a reputation beyond reputemwhite1962 has a reputation beyond reputemwhite1962 has a reputation beyond reputemwhite1962 has a reputation beyond reputemwhite1962 has a reputation beyond reputemwhite1962 has a reputation beyond reputemwhite1962 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Guys, I'm really confused.... ROTORUA

Originally Posted by Gill and Rob
http://www.rotorualibrary.govt.nz/Ab...ry/default.htm

The back of it is sort of opposite Fat Dog/Chambers -the Belgian Bar.
Take some i.d. to join

Gill
Found it!!!
Took my i.d etc and still wouldnt let me join, apparently i need a name and address of someone else that lives here as a sort of referee???

I dont know anybody in nz!!!
Old Feb 4th 2011, 12:30 am
BE Forum Addict

cappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mwhite1962
Found it!!!
Took my i.d etc and still wouldnt let me join, apparently i need a name and address of someone else that lives here as a sort of referee???

The libraries and gyms ask those daft questions - I told them I am here on my own and they can either have a UK contact or nothing at all!
Old Feb 4th 2011, 2:52 am
BE Enthusiast

Tomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond repute

Just caught up with this & read the thread with interest.
We all have different perspectives on emigration in general, and Rotorua in particular, and there's no single right & wrong, just different opinions and experiences. NZ is not Britain, and the fact that they speak the same language here and drive on the same side of the road does not make the 2 countries particularly alike. Maybe part of the culture shock here is the fact that there is a commonly held mis-conception that NZ is similar to the UK
I was also suprised at the references to Rotorua as a "small town". By NZ standards I'd disagree. In fact I went as far to googling population density stuff in NZ, and, according to Wikipaedia Rotorua is the 10th largest town (or city....there's some confusion!), with a current population of 55.900 . And of course with the huge tourism market here the town becomes much busier in the summer months. So if you're comparing with the UK Rotorua is absolutely a small town, I moved from Dartford in Kent, apparently the current population there is 85,911.....and it is a small town (with a large shopping centre, a bridge, a tunnel & very little else). But as a NZ town Rotorua is a reasonable size, and has a decent range of amenities and activities. For more sophisticated night life, theatre, concerts etc you really would want to look at the major centres, Auckland, Wellington, Christchurch and so on.
I'm actually not here to defend Rotorua, or indeed my choice to live here, (I love it btw, happy as the proverbial pig in poo), but horses for courses and all that. And I don't want everyone to suddenly start flocking here....I'm too selfish for that, I really don't want it to get much bigger or busier than it already is. I could start mentioning some of the multitude of things to do, but I think most of that has already been mentioned. Certainly I manage to keep myself very busily entertained. Too busy sometimes...those cobwebs sure grow fast when you're not around to keep up with the housework.
Emigrating out of boredom? You know I'm not sure that that's such a bad idea...it certainly gets you out of a rut, gives you an adventure and some new experiences. We did it anyways and it surely worked for us!!! I think people who move over here with huge expectations, or to escape from problems in the UK are often the ones who are disappointed or who find that the same problems catch up with them here. We were presented with an opportunity, thought "why not....will only regret it if we don't try" and haven't ever seriously looked back. Yes, I get bouts of homesickness and really miss friends and family, but I can't blame NZ for that, and most of the time the positives of being here outweigh the negatives.
That said I wouldn't recommend sinking all your finances into a "do it or die" move...keep a wee bit back to fund an escape route if it turns out that NZ or Rotorua aren't your thing.
Football? My son (19) has played with Rotorua Academy & Rotorua FC, also I know there's a fairly active soccer club in Ngongataha, but I don't know how many adult teams any of them have. I can definitely find out though. My husband is/was a qualified ref (at a very grassroots level) and occasional refs at work soccer matches. Apparently the local Police v the local Firefighters was a very dirty match!! I doubt you'd have much trouble finding a soccer team to sign up to.
Library? No worries there. If you promise not to skip the country leaving unpaid fines and stolen books I'll give you my contact details. I'm a regular library user and it's a real catch 22 having to have a local vouch for you when you don't know anyone in town. It's not as if the person who you name is even approached or asked for their consent....we named some friends in Cambridge, without their knowledge because we were put on the spot and had to name someone.....they were never even notified by the library. So how they could be held responsible if I suddenly started accruing fines or whatever I have no idea.
Wow, sorry, what an essay. Got a bit carried away there, so apologies for that.
Good luck to all of you though, contemplating moving here, there or anywhere in between. I hope it works for you. And if it doesn't....well, you've made the move once, so you know you can do it again if push comes to shove. As far as Rotorua goes I'm very happy to help out newcomers to the town in anyway I can...just give me a nudge though 'cos I'm a fairly infrequent visitor to this site these days
Old Feb 4th 2011, 3:48 am
BE Forum Addict

RobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by boredAThome
I live in Liverpool now, whereabout are you from?
Small world eh!!
We are from Walton! Where do you hail from?
Old Feb 4th 2011, 5:33 am
BE Enthusiast

lisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mwhite1962
Found it!!!

I gave them my work HR 'contact' name and address at the library but your more than welcome to use mine if you want to, just PM me and I'll send you my details.
Old Feb 4th 2011, 6:36 am
mick/caz

mwhite1962 has a reputation beyond reputemwhite1962 has a reputation beyond reputemwhite1962 has a reputation beyond reputemwhite1962 has a reputation beyond reputemwhite1962 has a reputation beyond reputemwhite1962 has a reputation beyond reputemwhite1962 has a reputation beyond reputemwhite1962 has a reputation beyond reputemwhite1962 has a reputation beyond reputemwhite1962 has a reputation beyond reputemwhite1962 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lisamct
I gave them my work HR 'contact' name and address at the library but your more than welcome to use mine if you want to, just PM me and I'll send you my details.
Thank you, but got it sorted, even hired myself a book!!
Old Feb 4th 2011, 10:01 pm
MnB

MnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond repute

Karma worthy Tomsk
Old Feb 6th 2011, 5:51 am
Just Joined

Rob+Don=Jack is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by RobDon
Small world eh!!
We are from Walton! Where do you hail from?
Even smaller because I'm from Rice Lane !!
Old Feb 6th 2011, 9:34 am
BE Forum Addict

RobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond repute

Even smaller because I'm from Rice Lane !!
OMG we lived in Grey Road off Rice Lane!!!

Last edited by RobDon; Feb 6th 2011 at 9:38 am.
Old Feb 6th 2011, 7:31 pm
Just Joined

OMG we lived in Grey Road off Rice Lane!!!
Rawcliffe
Old Feb 6th 2011, 7:43 pm
Just Joined

OMG!! We have prob been in Sainsburys together!!
what a coincidence!!
Old Feb 6th 2011, 7:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

what a coincidence!!
How long ago where you here?
Old Feb 6th 2011, 7:54 pm
Just Joined

How long ago where you here?
I was last there about 3-4 months ago, I stayed with close relatives in Pukehangi.
Old Feb 6th 2011, 8:25 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Goodness me . What a lot of close co-incidences. So close you could be related.

I thought the OP reminded me of someone.
Old Feb 6th 2011, 8:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Sorry for the deleted posts Bevs but just found out this is "Jack" the son we left in the UK. (Remember the thread!)
He is researching moving over here but didnt want us to know he was thinking about it in case he built our hopes up prematurely.
He was after impartial advice!! Like we would give anything else!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.