Gun Laws

Old May 17th 2007, 10:38 pm
It Was Here This Morning

Want2goNow is just really niceWant2goNow is just really niceWant2goNow is just really niceWant2goNow is just really niceWant2goNow is just really niceWant2goNow is just really niceWant2goNow is just really niceWant2goNow is just really niceWant2goNow is just really nice
Default Gun Laws

Hi,

What are the gun laws in NZ like are they the same as the US, or are they very rigid.
I ask because I would not contemplate moving somewhere with a gun law like America, it has been on the news that some redneck has applied for a gun licence for his 18 month old child(they have to put the age on the certificate) and they issued him with a licence. Mad Mad Country:curse:
Old May 17th 2007, 10:55 pm
Account Closed

mazi is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Gun Laws

Originally Posted by Want2goNow
Hi,

What are the gun laws in NZ like are they the same as the US, or are they very rigid.
I ask because I would not contemplate moving somewhere with a gun law like America, it has been on the news that some redneck has applied for a gun licence for his 18 month old child(they have to put the age on the certificate) and they issued him with a licence. Mad Mad Country:curse:
A large number of the population have a gun. You apply, you prove you're not mad by asking someone who knows you and likes you to write on a piece of paper "He's not mad" and then you get a licence.

I think you have to be older than eighteen months though. But it is quite feasible that your grandfather might buy you a gun, as the grandfather in America did.
Old May 17th 2007, 11:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond repute

My neighbours hubby has a gun, he recently renewed his licence, the cops came, asked him questions etc, then went to his neighbour at other side if they thought he was ok to own a gun!
They didn't ask me.
I dont think Dave will shoot me.
Old May 17th 2007, 11:48 pm
P2L
BE Forum Addict

P2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mazi
A large number of the population have a gun. You apply, you prove you're not mad by asking someone who knows you and likes you to write on a piece of paper "He's not mad" and then you get a licence.

I think you have to be older than eighteen months though. But it is quite feasible that your grandfather might buy you a gun, as the grandfather in America did.

Not quite that basic Mazi

My DH has just got his NZ firearms licence. Both of us were interviewed by local firearms officer, the regional firearms officer spoke to someone (also a copper!) in the UK for a character reference, he's sat a written test,of which he cannot get more than 2 wrong and the section on safety must be 100% or it's an instant fail.

We are now awaiting someone to come and inspect where they are to be stored before customs will release them to us.

With regards to children. Ifa 16 or 17 year old wishes to buy or use an airgun, it's the same procedure as above. It is illegal to supply or sell an airgun to anyone under 18

The endorsement on your licence determines what you can use or own. The basic A endorsement covers you for sporting rifles and shotguns

How does this compare to the UK??? Well, you put your application in, pay your fee, the firearms officer comes round, has acup of tea and a chat, sees where you're storing your fireaems and that's your lot!! No tests or interviews or references.

Oh yes, one other thing, if you buy a firearm by mail order in NZ,(very common practise) you have to go to your local police station who basically put the order through for you!!

IMO (as the mother of 3 children), I believe NZ to be a lot more safety conscious, more aware of what people have in their posession and a lot more proactive in the enforcement of the law
Old May 17th 2007, 11:51 pm
Account Closed

mazi is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by kev&sarah
Not quite that basic Mazi
No, I know.

But it was when Boyfriend got his.