Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Guess What Happened At Work Today?!

Guess What Happened At Work Today?!

Old Nov 10th 2006, 8:25 pm

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Guess What Happened At Work Today?!

So there I am minding my own business with one Boss and new staff member in office, when old Loolah lady I know walks past office window. (My accountants mum.) So I wave in a friendly, but don't even think about approaching me, way. So, she enters said office.

"You've not got long now ..." She says.

I think, obviously that I am dying, but someone told her and neglected to tell me?

"I don't know ... " I say

"What you're talking about?" As I flush a hideous shade of fuschia.

"Before you go to New Zealand?" She says.

S*£t, f@8k, b*&^%r I think.

"Noooo, you're obviously confusing me with someone else who's going to New Zealand" I say.

And so it goes on.

For 20 minutes.

Infront of my boss.

Who I haven't told.

Ohhhhh, deep, deep joy!

The end of the tale?

I told Boss. Ouch. Am one of the few that loves my job and really like my bosses.

According to village gossip - we leave in 2 weeks!!! I bloody wish!!!
Old Nov 10th 2006, 8:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

SarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Guess What Happened At Work Today?!

lol.... how embarrassing!! I hope your boss was ok about it when you told him.
Old Nov 10th 2006, 8:39 pm

Originally Posted by SarahB
lol.... how embarrassing!! I hope your boss was ok about it when you told him.
Amazingly, seemed quite sad? Oh little do they know about my "paid" research online when they're out!!

My job is the ONLY think I shall miss here - which I think makes me v v v sad!!
Old Nov 10th 2006, 8:40 pm
Banned

Jack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond repute

Well thats living in Cornishland for you
Old Nov 10th 2006, 8:46 pm

Originally Posted by Jack Daws
Well thats living in Cornishland for you
Have asked aforementioned accountant's mum to let us know who has our tickets, who has bought our house and where we're going in NZ. The village is bound to know before we do!!

Funniest thing about it?

We don't talk to anyone here!!

We don't know when we're going.
Old Nov 10th 2006, 8:48 pm
Banned

Jack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Am Loolah
Have asked aforementioned accountant's mum to let us know who has our tickets, who has bought our house and where we're going in NZ. The village is bound to know before we do!!

Funniest thing about it?

We don't talk to anyone here!!

We don't know when we're going.
I know they are all mad
Old Nov 10th 2006, 8:53 pm

Originally Posted by Jack Daws
I know they are all mad
Six fingers on each hand!!!

ALLEDGEDLY ....

"Have you met my mum & my sister?"

"Here she comes now ... "

I could go on ...!
Old Nov 10th 2006, 8:53 pm
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute

Oh no Ann, how awful! :scared: :scared: :scared:

I'm glad your boss took it well. I know what you mean, though. I've not told my boss, but he does know we're going on hols there. My colleague on another team (another ex-pat Brit, oddly enough) that I've been working with for over 2 years, knows of our plans, and knows not to let on.
Old Nov 10th 2006, 8:58 pm

Originally Posted by Maz
Oh no Ann, how awful! :scared: :scared: :scared:

I'm glad your boss took it well. I know what you mean, though. I've not told my boss, but he does know we're going on hols there. My colleague on another team (another ex-pat Brit, oddly enough) that I've been working with for over 2 years, knows of our plans, and knows not to let on.
Wanted to tell them when the time was right, not when hand was forced?

But feel better for having it out in the open, just hope they don't give me notice on that basis before I'm ready to go?!

There are sooo many clients through work going or visiting NZ am now scared there will be a sign erected at Auckland airport saying ...

"Due to Overcrowding New Zealand is full. We are closed. Your emergency exits are to the rear, the middle and to the front."
Old Nov 10th 2006, 9:40 pm
By name and by nature

Batty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond repute

So there I am minding my own business with one Boss and new staff member in office, when old Loolah lady I know walks past office window. (My accountants mum.) So I wave in a friendly, but don't even think about approaching me, way. So, she enters said office.

"You've not got long now ..." She says.

I think, obviously that I am dying, but someone told her and neglected to tell me?

"I don't know ... " I say

"What you're talking about?" As I flush a hideous shade of fuschia.

"Before you go to New Zealand?" She says.

S*£t, f@8k, b*&^%r I think.

"Noooo, you're obviously confusing me with someone else who's going to New Zealand" I say.

And so it goes on.

For 20 minutes.

Infront of my boss.

Who I haven't told.

Ohhhhh, deep, deep joy!

The end of the tale?

I told Boss. Ouch. Am one of the few that loves my job and really like my bosses.

According to village gossip - we leave in 2 weeks!!! I bloody wish!!!
Oh poor you That was my worst nightmare. We got married 6 months before we left and two of my bosses were at the wedding. I had everyone warned to say NOTHING about NZ in front of them and then our bloody best man nearly let the cat out of the bag :scared: The only reason we got away with it is because they were drunk and didn't pick up on what he said Don't you just love (not) small villages?
Old Nov 10th 2006, 9:47 pm

Originally Posted by Batty
Oh poor you That was my worst nightmare. We got married 6 months before we left and two of my bosses were at the wedding. I had everyone warned to say NOTHING about NZ in front of them and then our bloody best man nearly let the cat out of the bag :scared: The only reason we got away with it is because they were drunk and didn't pick up on what he said Don't you just love (not) small villages?
Isn't it a "wait with baited breath" existance?!

The worst kept secret in the world?!

And no, I hate small village where my private business is my private business!! What they don't know they'll make up anyway!

When we first moved here, we were either

a) Under cover police
or
b) drug dealers

??!!

Now, after nearly 10 years, we are

a) Not one of them (thank you God!)
or
b) Scum/Non-People

That's not me exagerating (sp?) - have actually be called scum, coz won't play their games!

I couldn't care less. I'm going. There is a God!
Old Nov 10th 2006, 9:52 pm
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Don't you just hate it when someone you know (but not well enough to slap them!) drops you in it.........
That tight stomach and the rising colour - I feel for you!
Have a large exceedingly alcoholic drink to calm those nerves.....
Old Nov 10th 2006, 10:22 pm
By name and by nature

Batty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond repute

Isn't it a "wait with baited breath" existance?!

The worst kept secret in the world?!

And no, I hate small village where my private business is my private business!! What they don't know they'll make up anyway!

When we first moved here, we were either

a) Under cover police
or
b) drug dealers

??!!

Now, after nearly 10 years, we are

a) Not one of them (thank you God!)
or
b) Scum/Non-People

That's not me exagerating (sp?) - have actually be called scum, coz won't play their games!

I couldn't care less. I'm going. There is a God!
Oh I know exactly how you feel! 27 years we'd been living in the village my parents moved to when I was 6 and someone called me a 'blow in'.
Old Nov 11th 2006, 6:23 am
Banned

Ucker?
Old Nov 12th 2006, 10:08 am
BE Forum Addict

helinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond repute

Oh loolah
I know what you went through !

I stupidly went into work on friday and said to boss ' I'm happy -solicitor just rang to say we can exchange on house on Monday. Boss said' where are you moving to?' I said to a rented house in Woking' boss looks puzzled and asks why ...I say because we haven't decided which area we want to move to after daughter finishes A levels. oh s**t - I think now she knows I'm not staying past next June! I haven't told her about NZ but she must be wondering what's going on! I need to do 2 more courses in Jan/Feb to update the NNEB to Dip childcare level and so recognisable in NZ.
hope she doesn't think I'm not worth investing in courses now.(she only agreed to put me on them because I agreed to become SENco!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.