Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

GTP (Grduate Teacher Program)in NZ

GTP (Grduate Teacher Program)in NZ

Old Jan 12th 2008, 2:04 pm
Forum Regular

alya has a brilliant futurealya has a brilliant futurealya has a brilliant futurealya has a brilliant futurealya has a brilliant futurealya has a brilliant futurealya has a brilliant future
Default GTP (Grduate Teacher Program)in NZ

Anyone completed this in the UK and been able to have it recognised by NZQA?

Thanks.
Old Jan 26th 2008, 1:11 pm
ak1
Just Joined

ak1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: GTP (Grduate Teacher Program)in NZ

i am currently trying to register at the moment. Gtp is not accepted but you can register via track 2. I am putting together a pack to prove that I have been a qualified teacher for nearly 5 years. lots of info on tes website about GTP to read
Old Jan 26th 2008, 1:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

j19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by alya
Anyone completed this in the UK and been able to have it recognised by NZQA?

Thanks.
Hi there, I posted some info on your other question on Immigration forum posting thingy..... anyway have a look it might be useful!!! Good luck
Old Jan 26th 2008, 6:52 pm
Forum Regular

alya has a brilliant futurealya has a brilliant futurealya has a brilliant futurealya has a brilliant futurealya has a brilliant futurealya has a brilliant futurealya has a brilliant future

Thanks - have looked on the TES forums, they all seem to be absolutely positive that it is a no go - if you register on track 2 can you later re-train out there and become a NZ qualified teacher?
Old Jan 27th 2008, 1:43 pm
ak1
Just Joined

don't know yet but I can't see why not, don't agree gtp is no go, some people have registered via track 2 but been classed as unqualified and had pay deducted. I posted part of an email on TES from NZTC which says if you register via track 2 there should be no penalty in pay anymore. But I suspect this is no so. I have not submitted my stuff yet so it may be a few weeks before I can let you know how I get on
Old Jan 27th 2008, 2:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

j19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond repute

Hi again ,this is a quote from said email from Charles Brown at Auckland Min Ed when I enquired about teaching quals.He gave me advice about all kinds of things!
I know just how you are feeling. I've been trying to find out if they will accept me to teach (or even work) in Early Childhood Centres.But apparently there is NO UK equivalent to their BEd (ECE).Whats a girl to do?:curse:

"Teachers who have qualified teacher status (QTS) , gained through "training on the job" programmes in UK ,such as the Graduate Training Programme (GTP), need to be aware that NZQA does not equate that to the graduate diploma of teaching which is the training qualification for graduate teachers in New Zealand. A number of USA training options are also affected in this way. There are alternate ways by which many such teachers can gain registration if they have teaching experience. However there could be salary implications if you were registered before February 2007. If you hold QTS, you should discuss this with me further so that you fully understand the situation before you come, and it is essential that such teachers complete the registration process before coming to New Zealand."
Old Jan 28th 2008, 6:22 pm
ak1
Just Joined

Thanks for the reply, this may be useful to you to

I got this email of the NZTC

The significance of the February 2007 date is that if a GTP is able to gain registration (which would have to be via track 2,) then there would be no salary differentiation (previous to the beginning of this year there was such a penalty).

So in summary - the GTP is not equated to NZ teacher training, but such teachers who are experienced, can apply for registration via track 2. If they gain registration, then as from February 2007, there will be no salary differentiation ie they will be paid on the same basis as all other registered teachers.

I am hoping that the salary differentiation still stands. I am feeling positive that if I send my eveidence to prove I have taught for 5 years I can gain registration.
Old Jan 28th 2008, 7:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

It all seems so murky doesn't it? Like with the recognised Uni thing. When I studied by BEd Hons it was at a place in Bognor Regis that is now part of Chichester Uni. Trying to get a replacement cert off them as my ex trashed my last one ......Why can't a BEd degree be recognised as such by NZqual people???