GST rules change

Old Dec 1st 2019, 5:40 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Unhappy GST rules change

Just a reminder that there has been a change in the way GST is charged on imported items.

I was wondering why my preferred online automotive parts supplier wouldn't sell me any bits! Everything kept coming up as "Does not ship to your location" and I was thinking it was a bit odd. A quick google suggests our choices are currently Amazon US (not other Amazon sites!) and ASOS.
Old Dec 1st 2019, 8:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: GST rules change

Basically closed a loophole and f####d everything up for everyone. Many items now won't be available in NZ and the rubbish that's brought in legally will be the usual crap standard at inflated prices. Hello 1980's here we come !!
Old Dec 1st 2019, 9:24 am
Finally mesh free!

Vitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Justcol View Post
Basically closed a loophole and f####d everything up for everyone. Many items now won't be available in NZ and the rubbish that's brought in legally will be the usual crap standard at inflated prices. Hello 1980's here we come !!
I think that explains it well. Hacked off of Gulf Harbour!
Old Dec 1st 2019, 10:25 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: GST rules change

...loophole...
Is loophole that the right term? We impose taxes because the state requires funding to provide infrastructure, healthcare, education, social welfare, defence, maintain rule of law etc. These are the prerequisites for a prosperous society and so that cost is passed back to people via taxes on income, sales taxes and corporations via corporate tax.

However is an item that is manufactured outside of New Zealand, sold outside of New Zealand and shipped to New Zealand by a corporation paying taxation (e.g. NZ Post, DHL etc.) benefiting to any great extent? It seems to me that morally the taxes incurred should largely be returned for the betterment of the countries that incurred the costs producing the item and the intermediary that brokered the sale, if they are interested in recovering that cost.
Old Dec 1st 2019, 3:01 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Charismatic View Post
Just a reminder that there has been a change in the way GST is charged on imported items.

I was wondering why my preferred online automotive parts supplier wouldn't sell me any bits! Everything kept coming up as "Does not ship to your location" and I was thinking it was a bit odd. A quick google suggests our choices are currently Amazon US (not other Amazon sites!) and ASOS.
Happened in Oz recently as well. Didn't affect me, but people who used Amazon AU a lot weren't happy.
Old Dec 1st 2019, 3:03 pm
Alone again, naturally

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse View Post
Happened in Oz recently as well. Didn't affect me, but people who used Amazon AU a lot weren't happy.
Its those of us who use Amazon UK who have really suffered as they now refuse to deliver to Aus.
Amazon AU is a waste of time, barely stocks anything and some of the prices are a joke.
Old Dec 1st 2019, 3:23 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana View Post
Its those of us who use Amazon UK who have really suffered as they now refuse to deliver to Aus.
Amazon AU is a waste of time, barely stocks anything and some of the prices are a joke.
Ah, right. Got me Oz and UK mixed up!
Old Dec 2nd 2019, 7:25 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

It's really nothing more than an online shopping tax. Governments are constantly trying to come up with new taxes to slap on us. This is no more than that. It's the most Saint Jacinda of Christchurch ( blessed are those who say her name ) dare to do at this point in time with an election looming, and she has to find something to help pay for the 20 Gazzilion dollars she's just promised to all the schools
Old Dec 4th 2019, 6:06 am
Forum Regular

Timmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond repute

So what's the deal here? Is it like import tax that when you hit a certain figure of value (given by that declaration sticker on the package yeah?) And then that figure gets 15% added on to it and collected on arrival? I might have to try it out for shits n giggles
Old Dec 5th 2019, 6:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

My understanding is, if the retailer does more than 60k of trade per year in NZ, they have to charge GST. That means that the price of anything that retailer sells in NZ will have to increase by 15%. Many overseas sellers won't bother with the extra hassle so will simply be added to the already huge list of "does not ship the New Zealand" Import duty will still be applicable, depending on value

Last edited by Justcol; Dec 5th 2019 at 6:48 pm.
Old Dec 6th 2019, 10:33 am
Truth is the safest lie.

The money's neither here nor there for me. I just want to buy my bits!

I do p​refer taxes to not be regressive because they disproportionately impact those on lower incomes. We won't apply a CGT to property investment but we will apply GST to a mother buying her child a stuffed toy?
Old Dec 7th 2019, 4:23 am
BE Site Lead & Admin

BEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Charismatic View Post
The money's neither here nor there for me. I just want to buy my bits!
Yup.

I do p​refer taxes to not be regressive because they disproportionately impact those on lower incomes. We won't apply a CGT to property investment but we will apply GST to a mother buying her child a stuffed toy?
I know. It is outrageous really.

Old Dec 7th 2019, 7:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Clappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond repute

My understanding is, if the retailer does more than 60k of trade per year in NZ, they have to charge GST. That means that the price of anything that retailer sells in NZ will have to increase by 15%. Many overseas sellers won't bother with the extra hassle so will simply be added to the already huge list of "does not ship the New Zealand" Import duty will still be applicable, depending on value
I would happily pay the 15% GST if it meant there was price competition and I had a choice.

Now I don't get the choice.

Maybe I should stop complaining, abandon my career and open a retail business.