Groceries

Old Apr 20th 2006, 11:07 pm
Forum Regular

aarcc is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Groceries

Having travelled in the USA I know how difficult certain items are to get.

Here's a few I'd miss. Can you get them easily & inexpensively in NZ?

Wholemeal Bread
Twinnings Tea
Coleman's English Mustard
Ribena
Marmite - I've tried Vegemite & found it repulsive
Mushy Peas
Old Apr 20th 2006, 11:13 pm
Forum Regular

shazzafromnz has a brilliant futureshazzafromnz has a brilliant futureshazzafromnz has a brilliant futureshazzafromnz has a brilliant futureshazzafromnz has a brilliant futureshazzafromnz has a brilliant futureshazzafromnz has a brilliant future
Default Re: Groceries

Originally Posted by aarcc
Having travelled in the USA I know how difficult certain items are to get.

Here's a few I'd miss. Can you get them easily & inexpensively in NZ?

Wholemeal Bread
Twinnings Tea
Coleman's English Mustard
Ribena
Marmite - I've tried Vegemite & found it repulsive
Mushy Peas
Hi
I know you can get everything except the mushy peas, which I am not sure about.
Old Apr 20th 2006, 11:26 pm
Forum Regular

annaerb will become famous soon enoughannaerb will become famous soon enough

They have tinned mushy peas
Old Apr 22nd 2006, 7:28 am
BE Forum Addict

SarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond repute

Didnt we have a post all about mushy peas not long ago?
Old Apr 22nd 2006, 7:36 am
Banned

kiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SarahB
Didnt we have a post all about mushy peas not long ago?
Yes and I posted a Jamie Oliver recipe for them which I will now re-post incase anyone wants it.

Mushy Peas
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 bunch spring onions, chopped
1 handful fresh mint, leaves picked
1 pound (500 grams) frozen peas
2 large knobs butter
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper

Heat the oil in a pan and add the chopped onions, mint, and peas. Cover and leave for a few minutes to steam. Mash with a potato masher. You can do this with a food processor as well, just pulse it until smooth. Whether mashing or pulsing, when it's done add the butter and season very carefully, to taste.
Old Apr 23rd 2006, 1:54 am
BE Enthusiast

Winnie has much to be proud ofWinnie has much to be proud ofWinnie has much to be proud ofWinnie has much to be proud ofWinnie has much to be proud ofWinnie has much to be proud ofWinnie has much to be proud ofWinnie has much to be proud ofWinnie has much to be proud ofWinnie has much to be proud ofWinnie has much to be proud of

Ahhhhh, mushy peas again!! You can buy the dried marrowfat peas (the best in my opinion) at Cool Britania in Wellington. However, someone suggested I buy the little blue peas from the spice shop in Petone, very cheap. They are supposed to be just like mushy peas. Have bought them but not given them a try yet, shall let you know when I do. By the way, the spice shop is fantastic, every spice you can think off as well as other asian food, including various flours for chapattis, baji's etc. You can buy as little or as much as you like and the prices are very cheap!
Old Apr 23rd 2006, 10:05 am
Forum Regular

Rustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of light

I never liked the tinned mushy peas and always made my own with garden peas, sugar and water, mmmmmmmm (where's the drool icon! )
Old Apr 23rd 2006, 5:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of light

I'm worried about what they put in our mushy peas that makes them so addictive, there has been so many threads on here about mushy peas you would think it was addictive.

I love em, cant be asse* to make em though so buy mine from New World, they are the Bachelors chip shop mush peas, goes great with fush and chups,
Old Apr 24th 2006, 7:38 am
livewire

I'm going to start a campaign to get the fish and chip shops to use fresh, raw potatoes - frozen chips are ok but the real ones taste soooo much better,

Old Apr 24th 2006, 9:49 am
Banned

kiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by livewire
I'm going to start a campaign to get the fish and chip shops to use fresh, raw potatoes - frozen chips are ok but the real ones taste soooo much better,
Don't most fish n chips shops chip real spuds? I thought it was only some 'burger bar' style places that used those awful commercial frozen ones?

I only ever came across real fresh chips at fisn n chip shops when I was in NZ
Old Apr 24th 2006, 10:07 am
BE Forum Addict

SarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond repute

Worst fries in the world surely are the ones that Burger King sell.... they are simply gross. I could not taste anything even remotely like potato in them.... I loved their burgers though.... now if I could have a BK Whopper with MacD fries Id be happy.
Old Apr 24th 2006, 11:15 am
Banned

breathe is an unknown quantity at this point

Old Apr 24th 2006, 11:18 am
Susie..

Andrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond repute

Is there an echo in here ???
Old Apr 24th 2006, 11:39 am
Banned

Originally Posted by SarahB
Worst fries in the world surely are the ones that Burger King sell.... they are simply gross. I could not taste anything even remotely like potato in them.... I loved their burgers though.... now if I could have a BK Whopper with MacD fries Id be happy.
My understanding is that MacD do use real potatoes, same as KFC
Old Apr 24th 2006, 11:40 am
Banned

Originally Posted by kiwichild
My understanding is that MacD do use real potatoes, same as KFC
Actually so do Hungry Jacks (Burger King ) in OZ

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.