Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Greyhounds As Pets

Greyhounds As Pets

Old Apr 25th 2013, 5:01 am
BE Forum Addict

chippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Greyhounds As Pets

After having to have our dog put to sleep in February, I have really missed a dog in the house.
We have just been okayed as a foster family for ex racing greyhounds. We pick up Tokie next weekend

http://greyhoundsaspets.org.nz/
Old Apr 25th 2013, 8:40 am
Forum Regular

Jobry01 will become famous soon enoughJobry01 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Greyhounds As Pets

Greyhounds are cracking pets, we had to have ours put to sleep in sept after having had her 12 years really miss her
Such a placid soul (rescue dog as well) was great with our three extremely boisterous kids
Good luck

ps got a collie as we missed dog around the house OMG , if you can mind the tazmanian devil in bugs bunny cartoons, well thats our new dog what were we thinking
Old Apr 25th 2013, 7:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

chippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jobry01
ps got a collie as we missed dog around the house OMG , if you can mind the tazmanian devil in bugs bunny cartoons, well thats our new dog what were we thinking
That is hilarious - our dog was a GSD/Collie cross that we adopted from Battersea. Re renamed him Tazz ............ because he reminded us of the cartoon Tasmanian Devil!
Old Apr 26th 2013, 12:10 am
grumpy bugger

theghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chippy64
After having to have our dog put to sleep in February, I have really missed a dog in the house.
We have just been okayed as a foster family for ex racing greyhounds. We pick up Tokie next weekend

http://greyhoundsaspets.org.nz/
We nearly had one a while back, in the end though it wasn't a good fit for us. I fella i worked with has a few and thought they were great. I think it was homes for hounds that his came from. Great pets if you are lazy and don't want mind keeping them on the lead most of the time when you are out and about.

Good on you for helping out
Old Apr 26th 2013, 11:12 am
Forum Regular

Jobry01 will become famous soon enoughJobry01 will become famous soon enough

That is hilarious - our dog was a GSD/Collie cross that we adopted from Battersea. Re renamed him Tazz ............ because he reminded us of the cartoon Tasmanian Devil!

Did he calm down any
Old Apr 27th 2013, 12:21 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Jobry01

Did he calm down any
No!
Old May 19th 2013, 5:05 am
BE Forum Addict

This is Tokie, my foster dog
Attached Thumbnails Greyhounds As Pets-919655_10151482376679601_1552702730_o.jpg  
Old May 20th 2013, 9:02 am
BE Enthusiast

Hazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond repute

I had a retired greyhound as a teenager and he was lovely. We couldn't ever let him off lead when out and about as his instincts to chase and kill were too strong but he was a soppy love with people. I have since met a few others and some can be retrained not to kill when let loose but most of them that are let off lead to run when out and about are kept muzzled just in case.
They are a dog I'd have again as they love cuddles, lazing on the sofa on rainy days and are just so graceful and funny to watch when they run and play.
Old May 20th 2013, 9:40 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Hazelnut
I had a retired greyhound as a teenager and he was lovely. We couldn't ever let him off lead when out and about as his instincts to chase and kill were too strong but he was a soppy love with people. I have since met a few others and some can be retrained not to kill when let loose but most of them that are let off lead to run when out and about are kept muzzled just in case.
They are a dog I'd have again as they love cuddles, lazing on the sofa on rainy days and are just so graceful and funny to watch when they run and play.
Tokie is the same - muzzled when off the lead at the dog park (no recall either) but a total softie at home. Her favourite thing is laying with her head in my lap under the heat pump .

As a foster carer, Greyhounds As Pets provide all equipment (fleece jacket, raincoat, muzzle and lead) as well as food. So, all the fun but none of the cost - a win/win situation for me .

Photos of Tokie in her fleece pj's and in her favourite position - upside down
Attached Thumbnails Greyhounds As Pets-459596_10151466307564601_1348901458_o.jpg   Greyhounds As Pets-465866_10151465837594601_1726926257_o.jpg  
Old May 20th 2013, 8:33 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

she looks lovely, lets hope she gets a loving home soon
Old May 21st 2013, 10:51 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

She does look lovely. I always thought that greyhounds had a good nature.
Old Jun 10th 2013, 1:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Tokie has gone to her forever home in Auckland. I now have Panda
Attached Thumbnails Greyhounds As Pets-964662_10151521991399601_1693774758_o-1-.jpg  
Old Jun 10th 2013, 2:35 am

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

We would have liked to adopt a dog and wouldn't have ruled out a greyhound if we had stayed in Christchurch but like a lot of things, it wasn't to be.

We adopted two pets from the SPCA when we purchased our home on the North Island of New Zealand in September 2011. I could get into fostering dogs but our existing cat (the other one left home in favour of a house in the neighbouring street) would be most put out !
Old Jun 10th 2013, 7:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Snap Shot
I could get into fostering dogs but our existing cat (the other one left home in favour of a house in the neighbouring street) would be most put out !
Some are cat friendly - I have no cats and will therefore only foster dogs that are definitely not! One of the cat owning foster carers has had 14 dogs since December! Still, you don't want to have your cat packing his/her bags
Old Jun 10th 2013, 4:41 pm
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

Some are cat friendly - I have no cats and will therefore only foster dogs that are definitely not! One of the cat owning foster carers has had 14 dogs since December! Still, you don't want to have your cat packing his/her bags
Must be heart breaking to send them on their way afterwards but someone needs to do it. Good for you Chippy!
Greyhounds do make good pets, it has already been said how lazy they are! They are also complete wimps, so many scream the place down if you even show them a needle

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.