Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Greetings from the West Country!

Greetings from the West Country!

Old Feb 1st 2017, 3:50 pm
Just Joined

MrCoxington is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Greetings from the West Country!

Hi all....hope you are all well and your lives are going smoother than a freshly buttered bannister

My wife and I are making our first steps into making the move to New Zealand with our 9 year old son. The 'slight' issue being visas due to not having any employment offers as yet. I'm 46, my wife (40) is a hairdresser and I'm a manager of an estate agency (I can hear you groan from here but we're not all bad, honest!) so all advice/tips and estate agent jokes welcome! 😅Thanks.

Mr C.
Old Feb 1st 2017, 6:30 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Greetings from the West Country!

Welcome,

both occupations are on the skills list so just a job offer for one of you should get the ball rolling. to be honest though there seems to be a glut of both agents and hairdressers it may take quite a while.

From my understanding, when doing my salesperson course for house selling, even if you have worked in the house selling profession outside of NZ you will need to start at the bottom and work your way up, which can take a number of years. There was 6 people on the same course with me at the same agency and only two are still working in the industry one was a English Estate Agent Manager like yourself, he now has a cleaning business . One moved to another location and benefited from the fact that the salespeople there were not motivated, the other one a family member who also worked there had been sleeping with the owner so got preferential treatment. Its all who you know over here.

I agree there are nice agents out there but its really not a nice environment if don't have a selfish streak here.
Old Feb 1st 2017, 6:56 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by MrsFychan
Welcome,

both occupations are on the skills list so just a job offer for one of you should get the ball rolling. to be honest though there seems to be a glut of both agents and hairdressers it may take quite a while.

From my understanding, when doing my salesperson course for house selling, even if you have worked in the house selling profession outside of NZ you will need to start at the bottom and work your way up, which can take a number of years. There was 6 people on the same course with me at the same agency and only two are still working in the industry one was a English Estate Agent Manager like yourself, he now has a cleaning business . One moved to another location and benefited from the fact that the salespeople there were not motivated, the other one a family member who also worked there had been sleeping with the owner so got preferential treatment. Its all who you know over here.

I agree there are nice agents out there but its really not a nice environment if don't have a selfish streak here.
Hi Mrs F and thanks for your reply. Sounds like NZ has similarities with the UK as there's a glut of both hairdressers and estate agents here too. Sadly I don't see myself sleeping with the boss or starting from scratch again or becoming overly selfish anytime soon!
Old Feb 2nd 2017, 12:33 pm
Forum Regular

Sam13 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all....hope you are all well and your lives are going smoother than a freshly buttered bannister

My wife and I are making our first steps into making the move to New Zealand with our 9 year old son. The 'slight' issue being visas due to not having any employment offers as yet. I'm 46, my wife (40) is a hairdresser and I'm a manager of an estate agency (I can hear you groan from here but we're not all bad, honest!) so all advice/tips and estate agent jokes welcome! 😅Thanks.

Mr C.
Hi Mr C, whereabouts in the West Country are you? I am in North Somerset and just starting the process to get my NZ nursing registration to go out with my husband and 3 kids (7,11 and 13). :-)
Old Feb 2nd 2017, 1:20 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Sam13
Hi Mr C, whereabouts in the West Country are you? I am in North Somerset and just starting the process to get my NZ nursing registration to go out with my husband and 3 kids (7,11 and 13). :-)
Hi Sam.....we're in North Somerset too! Small world and all that....
We've heard back from the Emmigration Group today and they've advised us that we don't meet the pass mark for NZ but there may be an option to assess my wife for Australia instead. Try telling that to my snake hating arachnaphobic wife 😅
Old Feb 2nd 2017, 1:53 pm
Forum Regular

Sam13 is an unknown quantity at this point

Ah that's a shame! We only saw one HUGE spider (and no snakes) in our 3 weeks in Oz and that was in the outback so I'm sure you'll be fine in the towns!! 😆 We're the opposite, my qualification is no longer recognised in Oz. Good luck with persuading the wife, oh to escape summer on the m5!