Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Greetings from Northern Ireland

Greetings from Northern Ireland

Old May 1st 2007, 2:30 pm
Just Joined

GILLYB3 will become famous soon enough
Default Greetings from Northern Ireland

Hello out there I want to introduce myself - just registered yesterday and keen to chat.

My husband and I and two kids want a fresh start tired of life here at the moment and have been considering emigrating- thinkin of new zealand. I am thirty eight and he thirty nine kids five and three. We had been planning a new build house to start this year(hubbies a builder) and now just when we should be getting excited about it we are itchin to get out of the rat race at home. We live in northern ireland and the new build was to be our dream home but after five years in planning now we feel so unsettled. I feel I should be typing on a problem page not here. Would love to hear from anyone whose story has any bearing on us.
Old May 1st 2007, 4:05 pm

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice
Default Re: Greetings from Northern Ireland

Welcome and good luck.
Old May 1st 2007, 4:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

ireland has much to be proud ofireland has much to be proud ofireland has much to be proud ofireland has much to be proud ofireland has much to be proud ofireland has much to be proud ofireland has much to be proud ofireland has much to be proud ofireland has much to be proud ofireland has much to be proud ofireland has much to be proud of

HIYA

Welcome to the forum good luck with your dream

ireland
Old May 1st 2007, 8:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

phil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by GILLYB3
Hello out there I want to introduce myself - just registered yesterday and keen to chat.

My husband and I and two kids want a fresh start tired of life here at the moment and have been considering emigrating- thinkin of new zealand. I am thirty eight and he thirty nine kids five and three. We had been planning a new build house to start this year(hubbies a builder) and now just when we should be getting excited about it we are itchin to get out of the rat race at home. We live in northern ireland and the new build was to be our dream home but after five years in planning now we feel so unsettled. I feel I should be typing on a problem page not here. Would love to hear from anyone whose story has any bearing on us.
Hi,
we were in a similar position...just moved into our new dream home in the UK and still felt unsettled, just wanted an adventure so we just thought OK why not if it doesn't work out we have given it a go and seen a bit of the world whilst trying. Been here nearly a year in Northland and love it so far.

Good luck.
Old May 2nd 2007, 10:43 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by phil01
Hi,
we were in a similar position...just moved into our new dream home in the UK and still felt unsettled, just wanted an adventure so we just thought OK why not if it doesn't work out we have given it a go and seen a bit of the world whilst trying. Been here nearly a year in Northland and love it so far.

Good luck.
I was very pleased I got a couple of replies so thanks.

I am a psychiatric nurse and know that work should not be too much of a problem getting work. We would like to visit new zealand thinkin about march next year as its hubbies 40th. Would anyone advice setting up a job interview so that if we liked it and go for the EOI i could add a few more points? the only thing worrying about this would be that realistically it could still take a couple of years before we would be ready to go.
The main hold on moving the dream ahead is that we havetwo beloved dogs aged twelve and thirteen at the moment and I dont want to take them with us as I would be afraid it would kill them.
Looking forward to hearing from you all.
Old May 2nd 2007, 7:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

phil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to behold

I am a psychiatric nurse and know that work should not be too much of a problem getting work. We would like to visit new zealand thinkin about march next year as its hubbies 40th. Would anyone advice setting up a job interview so that if we liked it and go for the EOI i could add a few more points? the only thing worrying about this would be that realistically it could still take a couple of years before we would be ready to go.
The main hold on moving the dream ahead is that we havetwo beloved dogs aged twelve and thirteen at the moment and I dont want to take them with us as I would be afraid it would kill them.
Hi,
the dogs...I would have to agree with you it is such a long journey, we had a boxer and being short nosed the vet said he would struggle with the flight but we left him with mum...spent most of his time with her while we were at work anyway so, we miss him but he seems happy and spoilt enough.

On the jobs front, I would leave it, if it is going to be a couple of years the likelihood is you will struggle to get an offer...however, you should sail through without one being in your chosen career anyway!

Happy b'day to hubby it's my 40th next March too and my hubbys this year!

Good luck,
Debbie
Old May 3rd 2007, 5:07 am
Just Joined

Katmat will become famous soon enoughKatmat will become famous soon enough

Hi there, we moved from NI to Auckland 3 months ago- we have 2 kids. You should come and have a look- only way you will get a feel for the place!
Old May 3rd 2007, 5:20 am
BE Enthusiast

cottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to all

Think both Boopy - who is in the Uk at the moment - and Karonious are psychiatric nurses - they'll help.

Someone else posted about bringing elderly dogs - at 12 and 13 it would be a big ask - if you can leave them with someone who will give them a great life, I would do that - it's a long traumatic journey and, for elderly pets, life-threatening - we faced the same emotions but decided it was in the dogs'/cats' best interests to stay in the UK - really difficult decision, I know.
Old May 3rd 2007, 8:22 am
conquering the world!

karonious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond repute

Hello and welcome to the forum
I work in forensics and have found it to be pretty similar here. The Brit nurses I work with that have also worked in other disciplines here say pretty much the same thing too, so no real worries. They are big on cultural sensitivity here but once you get your registration recognised by the NZ nursing council, they will send you some booklets that outline it succinctly. It seems to take at least 4 months to get your nursing registration recognised, lots of paperwork to organise, so once you have made a definite decision to come here, you need to start following it up pretty quickly. I waited until I had my registration, then started applying direct to the District Health Boards by email. I landed the 2nd job I applied for and have been happy here so far. I only submitted the ITA once I had a job, from start to finish for us, the whole paperwork process only took 2-3 months. You could have a read of my blog if you want, I'm sure some of the earlier posts make some reference to working here in Hamilton.
I would suggest that interviewing now would probably not be fruitful but you could always telephone some of the hospitals once you are here and express your interest for the future and see how that went, rather than a proper interview.
Good luck in whatever you choose, feel free to PM me if you think I can help.
Have some welcome karma!
Karen B

Last edited by karonious; May 3rd 2007 at 8:22 am. Reason: karma!
Old May 3rd 2007, 11:35 am
Just Joined

it is great to hear from you all.

Felt less scary thinking about the future knowing there is friendly people in Nz.

Leaving the dogs behind would not be something we would consider. They were our babies until the real ones came along ten years after we wed. I have really noticed them ageing the last few months.I plan to enjoy the next while we have with them while making plans for the future.

As I said we plan to come out in March for a month. I suppose ideas on how we start our trip would be good. I think hiring a camper van might be the most economical way to get around maybe staying in an area for a bit longer if we think it might be an area we might like to settle in. Let me know what you did. We dont know a soul in NZ so your suggestions would be most welcome. Obviously we would need to think of areas to settle in for work. Probably I would be the main name on the EOI ( psy nurse) hubbies a builder and joiner who has been self employed for too long here very good at his job but we think that he is a bit burnt out at that and he fancies forestry work although he has no experience or qualifications.
Look forward to hearing what you have to say.
Old May 4th 2007, 10:01 am
conquering the world!

karonious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond repute

it is great to hear from you all.

Felt less scary thinking about the future knowing there is friendly people in Nz.

Leaving the dogs behind would not be something we would consider. They were our babies until the real ones came along ten years after we wed. I have really noticed them ageing the last few months.I plan to enjoy the next while we have with them while making plans for the future.

As I said we plan to come out in March for a month. I suppose ideas on how we start our trip would be good. I think hiring a camper van might be the most economical way to get around maybe staying in an area for a bit longer if we think it might be an area we might like to settle in. Let me know what you did. We dont know a soul in NZ so your suggestions would be most welcome. Obviously we would need to think of areas to settle in for work. Probably I would be the main name on the EOI ( psy nurse) hubbies a builder and joiner who has been self employed for too long here very good at his job but we think that he is a bit burnt out at that and he fancies forestry work although he has no experience or qualifications.
Look forward to hearing what you have to say.
What particular branch of Mental Health Nursing do you prefer? There is a very limited field for forensics, only 3 units on NI to my knowledge but I could be wrong. Worth finding out what type of unit you would prefer and then, from your preference, look at locations around that. For instance in Hamilton, we have the Henry Bennet Centre which is a full MH hospital with ECT suite, some other places only have satellite units/wards. You have plenty of time to make up your mind, so take your time
Karen B
Old May 4th 2007, 11:14 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by karonious
What particular branch of Mental Health Nursing do you prefer? There is a very limited field for forensics, only 3 units on NI to my knowledge but I could be wrong. Worth finding out what type of unit you would prefer and then, from your preference, look at locations around that. For instance in Hamilton, we have the Henry Bennet Centre which is a full MH hospital with ECT suite, some other places only have satellite units/wards. You have plenty of time to make up your mind, so take your time
Karen B
Hi there Karen and anyone else with an opinion
At the moment I am working part time in an acute admission ward. I have expereince in enduring mental illness and was the manager of a residential unit for people with schizophrenia. It was their home and we had a move on house I was also the manager of a homeless hostel which had a lot of mental illness/drug alcohol /social problems. The last two were run by charitable/voluntary agencies partly funded by government only. Is there much of that type of stuff around? dont think I want to be in a senior postion just something to give me good job satisfaction with decent morale among staff a bit of craic and of course the ultimate one a- bit of money!

Thanks for chatting with me
Old May 5th 2007, 8:58 am
conquering the world!

Hi there Karen and anyone else with an opinion
At the moment I am working part time in an acute admission ward. I have expereince in enduring mental illness and was the manager of a residential unit for people with schizophrenia. It was their home and we had a move on house I was also the manager of a homeless hostel which had a lot of mental illness/drug alcohol /social problems. The last two were run by charitable/voluntary agencies partly funded by government only. Is there much of that type of stuff around? dont think I want to be in a senior postion just something to give me good job satisfaction with decent morale among staff a bit of craic and of course the ultimate one a- bit of money!

Thanks for chatting with me
Being relatively new here myself, I am still coming to grips with what services are available. I will ask about at work next week and get back to you

just found this on forensic services when I was looking for something else:
Mason Clinic, Auckland; 84 beds; Auckland Regional Forensic Service (RFS)
Henry Rongomau-Bennett Centre, Hamilton; 40 beds; Waikato RFS
Stanford House, Wanganui; 10 beds; Central RFS
Ratonga-Rua-o-Porirua, Porirua; 40 beds; Central RFS
Hillmorton Hospital, Christchurch; 34 beds; Canterbury RFS
Wakari Hospital, Dunedin; 13 beds; Otago/Southland RFS.
Hauora Waikato also provides 15 ‘step-down’ inpatient beds for forensic patients who are being transferred out of secure care.

There are a whole range of Hauora waikato health services that Maori can access. Although these services are only for Maori, they are staffed by personel from all over the place, not only Maori. It is not a field I would personally consider at the moment as I do not feel I know enough about Maori culture after only 7 months in NZ
It would also depend on where you fancied settling.
Old May 5th 2007, 9:23 am
BE Enthusiast

cottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to all

Originally Posted by karonious
Being relatively new here myself, I am still coming to grips with what services are available. I will ask about at work next week and get back to you

just found this on forensic services when I was looking for something else:
Mason Clinic, Auckland; 84 beds; Auckland Regional Forensic Service (RFS)
Henry Rongomau-Bennett Centre, Hamilton; 40 beds; Waikato RFS
Stanford House, Wanganui; 10 beds; Central RFS
Ratonga-Rua-o-Porirua, Porirua; 40 beds; Central RFS
Hillmorton Hospital, Christchurch; 34 beds; Canterbury RFS
Wakari Hospital, Dunedin; 13 beds; Otago/Southland RFS.
Hauora Waikato also provides 15 ‘step-down’ inpatient beds for forensic patients who are being transferred out of secure care.

There are a whole range of Hauora waikato health services that Maori can access. Although these services are only for Maori, they are staffed by personel from all over the place, not only Maori. It is not a field I would personally consider at the moment as I do not feel I know enough about Maori culture after only 7 months in NZ
It would also depend on where you fancied settling.
Why are the Hauora Waikato Health Services "only for Maori" ??
Old May 5th 2007, 9:39 am
conquering the world!

Originally Posted by cottageinthesky
Why are the Hauora Waikato Health Services "only for Maori" ??
As far as I am aware, they deal with a lot of cultural issues. Also to do with positive impact and health gain for Maori, which health services nationally are trying to improve. I can't find a website that gives me specific info, so sorry to waffle. Maori and Pacific Islanders tend not to access health services as early as other races do, with the knock on effect that their problems are more entrenched by the time they do . Offering a specific service that caters for their needs tailors the care accordingly.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.