Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

The Great New Zealand picture thread

The Great New Zealand picture thread

Old Mar 19th 2007, 8:23 pm
Happy in Wellington

RobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Great New Zealand picture thread

This country is sooo beautiful!
Old Mar 19th 2007, 8:43 pm
A land far far away

pixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond repute

yesterday..who said it was autumn??

Old Mar 19th 2007, 8:47 pm
Banned

Jack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond repute

Now listen here MR Clubley and Cambells

STOP posting such stunning pictures you are making me sick

I want to be there NOW
Old Mar 19th 2007, 8:55 pm
Happy in Wellington

RobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jack The Lad
Now listen here MR Clubley and Cambells

STOP posting such stunning pictures you are making me sick

I want to be there NOW
Well get a move on then!
Old Mar 19th 2007, 8:56 pm
Happy in Wellington

Originally Posted by pixi-dust
yesterday..who said it was autumn??

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y26...e/P1000093.jpg

That's not a labradoodle is it?
Old Mar 19th 2007, 9:07 pm
A land far far away

pixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RobClubley
That's not a labradoodle is it?
yes - stupid name!

We've got 2 - have you seen Bob? och here he is anyway!

and this is Brodie before his summer scalping ( hes only a puppy still and a bit naughty)
Old Mar 19th 2007, 9:10 pm
Banned

Campbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to behold

Campbells, dolphins in the water are amazing! We're lucky enough to see them most times we go out on the boat - not every time - but a lot.
Last September we had just been diving and surfaced, we were in a smallish sheltered cove. Our friend on the boat said we'd just missed a pod of dolphins - anyway we decided to stay in for a snorkel and about 2 minutes later the pod came back! We actually swam with them for about 2 hours. Close enough to touch and jumping out of the water and doing that thing where they sort of swim backwards vertically and stuff. Of course I have not one picture of this cos we were too blown away by the whole thing! But it was one of the best things I have ever done in my life. There is something magical about seeing them in the wild like that. Can't say I ever saw that diving off of Oban!!
Yes, Dolphins are amazing and the Russians did lots of research during WWII and believe dolphins were inspirational for the early versions of sonar.

As you probably know Oban is quite a popular tourist spot and dolphin cruises are quite popular there now. Have a look at this. http://sealife-adventures.com/news.html

Used to dive Sodwana bay which is the Indian Ocean, east coast of Natal running up towards Mozambique. Had lots of experiences with them swimming alongside the boat but never been in the water with them.

Saw quite a lot of them in the Cape where we did the Hermanus whale watching thing, of course Dolphins are actually whales (toothed whales). Managed to get some video of them playing in the surf probably about 500 mtrs out but not anything like the gymnastics in Rob’s video.

The whole dolphin thing became quite a hype and I think it was in the UK where they were studying the effect of water birthed children where dolphins were in the water at the time of birth.

It is something that I would love to do is swim with dolphins. Have never dived in the UK, was invited to do a dive at Scapa Flow which was dry suit diving and I prefer warm water.

Personally, being outdoors with nature (and having experienced a lot of wildlife in Africa) is something really special. We have most of the BBC wildlife documentaries and my favourite is The Blue Planet (some serious photography there) if you haven’t seen it I am sure you would enjoy that.
Our wee lad loves watching it too.

Cheers
Old Mar 19th 2007, 9:19 pm
Banned

Campbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by RobClubley
This country is sooo beautiful!
Man, your panorama shots are awesome

Do you shoot the sequence on tripod?

Cheers

Last edited by Campbells; Mar 19th 2007 at 9:42 pm. Reason: sp
Old Mar 19th 2007, 9:28 pm
Happy in Wellington

Originally Posted by Campbells
Man, your panorma shots are awesome

Do you shoot the sequence on tripod?

Cheers
No, all hand-held. The software compensates for the variations in, er, levelness of the pictures.
I just tend to do a quick snap, move, snap, move etc with a good 30% of overlap and they come out pretty well.
Old Mar 19th 2007, 9:31 pm
Happy in Wellington

yes - stupid name!

We've got 2 - have you seen Bob? och here he is anyway!

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y26...DSCF0012-1.jpg

and this is Brodie before his summer scalping ( hes only a puppy still and a bit naughty)
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y26...1172635410.jpg
He's gorgeous! I'd better not let Melanie see his picture.
Old Mar 19th 2007, 10:40 pm
A land far far away

Campbells, we got a boxed set of all the Attenborough ( SP??) wildlife porgrammes before we came over cos the telly is not so brilliant and we don't have sky!! its our favourite thing to watch!

Can't say I miss the drysuit diving - you feel a lot freeer in a wetsuit - I dive pretty much all year here in a 2mm!! (3 on the body!) folk think thats insane - but they've never dived in Scotland!

I've never seen a whale though. That must have been awesome.

Rob - he is the best dog!! Go on!! Let Melanie see him!
Old Mar 19th 2007, 10:53 pm

Beachcombers is an unknown quantity at this point

Can't say I miss the drysuit diving - you feel a lot freeer in a wetsuit - I dive pretty much all year here in a 2mm!! (3 on the body!) folk think thats insane - but they've never dived in Scotland!
Geeze Pixie! Talk about hard core! Much respect.

I did the poor nights in summer in a 5mm and was freezing my bits off at the end! Got 7mm semi dry now (South Island), mmmm toasty.
Old Mar 19th 2007, 11:06 pm
A land far far away

Originally Posted by Beachcombers
Geeze Pixie! Talk about hard core! Much respect.

I did the poor nights in summer in a 5mm and was freezing my bits off at the end! Got 7mm semi dry now (South Island), mmmm toasty.
ooo We're going to book Poor Knights for a few weeks time - how was it? did you love it? I've only heard good things.

Aha! us Scottish divers - mental we are!!
Old Mar 19th 2007, 11:39 pm

Beachcombers is an unknown quantity at this point

ooo We're going to book Poor Knights for a few weeks time - how was it? did you love it? I've only heard good things.

Aha! us Scottish divers - mental we are!!
It was awesome! But we booked through a company in Phahia and it was a bit of a backpacker special so the boat was a bit busy. But once we were in the water is was great! Amazing swim throughs - massive, beautiful with the sunshine coming through. Heaps and heaps of fish life. Well worth it, but check out some of the other operators or go with a club!

Nutso scottish divers, bet you are BSAC as well! EXTREME!
Old Mar 19th 2007, 11:56 pm
A land far far away

thats exactly what we heard! Friends of ours did it about three weeks ago - they went through Paihia too but there were max 6 divers on the boat. We also get all our fills through DiveHQ and so know them and they do trips too so will most likely speak to them - thank you - you've spurred (?) me on to get my finger out and do something about it all!!

yes - I am BSAC - club trained. Many moons ago my first dive ever was in about zero visability and water temp was 9 degrees - its ingrained in my brain - I thought I was going to die! I fell over on the shore with all the kit on - dry suit, 32lb weight belt - pony - the lot - and it was all so heavy I couldnt get up!!I just didn't have the strength. I was on my back floundering around like a beached whale! Great start!! ( and all the guys were laughing ) oh and to add insult to injury all I saw was a huge starfish - but it blew me away and been hooked ever since.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.