British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   The great kiwi pastime of shooting your mate claims another ! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/great-kiwi-pastime-shooting-your-mate-claims-another-756614/)

sparkie down under Apr 30th 2012 3:47 am

The great kiwi pastime of shooting your mate claims another !

You know it buggers me how you can kill someone in the country and get away with it, (just about), so long as you are "hunting".

As someone who loves the outdoors it is starting to scare me shitless at the number of twats who go out 'hunting' and don't follow the rules, or are even unable to shoot properly.:frown:

This weekend another "Great bloke" was shot dead by his mate as they were illegally shooting at night and where is his murderer? Still out, at large waiting for the police to have a chat about the tragic accident!:( WTF

When is this "I'm a Kiwi bloke, I fish, I support the AB's, I hunt and I drink heaps of piss" attitude going to end.

My suggestion - give them all guns and 2 slabs and send the lot out into a designated bush (so the rest of us can stay away) and tell them it's packed with deer and pigs and they have to go get ! End of problem - they'll all shoot each other:thumbsup:

hazeandsteve Apr 30th 2012 9:12 am

Re: The great kiwi pastime of shooting your mate claims another !

There's plenty of responsible hunters out there.
I know it's the irresponsible ones you have to worry about pointing at you, but if we all lived in fear of what others could posibly do to us, you'd never leave the house.
Please don't be kicking off some debate about banning hunting.....I'll be giving you the "if you don't like NZ life" talk if you go that way.
Why not get into kids killing their mates in overpowered car crashes instead?

Browner_ Apr 30th 2012 9:46 am

Originally Posted by sparkie down under (Post 10032302)
When is this "I'm a Kiwi bloke, I fish, I support the AB's, I hunt and I drink heaps of piss" attitude going to end.

It probably wont. Farmers hunting is one thing, but weekenders going out to shoot things for fun, normally whilst getting trashed, is tragic.

Charismatic Apr 30th 2012 10:17 am

Obviously they should ban hunting. Although to be prudent we should go a step further and ban firearm ownership.

Or just stop shooting at things in the dark because...you know...you can't see what you are shooting at in darkness.

There was an article in the Southland Times where Southland ER where saying they get four or five people each year who have shot themselves while duck hunting, often while drunk. Maybe there should be an ACC levy on ammunition.

As Chris Rock noted if ammunition was $1000 a round people would be much more careful and considered while using firearms. Maybe that is the answer.

hazeandsteve Apr 30th 2012 5:19 pm

.....my work colleague was a friend of not this one, but the previous one who was killed.
But then, he tried to tell me how he was a great driver, hadn't his licence long, was so surprised so many of his chilhood friends had died (mostly in cars).....all before I asked him to stop texting while driving.
I now drive when needed.

He wants to take me hunting.....

sparkie down under Apr 30th 2012 8:06 pm

hazeandsteve
kids killing their mates in overpowered car crashes

I am totally with you on that one and no argument from me on that one. As someone who drives at least 1,500-2,000 Km each week, ex IAM, ACU racing licence, and motorbike instructor, I am appalled at the level of driving competency. So lets start a new thread on that one.

But as a hiker and hill walker I am astonished that every year we read of cases where idiots kill their mates because they can quite easily get a gun, go out without any training and kill things, usually their mates. And these buffoons are out there when I'm walking, and that scares me.

As there are responsible drivers, there are responsible hunters, and I've met them, but for every one that is responsible there are more irresponsible ones.

Shooting at night is totally illegal. Breaking the speed limit is illegal. Yet you break the speed limit and you will get ticketed, you shoot at night and you WILL get away with unless of course you kill your mate and even then you might get away with it.

There is a macho image with hunting in NZ and Kiwi's love it and any attempt to control it or change it is met with resistance.

I'm not against gun ownership. what I am against is gun ownership by uneducated, untrained, unrestricted people who have no need for a gun other than penis envy.

BEVS Apr 30th 2012 10:08 pm

Oddly enough the your lad that works alongside Mr BEVS mentioned that he'd had a similar slightly worrying moment last weekend. moment. This young man is a keen and avid hunter. He'd like to work for DOC really and also become a hunters guide type of bloke. To this end he's trying to get his helicopter pilots license but his family insist he needs a trade to fall back on first. His family own a deer farm . He's a country boy and the hunting is 2nd nature to him. His preferred past-time.

Last weekend , he'd taken himself off for an overnighter . ( He'll never meet a girl that way :p) It was just his kit and a sleeping bag etc. Bare essentials. Sleep under the sky type of thing. He'd bunked down and was asleep when disturbed by flashlights. He realised he could not move for fear of...so, apparently, rolled himself down a bank and holed up ,dead still, until they had long passed. He wasn't best pleased. No idea of the rights or wrongs here but this lad is a laid back sorta kiwi guy who clearly knows his hunting & he was clearly miffed enough to grumble to Mr BEVS.

On the subject of blasted Hooners. We've now got 2 around the village to compliment the lowlife neighbours and noisy pub. Bliss. :lol:

Stormer999 Apr 30th 2012 10:17 pm

Quite strange for a nation of people who love to throw themselves off cliffs, jump out of aircraft with or without parachutes, roll, run or drive uncontrolled down almost perpendicular hills, charge at ridiculous speeds up rivers have virtually no water, charge down rapids that are all white water in little rubber rings filled with air...........there are any left alive.......:eek:;)

Snap Shot May 1st 2012 4:57 am

Originally Posted by sparkie down under (Post 10033694)
hazeandsteve
kids killing their mates in overpowered car crashes

I am totally with you on that one and no argument from me on that one. As someone who drives at least 1,500-2,000 Km each week, ex IAM, ACU racing licence, and motorbike instructor, I am appalled at the level of driving competency. So lets start a new thread on that one.

But as a hiker and hill walker I am astonished that every year we read of cases where idiots kill their mates because they can quite easily get a gun, go out without any training and kill things, usually their mates. And these buffoons are out there when I'm walking, and that scares me.

As there are responsible drivers, there are responsible hunters, and I've met them, but for every one that is responsible there are more irresponsible ones.

Shooting at night is totally illegal. Breaking the speed limit is illegal. Yet you break the speed limit and you will get ticketed, you shoot at night and you WILL get away with unless of course you kill your mate and even then you might get away with it.

There is a macho image with hunting in NZ and Kiwi's love it and any attempt to control it or change it is met with resistance.

I'm not against gun ownership. what I am against is gun ownership by uneducated, untrained, unrestricted people who have no need for a gun other than penis envy.

+1 Too true. Can't believe the bloke that accidentally shot and killed a tourist at a campsite who was brushing her teeth effectively got away with it. He was released from prison because the authorities accepted, 'he didn't mean it'. Oh, so, that's alright then. I'm asuming it was a bullet to the head as if she was prey. So he DID mean it. I'm sure that will make all the difference to the grieving relatives. Since when did deer have long hair ? What species was the hunter going for ? Did the hunter have good eyesight ? Did he really not know he was aiming his weapon (member ?) in the direction of a camp site ? Target acquisition and weapon aiming is for the military. Yes I accept generally criminals probably think the same way in their line of work. Seems these weekend heroes can make a target out of any of us. Especially whilst exploring this glorious NZ countryside so keenly promoted at home and abroad.

Does this mean you can pretty much, 'do' for someone as long as you make it look like a hunting accident ? The most recent shooting just sounds like natural selection to me.

sparkie down under May 1st 2012 5:09 am

Originally Posted by BEVS (Post 10033938)
Oddly enough the your lad that works alongside Mr BEVS mentioned that he'd had a similar slightly worrying moment last weekend. moment. This young man is a keen and avid hunter. He'd like to work for DOC really and also become a hunters guide type of bloke. To this end he's trying to get his helicopter pilots license but his family insist he needs a trade to fall back on first. His family own a deer farm . He's a country boy and the hunting is 2nd nature to him. His preferred past-time.

Last weekend , he'd taken himself off for an overnighter . ( He'll never meet a girl that way :p) It was just his kit and a sleeping bag etc. Bare essentials. Sleep under the sky type of thing. He'd bunked down and was asleep when disturbed by flashlights. He realised he could not move for fear of...so, apparently, rolled himself down a bank and holed up ,dead still, until they had long passed. He wasn't best pleased. No idea of the rights or wrongs here but this lad is a laid back sorta kiwi guy who clearly knows his hunting & he was clearly miffed enough to grumble to Mr BEVS.

On the subject of blasted Hooners. We've now got 2 around the village to compliment the lowlife neighbours and noisy pub. Bliss. :lol:

This is what I'm on about, and how clever was that kid! It's the innocents, like that woman who was cleaning her teeth in the lake and was shot by spotlighters, who are put at risk by these idiots.

A very good friend of mine owns a large block (400Ha) up in the central plateau. From his place it's an easy yomp into the back blocks for hunters but so few took any care of his fences so he put a stop to it and didn't allow anyone in.
Then in the following season he came across 3 hunters (?) and told them to leave. After some words they turned around and he thought they'd left. Later on that same afternoon he was pushing some 2 tooths through some bush when he heard a bullet wizz past his head. He shouted out and another bullet cracked off a close by tree. By now he was screaming and shouting at these idiots and pushed through the bush to see the same 3 hunters legging it as fast as they could. They hadn't left as he told they just doubled back and mistook him for a goat ????
Every now and then he comes across a skinned goats fleece hung over a fence. The only reason it's there is to piss him off, it's to say I've been on your land, shooting and this is what I've killed.
He reports every incident but the police do nothing.:thumbdown:

Snap Shot May 1st 2012 5:12 am

Very interesting post Sparkie. Wild goats are considered a pest in NZ. DOC actively keeps their numbers down using shotguns. I believe they are humanely killed.

On another note, does anyone think that the owners of gun shops could really care less who they sell their guns to ? For the record there are four gun shops where I live. The duck shooting season starts here on May 8. I didn't really understand why it was promoted so widely last year. I now realise it's an annual ritual and hunters' blood must be up. Testosterone and guns. Yeah, we need more of that.

Robbie2010 May 1st 2012 5:53 am

Shooting at night is totally illegal. ............................................... .

No it isn't!

http://www.google.co.nz/url?sa=t&rct...E9njY942vEieqQ

http://www.google.co.nz/url?sa=t&rct...q_Lb1hakJjfmnw

But Spotlighting on New Zealand Department of Conservation land is prohibited by law

hazeandsteve May 1st 2012 6:44 am

Shooting at night is totally illegal.

It's only illegal on public conservation land.

Bo-Jangles May 1st 2012 6:52 am

Originally Posted by Stormer999 (Post 10033965)
Quite strange for a nation of people who love to throw themselves off cliffs, jump out of aircraft with or without parachutes, roll, run or drive uncontrolled down almost perpendicular hills, charge at ridiculous speeds up rivers have virtually no water, charge down rapids that are all white water in little rubber rings filled with air...........there are any left alive.......:eek:;)

Whatever!

Which people are doing any of these things? Only tourists and we manage to kill off an extrordinary amount of them each year.

I've yet to meet any Kiwis that spend their weekend doing any of those things. Most around here spend their weekend at Westfield or mowing the lawn.

P18PPS May 1st 2012 7:23 am

yawn, yawn.... going to bed now and brush my teeth :ohmy: