Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

From great to crap.

From great to crap.

Old Sep 23rd 2006, 9:47 am
Banned

Campbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to behold
Default From great to crap.

From great to crap.

Having gone through the immigration process twice in my life with the second time being eighteen months ago I have done a fair amount of nuerobics. A “global potential country for a decent family life” does not bring up many results on any search engine. :scared:

We have / are settling in Auckland but do see the tell-tale signs of the rot setting in here. Or as it is put in the movie, Never Ending Story – “The Nothing”.

My question:
It would be interesting to hear from folk with regards to why they feel the world has been allowed to decay (or if they feel the opposite) to the various stages of from great to crap (there’s a title challenge for Jim Collins!).

For example in my home town in Scotland the elderly do not walk the streets as it is not safe anymore. Why?

Here in New Zealand if you are a smoker you will receive all sorts of frowns, yet teenagers are raging around the streets with high performance cars at crazy speeds to the extent you get wakened up in the middle of the night by the noise. But hell, don’t light up a smoke, you’ll get arrested. This is clean green NZ. The murder rate here in NZ is on the increase so what is important? Why are these majors being ignored by politicians ALL OVER THE WORLD?

I experienced South Africa falling apart to the extent that the police stations were being protected by private security companies but yet if you failed to submit your tax return or pay a speeding ticket you would be getting a knock at your door.

Here in New Zealand and in many other countries (as well as South Africa) if someone invades your home in the middle of the night and you give them a severe hiding you will be the one getting marched off to court to be branded “criminal”. Real criminals have rights coming every orifice of their bodies and decent folk that struggle to bring up their children with respect, standards and manners etc etc are the folk whose voices are not heard. WHY?

I am one of these people that can strike up a conversation with anyone and enjoy doing so, I enjoy people. I have spoken to many folk here about the rot setting in and everyone I have spoken to agrees, yet I never hear of anything getting done. One would imagine that NZ can look at other countries that have experienced these signs and the end results of deterioration to society and act accordingly, but it would seem that the politicians have done a global cut & paste job for a strategy because the results seem to be getting duplicated .

I do understand that we are subject to global shrinking and that even Alaska has` their own strain of Rapp Music blah blah blah.

Here’s my question - is all this really a success story and if not why is nothing getting done?

Love to hear your thoughts............
Old Sep 23rd 2006, 8:22 pm
Susie..

Andrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: From great to crap.

I think you find good and bad in all countries. There is no such thing as the perfect country, if there were, we would all be living there.....

I totally agree with the smoking thing. Real biggy, they hate smokers, but each to their own. The boy racers with their big exhausts, well that just bewilders me. Why would you want that big thing booming at the back of the car. Its obviously to grab attention and to annoy people.

IMO, for my kids, Nz is the better place to be. Without a doubt my kids definitely have more freedom here. I did make the right choice moving here for them. One of the main concerns for our children was being able to buy a house. I know the prices are rising here too, but in the Uk there was no way they would have been able to afford a home of their own - ever, unless they won the lotto (we are from surrey). At least here I see them having a future, with a job, family and home of their own. Which at the end of the day is all any parent wants for their kids.

Sue
Old Sep 23rd 2006, 8:46 pm
Forum Regular

IainW is just really niceIainW is just really niceIainW is just really niceIainW is just really niceIainW is just really niceIainW is just really niceIainW is just really niceIainW is just really niceIainW is just really niceIainW is just really niceIainW is just really nice

Originally Posted by Andrew Cross
Why would you want that big thing booming at the back of the car. Its obviously to grab attention and to annoy people.
They're teenagers. They are supposed to annoy people and make the older generation tut at them, it's in the job description.
Old Sep 23rd 2006, 9:12 pm
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Andrew Cross
I totally agree with the smoking thing. Real biggy, they hate smokers, but each to their own. The boy racers with their big exhausts, well that just bewilders me. Why would you want that big thing booming at the back of the car. Its obviously to grab attention and to annoy people.

Sue
In Oz they have a "hoon" law so the cars can be taken away for "hoon" behaviour. It seems to be working because the police garage is packed and there has been a drop in "hoon" activity.
Old Sep 23rd 2006, 9:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

ladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Campbells
From great to crap.

Having gone through the immigration process twice in my life with the second time being eighteen months ago I have done a fair amount of nuerobics. A “global potential country for a decent family life” does not bring up many results on any search engine. :scared:

We have / are settling in Auckland but do see the tell-tale signs of the rot setting in here. Or as it is put in the movie, Never Ending Story – “The Nothing”.

My question:
It would be interesting to hear from folk with regards to why they feel the world has been allowed to decay (or if they feel the opposite) to the various stages of from great to crap (there’s a title challenge for Jim Collins!).

For example in my home town in Scotland the elderly do not walk the streets as it is not safe anymore. Why?

Here in New Zealand if you are a smoker you will receive all sorts of frowns, yet teenagers are raging around the streets with high performance cars at crazy speeds to the extent you get wakened up in the middle of the night by the noise. But hell, don’t light up a smoke, you’ll get arrested. This is clean green NZ. The murder rate here in NZ is on the increase so what is important? Why are these majors being ignored by politicians ALL OVER THE WORLD?

I experienced South Africa falling apart to the extent that the police stations were being protected by private security companies but yet if you failed to submit your tax return or pay a speeding ticket you would be getting a knock at your door.

Here in New Zealand and in many other countries (as well as South Africa) if someone invades your home in the middle of the night and you give them a severe hiding you will be the one getting marched off to court to be branded “criminal”. Real criminals have rights coming every orifice of their bodies and decent folk that struggle to bring up their children with respect, standards and manners etc etc are the folk whose voices are not heard. WHY?

I am one of these people that can strike up a conversation with anyone and enjoy doing so, I enjoy people. I have spoken to many folk here about the rot setting in and everyone I have spoken to agrees, yet I never hear of anything getting done. One would imagine that NZ can look at other countries that have experienced these signs and the end results of deterioration to society and act accordingly, but it would seem that the politicians have done a global cut & paste job for a strategy because the results seem to be getting duplicated .

I do understand that we are subject to global shrinking and that even Alaska has` their own strain of Rapp Music blah blah blah.

Here’s my question - is all this really a success story and if not why is nothing getting done?

Love to hear your thoughts............
Interesting points you raise. I too find it weird that if someone enters your home you have to be worried about hurting them! There are many things I do not like about the US, hence I will be leaving soon, however where I think they do have it right is that if someone enters your home you cannot be punished for defending yourself in any way necessary (actualy many of our US friends have loaded guns near the bed and have vowed to blow away any burglar :scared: ) I guess a US burglar is probably more dangerous than your average. Anyway still it seems more right to me. Also the Police here get help from its citizens, and they will call them if they have information about a crime. So it seems they have support. I obviously wouldnt like to generalise here of course.

After living here for the last 4 years I've noticed that whilst they have more rules than the average country people are more on the whole respectful of those rules. People frown upon things that in other countries are considered almost cool to defy. I hasten to point out however I have lived in a very nice neigbourhood and do not venture into certain areas as these areas have absolutely no respect for anything, including themselves. So my statement does not sweep across the country as a whole.
Old Sep 25th 2006, 3:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

I blame the civil libertarians...weak sentencing...lack of discipline..no national service and namby pamby goverments with no balls...we need to adopt the penal ways Singapore, Malaysia, Indonesia and a few Middle east countries where they really do sort out criminals. I am a bit of a leftie myself but I am sick and tired of thugs and crack heads getting away with soooo much stuff. Maximum, zero tolerance...it works!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I adore my kids, I tell em I love em and I really do alot of positive affirmation stuff..the flip side is they will be well behaved and show respect to all people and things..animals included...they will have discipline and they will tow the line....too many parents appear to find it easier to let their kids do what they like.

Nasty little kids swimming with dolphins...what is that all about??? Boot camps and more of 'em!!! The world is going to rat crap....UK NZ everywhere..we really need to get tough on crime...build more prisons...make them a real deterrent/ TVs...Xmas dinners????????? They would be on basic rations if I had my way...from what I can glean too many prisons are a walk in the park..in the UK anyways.

Bitter? Me? Totally and utterly about the hopelessness of the current legal/judicia/penal system in too many countries. We appear to be toothless whilst living in fear of the next crime.

Return to both capital and corporal punishment..I know all the arguments about Hanratty and its not a real detterent..I' will take my chances of being wrongly found guilty. Rant over.
Old Sep 25th 2006, 11:30 am
Banned

Campbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to behold

[QUOTE=Genesis]I blame the civil libertarians...weak sentencing...lack of discipline..no national service and namby pamby goverments with no balls...we need to adopt the penal ways Singapore, Malaysia, Indonesia and a few Middle east countries where they really do sort out criminals. I am a bit of a leftie myself but I am sick and tired of thugs and crack heads getting away with soooo much stuff. Maximum, zero tolerance...it works!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!QUOTE]

Hey there.
"No balls: you said it, the NZ PM ? :scared:

The crazy thing is that NZ is STILL light on crime but the signs are on the wall and if we don't heed them NZ WILL become just like the other countries that are RIDDLED with crime.

You ever read the book The Tipping Point? The section where they discuss broken windows and are referring to the crime problems in New York in the 80s and the strategy that was rolled out to TAKE BACK the ground that had been lost to the yobs and wanna be rappers.

The most interesting factor is that a lot of folk believed that the graffiti & ticket avoiding on the undergrounds were MINOR crimes but they learned that the state of LAWLESSNESS attracted more serious criminals to linger in such areas. The headlines here in Auckland the last two weekends have been repeats of home invasions and it is real easy to predict that if the little F*%&$$##s do not get punished or whatever the rest of the yobbos are going to see this as easy cash and it will tumble fast.

If the wanna-be rappers driving their hoonmobiles have nothing to stand in their way as they drive around clean green (so politically correct, smoke free) New Zealand doing what they please when they feel like it including all hours of the night. AND NOTHING IS GETTING DONE !!!!! So we are telling the little F*%^#s that they can do as they please and get away with it and if they do get stopped by a policeman they can just swear abuse etc etc as the police have ZERO RIGHTS.

WHAT THE F#*^K? IS GOING ON? Do I / we not have rights as taxpayers to DEMAND that the airhead politicians PROTECT us and our children. Well hello I read about police getting beaten up right left & centre cause little hooners are all P’d up & nothing better to do.

I agree, Singapore is far more clan green than NZ and you will not find one stitch of graffiti on their walls. Why? Cause there is a price to pay.

Get rid of the airhead politicians and get people in to power that CAN MAKE DECISIONS based on WHAT THE PEOPLE WANT and GET THE JOB DONE – RIGHT.

So there we go, I too had a wee rant. Perhaps this has therapeuticall value cause there must be loads more folk out there that feel the same about the pathetic situation.

Anyways,

Cheers mate & enjoy your kids, they grow up so darn fast and they are precious.
Old Sep 25th 2006, 7:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Hello! Why don't we all start lobbying our MPs?????????????? I did not come to NZ to suffer the same crime waves that we have in the UK!!!!!! It must not be allowed to happen!!

I will be talking to my MP about the said 'writing on the wall'...it is very clear to me that zero tolerence is the way ahead...and the only option. I am in no way suggesting vigilante style stuff...just giving the cops some 'teeth', getting the courts to back them up and get REAL tough on crime!!!!!!!!!!!! We are the majority and they are a very small minority (yet they wreak havoc!!!!), if we all pull together we can make a difference.

We can all make a start by contacting our MPs...we the public can and do make changes..we can either be apathetic and say "ah well, what can I do??"..,,,well you can empowere yourself and you can lobby, you can join neighbourhood watch...(they do work and as an ex police officer I know they do)...you can litter pick..I do all the time..a well cared for neighbourhood is proven to be less likely suffereing from crime. You can call the grafitti line if you see any..get that dumped car removed...THE ANSWER LIES WITH US THE GREAT NZ PUBLIC!!!!!!!!!

Any other ideas for reducing all crime types gratefully received. Please, please please...for the sake of this wonderful country tell a friend..lets mobilise ourselves and start the way for a better, brighter future.