Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Graveyard of Imported Appliances

Graveyard of Imported Appliances

Old Jan 7th 2017, 5:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

escapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Graveyard of Imported Appliances

Originally Posted by Pulaski
See below ("On the other hand ...."), this anomaly occured because you specified 3Kw as the constant, when in fact the resistance is the constant.

Go look at the meaning of "immaterial" - I even hyperlinked it for you - in short 230v will push a dangerous current through a 3Kw appliance in NZ, 240v is slightly worse. If the difference you pointed out made a difference between dangerous and not dangerous, or even marginally dangerous v dangerous then the difference certainly would have been material, but when anything over 10A is dangerous and the difference between 230v and 240v is that one has a current draw of 12.5A and the other has a current draw of 13.04A (these number are upside down, because the power produced is not the constant in this scenario), which I would contend makes the difference immaterial, because both are seriously dangerous.

On the other hand I could poke a hole in your entire calculation because you have taken the power rating as a constant when in fact the constant is resistance in this scenario (the behaviour of one specific appliance), where "voltage = current x resistance" or "resistance = voltage/ current", so if, as you calculated the current at 230v = 13.043A, then the current at 240v = 13.61A.

Indeed they would.

The power rating of the appliance which you originally specified in post #3 is the only known constant. The resistance of the appliance is unknown and the material or make up of the alloy that makes the coil or heating element is unknown and the resistance of the coil cannot be calculated as you don't know the current flow.

Resistance of the coil (the heating element where current flow changes to heat) isn't constant as to have a constant resistance the coil must be at a constant temperature which is impossible as it'll go from ambient temperature at switch on to it's operating temperature which may be 1000 degrees C within a few minutes and at the same time it's resistance will increase with heat and again, once the thermostat switches it off when the desired ambient temperature is reached the heating element will cool and the resistance of the coil changes again.

You lost me, but it's all good, I'm over it
Old Jan 7th 2017, 6:47 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by escapedtonz
The power rating of the appliance which you originally specified in post #3 is the only known constant. The resistance of the appliance is unknown and the material or make up of the alloy that makes the coil or heating element is unknown and the resistance of the coil cannot be calculated as you don't know the current flow.

Resistance of the coil (the heating element where current flow changes to heat) isn't constant as to have a constant resistance ...
You're back to materiality again.

This subject has been discussed on other threads, and the closest thing to a constant is the resistance which is only going to vary a little bit. A the rated power most certainly isn't a constant because power is related to voltage, .... which is where this discussion started.

Last edited by Pulaski; Jan 7th 2017 at 7:08 pm.
Old Jan 7th 2017, 7:15 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by escapedtonz

You lost me, but it's all good, I'm over it
Which is just as well. Know you are not alone .
Us lot on the NZ forum know you are all things electrickery

You have simply been "Pulaski'd". Happens to the best of us.
Old Jan 7th 2017, 7:34 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
Which is just as well. Know you are not alone .
Us lot on the NZ forum know you are all things electrickery

You have simply been "Pulaski'd". Happens to the best of us.
"Pulaski'd"...I love it. Almost as good as "Wilmorised".
Old Jan 7th 2017, 9:04 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

Where am I, seems I have fallen in to an alternative realm. Must get back to the grave yard before all is lost....
Old Jan 10th 2017, 12:02 am
Happy in Wellington

RobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond repute

23" widescreen CRT TV - seemed like a huge screen once, then just seemed huge. Gave it away after 5 years or so in NZ.
Kettle lasted about 7 years. Toaster similar.
Various kitchen appliances are still going strong, same with power tools. I changed the last UK plug on one of my tools halfway into year 10 in NZ.
Coupe of electric heaters are still good.
Old Jan 11th 2017, 10:17 pm
Welly bound

Munchkjn has a reputation beyond reputeMunchkjn has a reputation beyond reputeMunchkjn has a reputation beyond reputeMunchkjn has a reputation beyond reputeMunchkjn has a reputation beyond reputeMunchkjn has a reputation beyond reputeMunchkjn has a reputation beyond reputeMunchkjn has a reputation beyond reputeMunchkjn has a reputation beyond reputeMunchkjn has a reputation beyond reputeMunchkjn has a reputation beyond repute

Our two year old UK-bought samsung 37 inch did work with NZ freeview. We can't get the NZ on demand apps though without a factory reset and losing the UK amazon prime app! But there's always chromecast for that sort of thing.
Old Jan 12th 2017, 3:11 am
BE Enthusiast

LoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of light

Our grandfather clock was working but needs a clean, so has stopped working for more than a short time.

Our German Black Forest clock is still working though.

(note: both old school wind-up jobs)
Old Jan 13th 2017, 7:17 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by LoCarb
Our grandfather clock was working but needs a clean, so has stopped working for more than a short time.

How wonderful.
Old Jan 13th 2017, 8:04 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LoCarb

We took a grandfather clock and German Black Forest cuckoo clock to the US with us. After a while exactly the same thing happened to the grandfather clock...but the cuckoo clock was still working.

A few years ago when we moved to a condo in Toronto we gave them to our European friend. Sadly we didn't have room for them. Both are still in good working order.
Old Jan 13th 2017, 9:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

LoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
We took a grandfather clock and German Black Forest cuckoo clock to the US with us. After a while exactly the same thing happened to the grandfather clock...but the cuckoo clock was still working.

A few years ago when we moved to a condo in Toronto we gave them to our European friend. Sadly we didn't have room for them. Both are still in good working order.
Yes, me old dad purchase the GF clock over 60 years ago for 25 quid from an antique shop in South Croydon. He was right proud of it.

(reminds me of that song "My grandfather's clock was too large for the shelf, so it stood ninety years on the floor.").

Problem is, I'm not sure who to hand it on to as my kids don't seem much interested in it.