Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

grandparents....help or hindrance?

grandparents....help or hindrance?

Old Jul 11th 2008, 1:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

iwannagonow has a reputation beyond reputeiwannagonow has a reputation beyond reputeiwannagonow has a reputation beyond reputeiwannagonow has a reputation beyond reputeiwannagonow has a reputation beyond reputeiwannagonow has a reputation beyond reputeiwannagonow has a reputation beyond reputeiwannagonow has a reputation beyond reputeiwannagonow has a reputation beyond reputeiwannagonow has a reputation beyond reputeiwannagonow has a reputation beyond repute
Question grandparents....help or hindrance?

Well, after a couple of months debating whether to move now or wait a while, we finally decided to pull our fingers out & just get on with it!

So, on Wednesday afternoon I sent an email to Tonix (an NZ nursing agency) & bugger me but Heidi, from said agency, called me back the next evening!!

We had a little chat...she was lovely & gave good advice on where to begin! As soon as I had put the phone down I was jumping around like a little girl....it's seems much more real now...I'm getting excited already!

This morning I told my brother of our plans & he was over the moon for us! He even said that him & his wife were thinking the same thing!!!

I am now a little worried, tonight I'm gonna tell my parents! I don't know how they will react..in particular my Mum! Me & my husband are taking away their grandsons! I know they can visit & there are webcams etc, but I'm not sure my Mum's gonna see it that way!

I know she'll be upset, but I don't want her to get angry! :curse:
OMG!! I'm making her sound like an ogre!! She's not like that at all...but I know she's extremely protective over 'her' boys. I know how I'd feel if someone took them to the other side of the world!!

How have your childrens' grandparents reacted? Did they take it well, or was it a complete nightmare?
Old Jul 11th 2008, 1:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

chippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: grandparents....help or hindrance?

My mum and Dad were very excited for us when we said we were thinking about it. We got lots of info for them to look at and they were very positive. Their view was that they had lived their life as they wanted and that we should do the same.
Unfortunately, in January last year my Dad died. With my sister already living in Switzerland, I wasn't sure what she would think now. However, the day after my dad died, she was telling people about our hoped move. We took mum on our recce trip to NZ last August as I wanted her to see where we might be living. We also took our three children, then aged 17, 16 and 14.
So, all I can say is all the best and go for it!

Last edited by chippy64; Jul 11th 2008 at 1:13 pm. Reason: Oops, put wrong parent as dying!
Old Jul 11th 2008, 1:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

iwannagonow has a reputation beyond reputeiwannagonow has a reputation beyond reputeiwannagonow has a reputation beyond reputeiwannagonow has a reputation beyond reputeiwannagonow has a reputation beyond reputeiwannagonow has a reputation beyond reputeiwannagonow has a reputation beyond reputeiwannagonow has a reputation beyond reputeiwannagonow has a reputation beyond reputeiwannagonow has a reputation beyond reputeiwannagonow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chippy64
My mum and Dad were very excited for us when we said we were thinking about it. We got lots of info for them to look at and they were very positive. Their view was that they had lived their life as they wanted and that we should do the same.
Unfortunately, in January last year my Dad died. With my sister already living in Switzerland, I wasn't sure what she would think now. However, the day after my dad died, she was telling people about our hoped move. We took mum on our recce trip to NZ last August as I wanted her to see where we might be living. We also took our three children, then aged 17, 16 and 14.
So, all I can say is all the best and go for it!

Sorry to hear about your Dad!

I hope my parents will be as positive as yours were...you never know, they might even decide to join us!

Are you still going?
Old Jul 11th 2008, 1:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

chippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond repute

Witing to hear! Have just had letter from our case officer asking for more medical info on eldest son but only giving us until 30th July to come up with an orthopaedic review and an allergist review of his asthma and allergies! They have said they will make decision on our application based on info they have, if we don't. So, not brilliant news! Keep fingers crossed for us please!!
How old are your boys and where are you looking at living?
Old Jul 11th 2008, 1:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by chippy64
Witing to hear! Have just had letter from our case officer asking for more medical info on eldest son but only giving us until 30th July to come up with an orthopaedic review and an allergist review of his asthma and allergies! They have said they will make decision on our application based on info they have, if we don't. So, not brilliant news! Keep fingers crossed for us please!!
How old are your boys and where are you looking at living?
My boys are 10 & 5 We are looking at moving to the Bay of Plenty area...preferably Papamoa. What about you?
good luck... I'll be keeping my fingers & toes crossed for you!

Last edited by iwannagonow; Jul 11th 2008 at 1:50 pm. Reason: can't spell!
Old Jul 11th 2008, 1:54 pm
Chocoholic

Yummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to all

Originally Posted by iwannagonow
Well, after a couple of months debating whether to move now or wait a while, we finally decided to pull our fingers out & just get on with it!

So, on Wednesday afternoon I sent an email to Tonix (an NZ nursing agency) & bugger me but Heidi, from said agency, called me back the next evening!!

We had a little chat...she was lovely & gave good advice on where to begin! As soon as I had put the phone down I was jumping around like a little girl....it's seems much more real now...I'm getting excited already!

This morning I told my brother of our plans & he was over the moon for us! He even said that him & his wife were thinking the same thing!!!

I am now a little worried, tonight I'm gonna tell my parents! I don't know how they will react..in particular my Mum! Me & my husband are taking away their grandsons! I know they can visit & there are webcams etc, but I'm not sure my Mum's gonna see it that way!

OMG!! I'm making her sound like an ogre!! She's not like that at all...but I know she's extremely protective over 'her' boys. I know how I'd feel if someone took them to the other side of the world!!

How have your childrens' grandparents reacted? Did they take it well, or was it a complete nightmare?
Hiya

I think this has gotta be one of the hardest things to do.

Its a bag of mixed emotions, and when you tell them, they might get angry or upset. They might dismiss the whole idea "dont be so stupid" etc etc etc

But they usually come round in the end knowing that you are doing it for the kids.

My dad is a STILL a bit submissive about the whole idea of me taking their 2 grandkids away too. I think he still believs that we wont do it in the end. Mum was upset, but has come round to the idea that she can come and visit for months at a time and that it will be better for the girls.

So i am sure it will all be fine, if they realise that its for the better then they should come round..... eventually

Good Luck
xxx
Old Jul 11th 2008, 1:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

My boys are 10 & 5 We are looking at moving to the Bay of Plenty area...preferably Papamoa. What about you?
We are looking to go to Christchurch area to start with - we loved the way you can be at the beach and skiing in the mountains on the same day! Will let you know how we get on! Thank you!
Old Jul 11th 2008, 2:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Yummy_Mummy
Hiya

I think this has gotta be one of the hardest things to do.

Its a bag of mixed emotions, and when you tell them, they might get angry or upset. They might dismiss the whole idea "dont be so stupid" etc etc etc

But they usually come round in the end knowing that you are doing it for the kids.

My dad is a STILL a bit submissive about the whole idea of me taking their 2 grandkids away too. I think he still believs that we wont do it in the end. Mum was upset, but has come round to the idea that she can come and visit for months at a time and that it will be better for the girls.

So i am sure it will all be fine, if they realise that its for the better then they should come round..... eventually

Good Luck
xxx
thanks for that....I hope you're right! x
Old Jul 11th 2008, 2:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

weejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond repute

My in laws were very supportive when we told them,so much so they gave us £10k to do it!! Have since found out though that MIL has been putting on a brave front and is actually very upset at losing her eldest son and 2 grandsons( and me hopefully!!) and has been telling people not to tell us. My OH confronted her and she said she didn't want us to feel bad that she was upset. When he told her that leaving will be hard and that he will be sad no matter how she reacts she seemed a bit better. My dad is behind us 100%,he was ready to go to Oz on £10 ticket years ago but his mum made him feel really guilty about going as I had just been conceived,not getting to see me etc. and he says it is his one big regret and he doesn't want that for us. My mum however doesn't talk about it,never joins in conversations and will walk out the room when we do start to talk about it. She has been unwell the last couple of years with heart failure and I am the nearest geographically out of the 4 siblings,so I see her a lot and so do the boys. She just clams up when we talk about it. She has got it in her head that we are only going for a year to try it out ( we're not hopefully) and I think this is what she is grasping on to at the moment.Neither set of grandparents have said anything bad to the boys,only positive things which has been a big help.

Phyllis
Old Jul 11th 2008, 3:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

gina and danny is a glorious beacon of lightgina and danny is a glorious beacon of lightgina and danny is a glorious beacon of lightgina and danny is a glorious beacon of lightgina and danny is a glorious beacon of lightgina and danny is a glorious beacon of lightgina and danny is a glorious beacon of lightgina and danny is a glorious beacon of lightgina and danny is a glorious beacon of lightgina and danny is a glorious beacon of lightgina and danny is a glorious beacon of light

well OH parents have alreadt put money aside to come see us at christmas though they keep saying their missing us already and we havent left yet!! where as my dad ( raised me by himself) knows weve booked the flights and are leaving soon but keeps phoning ten times a day just to say " are you definately going?" " can i come and live with you cos im gonna be all on my own" ( he isnt ive got 1 brother and 1 sister), hes trying to be supportive but hes useless at it, i cant even let cam ( my 8 year old ) talk on the phone to him cos my dad starts crying and telling him how much he loves him and is going to miss him. ive gotten to the point where i have now turned my house phone off for fear of it being him and cam answering it.

ginax
Old Jul 11th 2008, 3:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Margaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond repute

I am speaking as a Grandmother and my daughter, son-in-law & only grandson went to NZ 2 years ago. Your Mother will be upset as I was. but I am sure she will not be angry. After she gets over the initial shock she will want what's best for her family especially her grandchildren.

My daughter & family live in Papamoa and love it there. We have visited them twice and are going again for Christmas this year.

I love the UK I was born and bred here but am getting very disillusioned with it. Every day there is bad news in the papers of killings etc and the punishment does not fit the crime. Your Mother will realize you are doing what you think is best for you and yours like she did when you were young. Will they be able to visit and see the kind of life you have?

Also make sure they can see you on a webcam this way you will not look so very far away.

June
Old Jul 11th 2008, 3:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

teebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond repute

My parents were really supportive to us and were really happy, they too wanted to emigtate to SA when they were younger, but medical reasons stopped them. Anyway, my fater died 5 weeks ago which then left my mum all by herself, she is still very happy for us, but I know she wants to scream don't go. She does get tears in her eyes when we talk about it, but never ever says anything negative, it does make me think are we doing the right thing, but if you look at the bigger picture you only get one life and you must live it to the best you can, you can't just keep everyone else happy.

We are emigrating with my parents blessing and I have bought mum a laptop with webcam and she is practicing with it and is actually very good, i have also confirmed with her that she is visiting for a few months with my MIL (who is also widowed) on November and staying for a few months.

Sometimes you have got to take the steps and hopefully it's the right ones.

But one thing is for sure, when I get on that plane it will the heart renchig.

x
Old Jul 11th 2008, 6:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thankyou everyone for their replies, I really appreciate it...I'm now sat here with tears in my eyes just thinking how it's gonna break Mum & Dad's heart when we leave I feel so guilty...but it's something we've got to do!

Teebrown - I may get them a webcam too - that's a great idea, so they can practice before we go! Sorry to hear about your Father

June - I hope my parents are as understanding as you are....I know you even advertise your son-in-law's butchers on here! Yes, they will be able to visit...possibly not as much as we'd like due to funds! But when they do visit, it will be spent as quality time rather than a quick cuppa on the way home from work!

Gina - I should imagine my parents (especially my Mum) will end up not being able to talk to either of their grandsons without bursting into tears...I may have to switch off the phone too! How awful is that?

Phyllis - my in laws know we have been considering it & they are in total agreement we are doing the right thing! Although they haven't given us £10,000...unfortunately! LOL!! Not sure what they're like behind closed doors though!

Last edited by iwannagonow; Jul 11th 2008 at 6:49 pm.
Old Jul 11th 2008, 10:19 pm
Forum Regular

CCGM.IN.NZ has much to be proud ofCCGM.IN.NZ has much to be proud ofCCGM.IN.NZ has much to be proud ofCCGM.IN.NZ has much to be proud ofCCGM.IN.NZ has much to be proud ofCCGM.IN.NZ has much to be proud ofCCGM.IN.NZ has much to be proud ofCCGM.IN.NZ has much to be proud ofCCGM.IN.NZ has much to be proud ofCCGM.IN.NZ has much to be proud ofCCGM.IN.NZ has much to be proud of

Hi, my parents were 100% behind us when we told them our plans. They totally understood our reasons for wanting to go. My two children (both teens) are the eldest of their 6 grandchildren so they still have the majority of the grandkids over in the UK. They have been to visit us once already in the 20 months we have been here and are coming over again in September, they love it. I regularly send them home movies of what we all get up to in our new life and lots of photos too. We chat once a week on the phone as Mum and Dad dont have a computer. I wish you luck telling your parents, the hardest part for me was seeing them both cry the night we left
Old Jul 12th 2008, 11:18 pm
Just Joined

WestcountryGirl is an unknown quantity at this point

I just wanted to say that, as a doting grandmother myself, I would have hated it if the rugrats had emmigrated and left me behind - but I would have totally understood and supported the decision to go because the UK is not a good place to be now. Luckily I came out with my daughter, son in law and their two little girls. My son - who is a nurse - joined us shortly afterwards.
That's the other thing I wanted to say, regarding nursing, it takes AGES to get your registration. Be careful of what they tell you in the nursing agencies, it isn't as straightforward as they say it is. There's paperwork, form filling, verification of various things and my son got very frustrated with all the waiting around. Luckily he lived with us until everything was sorted out so had a roof over his head and he didn't starve. Don't leave the UK until you have your registration. I believe that many UK nurses just give up in the end because they get fed up with the lack of cooperation from everybody. It's very frustrating for the hospitals over here but it seems there's nothing that can be done about it. I may be able to get my son to email you direct and let you know details of how long it took and where the problems were - if you like.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.