Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Grandparent Visa Problem...

Grandparent Visa Problem...

Old Jan 13th 2010, 2:09 am
Just Joined

sharks is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Grandparent Visa Problem...

I wonder if anyone can help? - I have a friend who is resident in NZ, and brought her Mum over to live on a Grandparents visa, which apparently is valid for 18 months, providing you leave for a day every six months. Her Mum decided she likes it here in NZ and in October '09 they applied for residency. She also bought a house. Her G'parents Visa expires in April '10. Unfortunately it now takes approx. 18+ months for a residency visa to be approved, so Immigration is telling her that she has to leave the country until(?) her residency visa is approved. This is very unsettling for all parties, especially as her Mum helps look after her kid. Any advice would be much appreciated...
Old Jan 13th 2010, 5:45 am
Account Closed

Stoof is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Grandparent Visa Problem...

hiya

apparently there is the possibilty of a request to waiver the standard conditions.... it would probably be worth your friends while having a look at the residency review board results - there are lots of incidences on there of people appealing the decisions - for things like an altered centre of gravity (perhaps your friend is the only family this lady has now? or for the extended family/childcare situation - some successful, some not)... also, i think that i've read somewhere it's possible to extend the parent/grandparent visa itself.... tho i'm afraid i have no idea where or when i read that! if not, would it be possible for her to remain in the country on a standard visitors visa, which can be extended to 9 months, then renewed again maybe? there is some info on this on the NZIS FAQ page from memory.

the following thread has a link (from BEVS) to the review board, and possibly some other useful comments... over the years there have been quite a few discussions in the 'nz immigration' forum on here about this visa - it might be worth a search in there too...

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=607861

HTH

just stumbled over another old thread that might be useful for links http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=597570

Last edited by Stoof; Jan 13th 2010 at 5:55 am. Reason: added another link
Old Jan 13th 2010, 5:57 am
Just Joined

sharks is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Grandparent Visa Problem...

Originally Posted by Stoof
hiya

apparently there is the possibilty of a request to waiver the standard conditions.... it would probably be worth your friends while having a look at the residency review board results - there are lots of incidences on there of people appealing the decisions - for things like an altered centre of gravity (perhaps your friend is the only family this lady has now? or for the extended family/childcare situation - some successful, some not)... also, i think that i've read somewhere it's possible to extend the parent/grandparent visa itself.... tho i'm afraid i have no idea where or when i read that! if not, would it be possible for her to remain in the country on a standard visitors visa, which can be extended to 9 months, then renewed again maybe? there is some info on this on the NZIS FAQ page from memory.

the following thread has a link (from BEVS) to the review board, and possibly some other useful comments... over the years there have been quite a few discussions in the 'nz immigration' forum on here about this visa - it might be worth a search in there too...

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=607861

HTH

just stumbled over another old thread that might be useful for links http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=597570
Many thanks, that was most helpfull.. Tony