Reload this Page >

Graduate wanting to live in NZ

Graduate wanting to live in NZ

Old Sep 5th 2009, 1:59 pm
Just Joined

dkhazenirad is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Graduate wanting to live in NZ

Hey all I am new to this forum,
Now not completely new to this whole expat situation as my family have been traveling round europe asia and america for over three generations. I have decided that I want out of the UK as I just dont get the whole culture even after living here for 25 years and being born here. I travelled to NZ last year and loved it especially south Island. I have one years work experience but for some reason every time I look at the NZ immigration website they reject me even with an MA and BA. Anyone want to enlighten me, ps I am single person with no dependents.

Cheers D
Old Sep 5th 2009, 2:33 pm
MnB

MnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Graduate wanting to live in NZ

Hi D ... welcome to this friendly, informative forum and good luck with your plans....don't know why you're having probs with NZIS but hopefully someone will be along to help ...
B x
Old Sep 5th 2009, 9:08 pm
Scorchy legs

Dewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi & welcome to you, sorry to hear you are having trouble with NZIS wish I could shed light but am not able to someone will be able to help.

Welcome to this site anyway

Dewb
Old Sep 5th 2009, 9:37 pm
Northern Monkey

adamlt1972 is a name known to alladamlt1972 is a name known to alladamlt1972 is a name known to alladamlt1972 is a name known to alladamlt1972 is a name known to alladamlt1972 is a name known to alladamlt1972 is a name known to alladamlt1972 is a name known to alladamlt1972 is a name known to alladamlt1972 is a name known to alladamlt1972 is a name known to all

Hi,
I'm assuming you've done the points assessment on the NZ Immigration website? You get points for your age, your qualifications, your profession, your work experience and whether or not you've got a job offer in NZ.
If you're failing to gain the necessary number of points in the points assessment I would imagine it's as a result of you not having sufficient post qualification work experience and/or a job offer from NZ. If so, your choices may be to work in the Uk for a couple more years, or start looking for jobs in NZ.
Old Sep 5th 2009, 10:20 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by dkhazenirad
Hey all I am new to this forum,
Welcome to the BE NZ forum

I have one years work experience but for some reason every time I look at the NZ immigration website they reject me even with an MA and BA. Anyone want to enlighten me

Cheers D
I'm sorry but I don't understand what you mean by this. What is it you are looking at or doing when you visit the NZIS website please?

As adamlt1972 states, if your wish is to emigrate to NZ then your first port of call is the points indicator. If you wish to simply work here for a while , then you need a job offer.
Old Sep 5th 2009, 11:33 pm
Just Joined

Hi all,

its great to be here and thanks for your kindly hellos!
I apologise I may of not mentioned the NZIS points checker and from this I seem to come short of the application. But the query I have is there anyway by going to New Zealand before applying for the actual EOI and gaining more points? Or is it a case of simply just apply for jobs over there and hoping for the best.

Kindest, D
Old Sep 6th 2009, 1:57 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

How many points do you currently have? The minimum is 100.

If you can gain an NZ job offer, particularly if your skill is in long term shortage, then you could gain more points.

If you do gain an NZ job offer, then you can come to work in NZ by applying for a temporary work visa. You will need the job offer first.
The job offer needs to be genuine and your skills plus work experience should match the job offer.
Old Sep 6th 2009, 3:12 am
Northern Monkey

adamlt1972 is a name known to alladamlt1972 is a name known to alladamlt1972 is a name known to alladamlt1972 is a name known to alladamlt1972 is a name known to alladamlt1972 is a name known to alladamlt1972 is a name known to alladamlt1972 is a name known to alladamlt1972 is a name known to alladamlt1972 is a name known to alladamlt1972 is a name known to all

Dependent on your age and country of origin you might be able to use the working holiday visa as a way of working in NZ for a limited time. You may then give potential employers the opportuntiy to take a look at you and see if they'd be prepared to get you a longer term visa (such as a Work to Residence visa)
Old Sep 6th 2009, 1:15 pm
Just Joined

Hi all,

I am a UK citizen born and bread here in the North. I am just looking at the long term shortage of skills and when I checked last year they seemed to have my area of work. I work in museums and arts so quite specific occupation qualitites. But having a look at the moment from the the shortage skills page there seems to be a gigantic cull on the creative arts side of work. boo...
I just checked the points indicator again and sadly I only seem to score 85 even with all this education behind me. Its a shame I should be in a relationship with someone it seems like to even get a look in. All advice would be appreciated and thanks for all you comments!

Cheers, D
Old Sep 6th 2009, 7:07 pm
Northern Monkey

I think your only options would be to try and get more work experience or a job offer to increase your point score.
If you're under 31 (I think), you can apply for the Working Holiday Visa which allows you to work on a more casual basis in NZ.
Old Sep 6th 2009, 7:14 pm
Just Joined

Yep looks like the only option I suppose, sadly I have already used my token at the working holiday visa section, and sadly never got chance to stay any longer as having to return to the UK. Thanks everyone for your help.

Cheers,
D

PS northernmonkey were you the fella with the dog who I showed my camper to over a year ago outside your house you do look similar from the small image??
Old Sep 7th 2009, 5:46 am
Northern Monkey

PS northernmonkey were you the fella with the dog who I showed my camper to over a year ago outside your house you do look similar from the small image??
Well I've never had a dog (sadly) and wasn't in NZ a year ago (I would've been in Lancashire then) so probably not though. Bet the camper wasd good though
Old Sep 8th 2009, 10:11 pm
appreciate life

willand tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by adamlt1972
Well I've never had a dog (sadly) and wasn't in NZ a year ago (I would've been in Lancashire then) so probably not though. Bet the camper wasd good though
Welcome to be, and hope you get things sorted out with immigration as you wish
Tina, x