British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Got the Job offer - is it too early??? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/got-job-offer-too-early-504086/)

samsuth Jan 6th 2008 8:41 pm

Got the Job offer - is it too early???

Just before Christmas DHL delivered a large envelope containing a job offer
which we were ecstatic about but were now feeling quite low - is it too early to be getting excited about a forthcoming move??

The children are desperate to tell their friends but we cant help but feeling cautious. It still seems so far away.

Nerine Jan 6th 2008 9:09 pm

Re: Got the Job offer - is it too early???

I understand how you feel, sometimes getting the job offer can be the easy bit.

Lots of work ahead getting visas sorted, house sold, saying goodbyes but there's plenty of people here who will help you through it, we've all been there just ask for help whenever you need it.

Have some good luck karma.

simonmarkellis Jan 6th 2008 9:31 pm

It may seem to eary but believe me the time will fly, so don't be frightened of telling people, we found the earlier you told them, the easier things were in the long run.

best wishes

Simon

gazzer15 Jan 8th 2008 7:48 pm

Originally Posted by samsuth (Post 5748816)
which we were ecstatic about but were now feeling quite low - is it too early to be getting excited about a forthcoming move??

The children are desperate to tell their friends but we cant help but feeling cautious. It still seems so far away.

Lucky so and so we are going out in april and as yet have not got a job offer but seriously good on you. Which part are you going to abd when? What do you do for a living?

All the best
Gazzer

phil01 Jan 8th 2008 7:54 pm

Tell people, get excited this is the time to enjoy it...plenty of time will be taken with the planning and organising so make the most of the quiet time...it won't last!

Congratulations on the Job!

samsuth Jan 8th 2008 9:21 pm

Originally Posted by gazzer15 (Post 5759639)
Lucky so and so we are going out in april and as yet have not got a job offer but seriously good on you. Which part are you going to abd when? What do you do for a living?

All the best
Gazzer

Hi

Job offer in Blenheim - we need to get the visas sorted and then away we go!!!!

Good luck with getting a job offer!1

dreamfish Jan 9th 2008 2:36 am

Hi there - I can kinda empathise with the whole anti-climax thing. I think its the reality of it all comes home. Somebody in another country wants you to go and work for them. Its a strange feeling. I was almost protective of my DP when he got his offer through and I wanted to remind them that he is ours!!! I know that sounds a bit psychotic - but we had all kinds of feelings of dread, facing the enormity of it all.

What you have achieved is fantastic though. Many people here dont end up getting an job offer till they arrive. So you are to be congratulated on that. And it will go a long way to securing a visa.

First thing to check is how long the job offer is open for and make sure there are allowances for flexibility on your start date if possible.

Now go with the flow! :eek:

carriem41 Jan 9th 2008 2:55 am

Youve been a member since 2004...have you been to another country since? If not....get EXCITED!!!!! Tell everyone sooner rather than later so they can get used to the idea and it also makes it more real for you too.

Nice Guy Jan 9th 2008 3:23 am

Just a small observation.................

Just an observation but when we told 'friends' I was amazed at some of the responses we got, ranging from jolly good luck to I never want to see you again.

Peoples behavior can be very odd and it was interesting, even for a fleeting moment, to observe their replies.

In total I probably keep in regular contact with one or perhaps two of them..............and that is only courtesy of my 'Very risky joke' mailing list!

Good luck!

NG

irnbru14 Jan 9th 2008 3:26 am

Re: Just a small observation.................

Originally Posted by Nice Guy (Post 5761616)
Just an observation but when we told 'friends' I was amazed at some of the responses we got, ranging from jolly good luck to I never want to see you again.

Peoples behavior can be very odd and it was interesting, even for a fleeting moment, to observe their replies.

In total I probably keep in regular contact with one or perhaps two of them..............and that is only courtesy of my 'Very risky joke' mailing list!

Good luck!

NG

Yeah, its weird how folks react, I even got some very good friend saying "you'll never actually go through with it" which was very strange...but its amazing how folks react, but its my life and i'll do what the hell I want with it :p:rofl:

Maz Jan 9th 2008 3:31 am

Re: Just a small observation.................

Originally Posted by Nice Guy (Post 5761616)

Good luck!

NG

^^ Very true! You find out who your friends are, that's for sure. Well, you think you do. The list of people you keep in touch with might change once you've actually moved.