Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Got a bit of a story to tell..........

Got a bit of a story to tell..........

Old May 25th 2008, 6:40 am
Forum Regular

hjmilligan is a glorious beacon of lighthjmilligan is a glorious beacon of lighthjmilligan is a glorious beacon of lighthjmilligan is a glorious beacon of lighthjmilligan is a glorious beacon of lighthjmilligan is a glorious beacon of lighthjmilligan is a glorious beacon of lighthjmilligan is a glorious beacon of lighthjmilligan is a glorious beacon of lighthjmilligan is a glorious beacon of lighthjmilligan is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Got a bit of a story to tell..........

Plllleeeeeaaasssee Ian,we have waited sooooo long
Update?
Old May 25th 2008, 6:55 am
BE Enthusiast

Ian & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond repute

I can remember thinking, I don’t mean thinking about how people would react to us coming back or peoples reaction to our new baby, stuff that. I mean stuff that in the nicest of ways, but we were going to land in a few hours and we had no job, a temporay place to live and I do mean temporary. I did not tell you what our living arrangements were going to be did I? Well Sharon and the kids were going to be staying at her Mum & Dads and I was going to be staying at her Sisters who as you know lives round the corner, great eh! They said that there was not enough room to put me up but I new it was because they hated me by now! And they did make sure that we knew it was only going to be for a couple of months at the most. Anyway what do you do, it’s a bit like people going to New Zealand with no job, house etc but at least they were going on an adventure, for us we were going back to something we knew and something I for one had longed to leave a few months ago, the question and soon to be realisation was what would the UK offer British Emigrants. Come on if every man and his dog from different Countries around the World get what we read in the paper then surely we would get treated a lot better? Well we’ll see next week I thought!
Then I heard that “ping-pong” which tell you to fasten your seat belt, you can usually tell that most of the aircraft we all flew in are old, basically they still have the “put out your fags” light as well!
We used Singapore to fly back and they were great, I would not use anyone else if I had the choice and the bonus is all there airhostess’s have nice tight little bottoms (I’m sure I have said that before)
So we landed in Manchester, it was weird flying over some of my old customers in Stockport, I was thinking if I’d ever talk to them again about lift trucks, God I’m sad!
The first thing I noticed when we landed was how many Black faces there was, people will find that comment racist, so what it’s was one of my first thoughts and by Christ there was bloody loads, another thing was the toilets. You see at the time I was a dedicated smoker so one of the first things I did was to make a bee line to the toilets for a smoke, I’d done this in Auckland and in Singapore. So I went to the toilets in Manchester, my God what a state. After all that time flying from Singapore I did not bother lighting up, the toilets were bloody disgusting and I thought it was an absolute disgrace for people new to the UK to have to use them, I will not describe the state of them just that the smell alone made me borke.

Anyway we were stood there waiting for the suit cases, Sharon was quiet, Harry and Millie were too but I think they were just knackered, me well I was dying for a cigy and just wanted to get the bags and go! Well the cases came and went, people who I knew had put there’s in before and after us had got there’s and we were one of the only families left, just the two of the buggers came up as well as the pram and car seat. But not the one with the marked one, yep the marked one was no where to be seen. Bloody great, you see the marked one was the one with all Sharon’s jewellery in it. Now as you know I was at one point in my working life on bloody good money, now the Shazzer got great Christmas and Birthday presents out of me in total the last time we values her stash it was over 10K’s worth (if we were ever skint this would be the first to go)
Anyway we waited and waited and waited, I looked at Sharon and I don’t know if it was because I was tiered and wanted a smoke or was plain and simply p1ssed off, but I must have given Sharon one of my “not happy” look’s as she bust in to tears! Great, the thing that we had not done and this is a top tip for anyone coming or going is to separate all the cloths in to different cases, the thing is this case had all Millie’s and some of Harry’s cloth’s in so as you can imagine if we did not get the case back we would have to buy everything you need for a new born, which is costly for a family with no income!
So we made our way through customs and in to the arrivals part of the airport, FFS how many people were there, not meeting us off the plane, no bugger met us. But in general there was just far too many people, being honest I crapped myself everything seamed so claustrophobic with people running about like headless chicken and for the PC correct out there not all were black just 75%.
We were meeting Sharon’s cousin he was the only one we knew who not only had a large car but could meet us at 8am on a Wednesday morning, I went outside because I thought he might be there, it’s a kick in the knackerer’s when you fly all that way and there’s no one there to meet you, I started to think why and get myself paranoid. Bloody hell we have moved back and no one like’s us, it’s a horrible feeling. Remember at the end of the day you have moved back because not only have you missed the place but you have missed the people and you come out of them “bloody glass door’s” and there’s no one there.
In the end we all ended up standing outside, it was the end of November and bloody hell I was cold, it was grey, dull and cold. It was the first time in ages that I had seen my own breath when I brethed out, shite or what! I hated it all ready and had not even got out from the airport, if this was the UK then stuff this I’d love to go back to that place on the other side of the World where people speak with that ridicules accent and talk about nothing but the “All Black’s”
Flecking all blacks, it’s not just the all blacks it’s all the other hangers on. Here you go for starters and if anyone can join in then please feel free, remember there all sports team’s!

Starters for one!

All Blacks
Tall Blacks
Wheel Blacks
Black socks
Black caps
High blacks

Now white stuff!

All whites
Tall whites
Real whites

Now fern stuff

Silver ferns

There are loads of them but I can’t think of them all now, must be living here you tend to forget who the losers were!!!!!!!
Old May 25th 2008, 7:02 am
Forum Regular

Dave n Ann is just really niceDave n Ann is just really niceDave n Ann is just really niceDave n Ann is just really niceDave n Ann is just really niceDave n Ann is just really niceDave n Ann is just really niceDave n Ann is just really nice

Ian and Sharon.

Well done to the both of you, throwing off the easy option of staying in the UK and always wondering what may have been....

I think you should start up your own franchise/branch and give those complacent locals a run for their comission, what with the extra mouth to feed n-all.

Maybe time to get a new suit holder....and some booties for ben while your at it.

Congratulations Sharon, we're behind you both all the way.......

PS cant work the spell check, sorry, newbie.
Old May 25th 2008, 8:09 am
Niamh,Paul + 4 :)

Baby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to behold

AAAHHHHHH dont stop there to Short Ian waiting ages for that very good and man that must have been very hard hope it got a bit better for you both
Old May 25th 2008, 10:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Nice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Got a bit of a story to tell..........

As usual a bloody good read!
Old May 28th 2008, 9:16 pm
Forum Regular

sunshine n jim is a jewel in the roughsunshine n jim is a jewel in the roughsunshine n jim is a jewel in the roughsunshine n jim is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Ian & Sharon
I can remember thinking, I don’t mean thinking about how people would react to us coming back or peoples reaction to our new baby, stuff that. I mean stuff that in the nicest of ways, but we were going to land in a few hours and we had no job, a temporay place to live and I do mean temporary. I did not tell you what our living arrangements were going to be did I? Well Sharon and the kids were going to be staying at her Mum & Dads and I was going to be staying at her Sisters who as you know lives round the corner, great eh! They said that there was not enough room to put me up but I new it was because they hated me by now! And they did make sure that we knew it was only going to be for a couple of months at the most. Anyway what do you do, it’s a bit like people going to New Zealand with no job, house etc but at least they were going on an adventure, for us we were going back to something we knew and something I for one had longed to leave a few months ago, the question and soon to be realisation was what would the UK offer British Emigrants. Come on if every man and his dog from different Countries around the World get what we read in the paper then surely we would get treated a lot better? Well we’ll see next week I thought!
Then I heard that “ping-pong” which tell you to fasten your seat belt, you can usually tell that most of the aircraft we all flew in are old, basically they still have the “put out your fags” light as well!
We used Singapore to fly back and they were great, I would not use anyone else if I had the choice and the bonus is all there airhostess’s have nice tight little bottoms (I’m sure I have said that before)
So we landed in Manchester, it was weird flying over some of my old customers in Stockport, I was thinking if I’d ever talk to them again about lift trucks, God I’m sad!
The first thing I noticed when we landed was how many Black faces there was, people will find that comment racist, so what it’s was one of my first thoughts and by Christ there was bloody loads, another thing was the toilets. You see at the time I was a dedicated smoker so one of the first things I did was to make a bee line to the toilets for a smoke, I’d done this in Auckland and in Singapore. So I went to the toilets in Manchester, my God what a state. After all that time flying from Singapore I did not bother lighting up, the toilets were bloody disgusting and I thought it was an absolute disgrace for people new to the UK to have to use them, I will not describe the state of them just that the smell alone made me borke.

Anyway we were stood there waiting for the suit cases, Sharon was quiet, Harry and Millie were too but I think they were just knackered, me well I was dying for a cigy and just wanted to get the bags and go! Well the cases came and went, people who I knew had put there’s in before and after us had got there’s and we were one of the only families left, just the two of the buggers came up as well as the pram and car seat. But not the one with the marked one, yep the marked one was no where to be seen. Bloody great, you see the marked one was the one with all Sharon’s jewellery in it. Now as you know I was at one point in my working life on bloody good money, now the Shazzer got great Christmas and Birthday presents out of me in total the last time we values her stash it was over 10K’s worth (if we were ever skint this would be the first to go)
Anyway we waited and waited and waited, I looked at Sharon and I don’t know if it was because I was tiered and wanted a smoke or was plain and simply p1ssed off, but I must have given Sharon one of my “not happy” look’s as she bust in to tears! Great, the thing that we had not done and this is a top tip for anyone coming or going is to separate all the cloths in to different cases, the thing is this case had all Millie’s and some of Harry’s cloth’s in so as you can imagine if we did not get the case back we would have to buy everything you need for a new born, which is costly for a family with no income!
So we made our way through customs and in to the arrivals part of the airport, FFS how many people were there, not meeting us off the plane, no bugger met us. But in general there was just far too many people, being honest I crapped myself everything seamed so claustrophobic with people running about like headless chicken and for the PC correct out there not all were black just 75%.
We were meeting Sharon’s cousin he was the only one we knew who not only had a large car but could meet us at 8am on a Wednesday morning, I went outside because I thought he might be there, it’s a kick in the knackerer’s when you fly all that way and there’s no one there to meet you, I started to think why and get myself paranoid. Bloody hell we have moved back and no one like’s us, it’s a horrible feeling. Remember at the end of the day you have moved back because not only have you missed the place but you have missed the people and you come out of them “bloody glass door’s” and there’s no one there.
In the end we all ended up standing outside, it was the end of November and bloody hell I was cold, it was grey, dull and cold. It was the first time in ages that I had seen my own breath when I brethed out, shite or what! I hated it all ready and had not even got out from the airport, if this was the UK then stuff this I’d love to go back to that place on the other side of the World where people speak with that ridicules accent and talk about nothing but the “All Black’s”
Flecking all blacks, it’s not just the all blacks it’s all the other hangers on. Here you go for starters and if anyone can join in then please feel free, remember there all sports team’s!

Starters for one!

All Blacks
Tall Blacks
Wheel Blacks
Black socks
Black caps
High blacks

Now white stuff!

All whites
Tall whites
Real whites

Now fern stuff

Silver ferns

There are loads of them but I can’t think of them all now, must be living here you tend to forget who the losers were!!!!!!!
really enjoyed reading so far, need to have next bit and all the rest as i cant wait to find out how your lives have turned out and where and what you are doing now? please dont keep us waiting too long.
all the best to you natalie
Old May 28th 2008, 10:32 pm
Forum Regular

hjmilligan is a glorious beacon of lighthjmilligan is a glorious beacon of lighthjmilligan is a glorious beacon of lighthjmilligan is a glorious beacon of lighthjmilligan is a glorious beacon of lighthjmilligan is a glorious beacon of lighthjmilligan is a glorious beacon of lighthjmilligan is a glorious beacon of lighthjmilligan is a glorious beacon of lighthjmilligan is a glorious beacon of lighthjmilligan is a glorious beacon of light

Great to read your next chapter Ian. Your story is from the heart thats why it is such a great read. Keep it coming
Old May 30th 2008, 11:29 am
Just Joined

expatwannabe has a brilliant futureexpatwannabe has a brilliant futureexpatwannabe has a brilliant futureexpatwannabe has a brilliant futureexpatwannabe has a brilliant futureexpatwannabe has a brilliant future

Oh my god.....what happens next!!!!!

I am new to his forum (in fact any forum) and have found most of the comments and tips given really useful - but this story is fantastic!! Instead of doing a presentation I have to give next Wed, I have spent the morning gripped by this tale.

My OH and I are seriously thinking about making the move and are coming to NZ in a few weeks for a quick look around. Your story highlights the common and personal issues that faces all of those who decide to try something new. I can't wait for the next installment....seriously
Old Jun 8th 2008, 12:30 pm
Joe Camel

silverwing86 will become famous soon enoughsilverwing86 will become famous soon enough

Oh Ian, Ian, where art thou Ian ???
Old Jul 10th 2008, 1:06 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

I've just seen 'im doing a wee post today, so BUMP
Old Jul 10th 2008, 4:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Rascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond repute

B***dy H*ll, are you still here you two? LOL
Hows it going mate?
We settled in nicely now in OZ and loving every minute of it!!
Catch up soon?
Old Jul 11th 2008, 10:07 pm
Forum Regular

Soppydot4 has much to be proud ofSoppydot4 has much to be proud ofSoppydot4 has much to be proud ofSoppydot4 has much to be proud ofSoppydot4 has much to be proud ofSoppydot4 has much to be proud ofSoppydot4 has much to be proud ofSoppydot4 has much to be proud ofSoppydot4 has much to be proud ofSoppydot4 has much to be proud ofSoppydot4 has much to be proud of

Please carry on the suspense is killing me ....
Old Jul 12th 2008, 12:28 am
BE Enthusiast

Ian & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond repute

So we waited and waited, after about half an hour stood outside Mark turned up. He was very apologetic and explained that the M6 was plain and simply packed and he was stuck in a traffic jam, it had taken him an hour and a half from Billinge, usually it would be 40 minutes. We loaded up the car and began the journey back “home” I for one was not looking forward to this part of the trip, I wish I could fast forward it to the part were I’m in the pub with my mates on a Saturday afternoon, but I guess that only happens in the movies.
We got out of the airport and started to que on to the M56, I could not get over how grey the whole place was and how busy and unhappy people looked, it was a bit of a shock seeing this again. You tend to forget the not so good things about the UK and focus on the good things, especially when your moving back. This is what we’d done and now seeing the looks on peoples faces as the struddled with the morning traffic was a shock, but we were use to this when we lived here and copped with it surly we could get back to a routine and carry on with our lives or would we just think of what we once had and pine for them fantastic views and pace of life.

So we were on the M6 going back to pour old insignificant lives or were we? After all we had been out of the Country for just short of a year that must count for something, it did to me! in that small space of time we had learned that what ever life throws at you we as a family could cope with it and nine times out of ten catch it and throw it firmly back, in short we’d learned to deal with things!
It was mad being on a three lane motorway that continued being a three lane motorway and not ending up a track with “overtaking” lanes every blue moon, it was quite good to see all the new cars on the road even tho you knew most of them were keeping up with the Jones, but at least we knew that the standard of driving had increased by a few hundred %. We turned off the M6 and on to the East Lanc’s this was when it hit me that we had landed, we could see the Thistle hotel were we married a couple of years previous, signs for Haydock park races were I’d ripped so many people off when I was younger! We use to go there minding car’s, you know rich people use to turn up in there expensive cars and we use to ask for a quid to “mind it” sure enough people would pay, but you use to get one or two people who would say “no thanks its got an alarm” we use to reply with “does it put out fires?” sure enough a shinny gold coin was given, usually thrown at us!
Anyway we turned off the Lancs. And were a few minutes away from Sharon’s Mum and Dads, great. Sure enough we tuned down there road and within a flash we were parked outside there house. Just as Mark got out Sharon’s Mum came running to greet her and the kids, not me because I was still the devil! She burst in to tears, God it was a feast of emotion and bloody cold to boot! Sharon’s Dad started to take the mountain of cases and boxes in to their house I followed with a case just because I wanted to see if any alarm would go off when I crossed the threshold! It didn’t so they had not booby trapped any anti Ian devices I was saved for a few hours at least!
So everything was in and we were stood there everyone crying and hugging except me the baby and our Harry, we just stood there! I could not help but think who small the place was, the front room was titchy and I felt closed in. The strange thing was that I could not remember it being this small, in fact we thought bit was big before we left. The thing was we were use to the open plan NZ houses and being blunt a lot more space. Just the Sylvia ask how I was? What could I say! “Fine except I do not want to be hear, great but I wish I was in NZ, stunning nice weather your having!” I opted for the simple reaction “OK” We had a cup of tea and showed the baby off, remember it was the first time they had seen Millie, Sylvia started crying again as Millie nestled in to her. We chit chatted for about half an hour and then they (Sharon’s Mum & Dad) went upstairs, after a few minutes they came down in their work gear, I could not believe it we’d just come back from the other side of the World and they were not even spending the day with us, as quick as you like they were off to work! FFS!
We just sat there in a smaller than we could remember front room thinking what have we done! The thing is Debbie Sharon’s sister had not bothered taking time off and as for my Dada where was he? I said to Sharon that I’d ring him, I picked up the phone and let it ring no answer so I left a message. Remember they were going to NZ in the next couple of weeks for 10 weeks, they were going to stay with us and use our house in Howick as a bit of a base, since we’d come back it had stuffed them up. Anyway I was sure he’d ring latter and come round to see us, after all we were his only family and he did have a new Grand daughter!
We could not really do anything else, all my mates were at work and there was no way I was going out with a new born, stuff that!
Sharon said she was going for a walk round her beloved Asda, fine but I’d be left in the house on my own! What would happen if her Mum came back? Well there was one thing for certain, there wouldn’t be any riveting conversation going on!!!!
I went in to the kitchen and put the kettle on, walked in to the front room just then the front door opened, sh1t it was her Mum, what was I going to say, what would we talk about at the end of the day we had covered the weather a couple of hours ago! I was relieved to see glimpse of long blonde hair and knew it was the Shazzer, she must have forgot her purse or something because she could spend hours in Asda and she’d only been a few minutes. She walked in and said that no one was smiling, you see she’d had this mad romantic idea or illusion that the UK was full of happy people that would stop you and say “hi” something like the Truman show but not as American, the reality was it wasn’t and in fact she had dreamt this as the UK was nothing like this at all. The thing is you do always think that the grass is greener on the other side but we all know its not, it’s just that you want it to be so your mind lets you think that it is, does that make sense? Anyway, the one thing that had hit Sharon flat bang square in the chops was the realisation of England green and pleasant land not being as pleasant or quite so green! She asked me again if we had done the right thing and I told her that we had an escape plan and all she had to do was say the word and we could give it another go but this time in the South Island. I did tell her to think long and hard as I did not want to ping-pong-ping-pong, we just could not manage that financially. Yep the ball was in her court and she had to either run with it or pass the bugger and carry on watching this game of life.
It had got to after 5pm and Sharon’s nieces had come home from school, Lourie and Jody are twins and a really nice set of young girls they were over the moon to see us and Lourie was particularly pleased to see me. I got on with her better than Jody and we had a closer relationship I think I was a bit of a big brother figure to her.
They said that they would help me with my case, as you know there was no room at the inn so I was staying at Debbie’s house, the plan was for me to sleep in the spare bedroom. This room was just being painted as it was getting turned in to Louries room, it would do until we either found a house of our own or moved back to NZ. We walked up the street towards Debbie’s house, God I’d forgot how dirty the streets were, broken glass, litter, cig butts and spots of grey stuff the one thing was certain, my flip-flops were now condemned to inside use only!
We got to the house and I was shocked to see the house over the road boarded up, you see the council now did this to stop druggies entering and shooting up. It looked a right eye sore but not as much of an eye sore as what I was about to see! Now I don’t mean this to sound horrible but when I was shown to Debbie’s spare room I was shocked, I opened the door and was met by a freshly painted baby pink wall’s, no carpet, no curtains and a single blow up bed half set up on one side. So this is why we left New Zealand!
Debbie came in and I went down to greet her, we hugged and she asked was everything ok? What could I say, yes course it was. She asked how thing were and why we had come home, I started to tell her knowing that this was not going to be the last time I told this tale!
Old Jul 12th 2008, 9:56 am

Lenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to behold

Nice one Ian, keep them coming. Still stuck here trying to sell our house. Nightmare or what.
Old Jul 12th 2008, 2:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

j19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond repute

Bloody brilliant update, when's the book out???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.